Skip to content

Baldurs Gate Screenplay Writing

DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
Hello All, It's been a while since I've posted here. I was wondering if anyone had any idea that could help me. See way back at least as far back as 2002, there was a guy named DM who was working on a Baldur's Gate movie Screenplay, or a trilogy of them, and I was wondering if the guy is still about, or if a copy of the script still exists. I have no intention of plagiarism (especially since the protagonist is not a CE Assassin my version and mine can be stretched out because it's Netflix style) but it's been gnawing away ever since I began writing. If anybody knows ANYTHING, let me know!
Post edited by Dazzu on

Comments

• DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    edited May 2020
    If anyone thinks I'm insane:
    http://ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18447&page=2

It should be on either page 2 or 3. I MUST HAVE MORE INFORMATION!

http://web.archive.org/web/20030406004047/http://feedback.blackisle.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2884

This is an archive from the Black Isle Forums. Unfotunately the other pages don't work.
    Post edited by Dazzu on
    There's gotta be someone out there who can help. I want to know at the very least what happened when he presented his screenplays and if I should continue mine, since I'm already 4 episodes of rough draft in!
    If nobody has any insight to this one, does anybody know anybody else who's tried screenwriting for a Baldurs Gate movie or Series? C'mon, this can be a MOMENTOUS occasion, I just need to gather a party before venturing forth (that line is spoken aloud in my script by the way).
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Too bad I don't know anything about that, but maybe other good folks will help you.
    If anyone anywhere has any idea how I can get permission to write the screenplay. Please help! This could be big for me... well no, for all Baldur's Gate fans.
  • AnprionsaAnprionsa Member Posts: 106
    If you do find it... because I believe I remember this, then adapt it to TV and not a movie. Also go ask the fellows at Gibberling3 or even Sandra at her bastion thebaldursextendedworld or something like that (she knows quite a bit).
    edited July 2020
    Anprionsa wrote: »
    If you do find it... because I believe I remember this, then adapt it to TV and not a movie. Also go ask the fellows at Gibberling3 or even Sandra at her bastion thebaldursextendedworld or something like that (she knows quite a bit).

You mean Roxanne? With all due respect, she doesn’t have the, well, best reputation so forgive me if I don’t trust her to not push me into a pit of vipers, and steal all my work like she has others. As for g3... every last board there is related specific to modding. I’ve asked about forming a Baldurs gate series on their discord.

Currently I’m 4 episodes into season 1 script wise but I think I need to put it on indefinite hiatus unless Wizards give me permission and respond to my Twitter pm, should I find their email and see them take pity on my thin wallet.

Please, I need resources, I don’t care if I don’t find DM. I gotta get this series commissioned. It’s my dream as you want this dream too.

Post edited by Dazzu on
    You'd think the potential for a goddamn SERIES would motivate peoples excitement. Unless someone beat me to the punch and wrote more screenplays.
    This thread isn't only about old scripts. Someone talk screenplaying or getting the rights to make this please.
    Would anyone even want to read the screenplay of episode one? There seems to be zero interest in this and that is both depressing and alarming
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Hmm, did you get any response from Wizards of the Coast? As far as I know, they are the ones who hold the IP rights for Baldur's Gate and thus any project regarding that IP will need to have their permission, especially if that project is a commercial one. From what I've read, making videos regarding WotC's IP and putting them on YouTube with ads providing you monetisation is fine according to their fan art policy, but something of the scale of a Netflix type screenplay needs specific written permission from them. I would suggest you to first contact WotC at their official email, before you get your expectations high, cause it's otherwise just going to be a complete waste of your time and your creative talent, especially knowing how protective/possessive WotC is regarding their copyrighted material.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I started writing a screenplay for BG a while ago but I don't believe I've ever mentioned it. The draft has been neglected because I found the odds of selling it unlikely, though I have worked on the plot and how to adapt it to film.

Adapting it to TV would be more ambitious and require a finer rework. More than anything, though, I think any such screenplay would need industry support to be realistic. Producers simply don't just pick up unsolicited screenplays from fans; screenplay writers generally are ingrained with the media community rather than, say, a small area like the BG community.

Screenplay writers also tend to work in teams, so even if there was interest in a BG movie or series, any contribution by the fan community would be insufficient for a fully polished script. Producers also want to know their demographics and the audience before they consider even buying the rights to a script (much less putting up funding for a movie), and I'm concerned that producers would deem the BG fanbase impossible to please due to the discontent over both Siege of Dragonspear and BG3. Producers like to pick safe bets, and they'd need to be convinced that the BG story could appeal to a broader audience.

I think it very much can, and that sort of project would have great potential if the story were properly reworked (a process that takes MANY drafts), but it's worth bearing in mind that the folks who make these things happen come from a different world than the average BG player. You'd need more than one single complete script by one single writer without connections or market research to get a film made.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    The other thing to consider is that WoTC might want any screenplay to be canon. That would mean using the novel (uggghhhh, stab me in the eye!) as at least a template. NOBODY wants to see an adaptation of Abdel Adrian and his cringeworthy adventures...