Skip to content

Dark Envoy

KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

Remember Tower of Time? The devs over Event Horizon have another RPG coming for 2020: Dark Envoy. :)

At first I was unsure what exactly to make out of it. Given that the steam page lists it as Turn-Based with influences from both Divinity and XCOM franchises. Although the devs apparently took inspiration from Mass Effect and Dragon Age as well. Putting me at a loss of whenever or not to wishlist it. Needless to say it's radically different from Tower of Time with its wave-like RTwP combat.

But then I came across this juicy piece of information from the devs just some minutes ago:
"We are not happy with TB so far, feels too slugish and repetitive -- so we're experimenting now with Real Time with Bullet Time.

We try to make it very different than even done before - more tactical, with physics-based skills for nice combos and more flexibile approach to classes. We're not 100% sure yet - but it is far more dynamic and engaging than TB, but still it is not button smashing but more refined experience.

We'll post an update + some gameplay video soon."

source
Now that changes everything in my book. And for the better! :smiley:
Rik_Kirtaniyakanisatha

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Dark Envoy has been on my wishlist since they announced they were making it. What Tower of Time did right, they did exceptionally well, and what they did wrong, can be easily approved on. They are a developer I am keeping my eye on for sure.

That said, I will probably wait for reviews and a few patches before picking it up. I wasn't a fan of Bullet Time, preferring pause for example, so that maybe a deal breaker if they don't implement both like they did last time.
    Rik_KirtaniyaKamigoroshi
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    But then I came across this juicy piece of information from the devs just some minutes ago:
    "We are not happy with TB so far, feels too slugish and repetitive -- so we're experimenting now with Real Time with Bullet Time.

We try to make it very different than even done before - more tactical, with physics-based skills for nice combos and more flexibile approach to classes. We're not 100% sure yet - but it is far more dynamic and engaging than TB, but still it is not button smashing but more refined experience.

We'll post an update + some gameplay video soon."

source
    Now that changes everything in my book. And for the better! :smiley:

<3
    YEAH!!!!
    Kamigoroshi
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Interesting. What exactly is Real Time with Bullet time? I'd be honest, I'm unfamiliar with the concept.

I still need to check Tower of Time. I got it once for free on GoG, but haven't got a chance to play it yet.
    Kamigoroshi
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    @Cahir I found this.
    Kamigoroshi
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited May 2020
    Generally speaking Bullet Time is a slowdown time during high speed movements. It's mainly used inside movies, such as Matrix's bullet dodging. Depending of how Event Horizon handles their take on that concept, it could turn out to be far better than Fallout's VATS. Couple that with Dark Envoy's Steampunk setting, airships, vintage firearms and tech spellcasting and it becomes something rather unique indeed.
    Rik_Kirtaniya
    Instead of pausing the action, it slows time down significantly. Think Dead Eye in RDR if you ever played that.

In Tower of Time you had to control four characters to fight waves of enemies pouring out at you. It was difficult to plan tactics properly as some abilities had you drawing lines across pathways or properly placing AoE spells all while attempting to avoid the enemies AoE spells and other annoyingly fun tactics. It was still hectic to switch between characters, have them target the right enemy (sometimes they wouldn’t, although this felt like a design choice) and still manage the flow properly to win the fight. Bullet time still relies on twitch timing instead of tactical timing and if you’re too slow it was a difficult slog.

If you only controlled one character, then bullet time would be fine but Dark Envoy looks like it is going to be party based again.
    Kamigoroshi
    Looks like the devs will include a hardcore difficulty setting where the player will be unable to recruit compansions other than the two siblings. So I imagine it will be somewhat akin to a solo run in Tower of Time. Otherwise the party will be made of four out of eight(?) companions.

I myself wasn't the greatest of fans of the waves either. Given it's a prominent part in mobile games. Dark Envoy luckily doesn't seem to have them. As I understood, players will be able to position themselves and ambush encounters before the battle starts. Though afaik that was before the Bullet Time decision was known. Hence why I am looking forward to that upcoming update where they will showcase the new comba style.
    edited May 2020
    Generally speaking Bullet Time is a slowdown time during high speed movements. It's mainly used inside movies, such as Matrix's bullet dodging. Depending of how Event Horizon handles their take on that concept, it could turn out to be far better than Fallout's VATS. Couple that with Dark Envoy's Steampunk setting, airships, vintage firearms and tech spellcasting and it becomes something rather unique indeed.

Yeah, I know what bullet time is, I played Max Payne, Fallout 3 and NV, watched Matrix etc. I just can't imagine how it would work with isometric(ish) crpg.
    @Cahir You could try out Tower of Time for getting a first impression of real time with bullet time. I mean, you already own the title after all. Might just as well play it once. :)

Event Horizon will also soon post a steam update about their new combat approach. I am keeping an eye on their steam page for sating my own curiousity as well.
    @Cahir You could try out Tower of Time for getting a first impression of real time with bullet time. I mean, you already own the title after all. Might just as well play it once. :)

Event Horizon will also soon post a steam update about their new combat approach. I am keeping an eye on their steam page for sating my own curiousity as well.

I was under impression that ToT is not bullet time crpg and devs want to change that wih Dark Envoy. Interesting, I'll definitely try it out someday.
    Kamigoroshi
    Looks like the devs will include a hardcore difficulty setting where the player will be unable to recruit compansions other than the two siblings. So I imagine it will be somewhat akin to a solo run in Tower of Time. Otherwise the party will be made of four out of eight(?) companions.

I myself wasn't the greatest of fans of the waves either. Given it's a prominent part in mobile games. Dark Envoy luckily doesn't seem to have them. As I understood, players will be able to position themselves and ambush encounters before the battle starts. Though afaik that was before the Bullet Time decision was known. Hence why I am looking forward to that upcoming update where they will showcase the new comba style.

I didn’t mind the wave combat, it just got repetitive quickly and the different enemy types tended to blend together with none standing out.
    edited August 2020

New footage of the story intro and sone condensed gameplay.

So glad they ditched the initiallly planned TB combat and now deliver two modes: Normal mode is real-time and Tactical mode slows down time, yet doesn't stop combat. Turns out the devs really did go for the Matrix bullet time approach.

Character creation is still a work in progress. Customizing the twins is nice and all. But I kind of wished that we could pick a race besides human. Even if that would require more narrative flexibility for the plot.
    kanisatha
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Thanks for the updates on this game, @Kamigoroshi. I also might opt to put it on my wishlist now that TB is thankfully gone. But combat does look rather brutal, and I'm not sure how fun it will be if you constantly have to reload because you got killed.
    Kamigoroshi
    Well, it is still a work in progress after all. The devs even pushed back the release date to April/May 2021 in order to iron things out. But it's true that Event Horizon seems to put special empathy on battle here. I wouldn't be surprised to see lots of spell casting, gun fighting and melee action here.

In other news, a demo is also planned to soon hit their discord.
    kanisatha