Skip to content

How Overpowered Would A Kensai/Mage/Thief Multi Be?

The post is as it says on the tin. This would be a solo character, given the kit via EEKeeper. Otherwise, nothing changed. Just a single Kensageif against the harsh north.

Comments

• Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Pretty powerful, but definitely interesting. It's just the extra to-hit and damage added with FMT and the occasional Kai, which is somewhat of an overkill, considering that solo FMT itself can already easily steamroll the game. (I would suggest Fighter/Mage/Shadowdancer for even more power ;) ). I guess limited rest could make it challenging enough to be enjoyable.

Also, just telling from personal experience, soloing the game is way more easier than playing with a party, since the extra XP you get early on all to yourself, gives you such an edge that you stay OP all throughout the game. Also, soloing on insane difficulty is even more easier than normal (even though it sounds strange), since the bonus XP multiplier literally makes you unstoppable, and that added damage and extra enemies hardly matter after that.

And just in case you want an OP challenge to compensate for an OP character, try out @OlvynChuru's Improved Heart of Fury mod. ;)
    OlvynChuruElrandirJuliusBorisov
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited May 2020
    I don't think it's that overpowered at lower levels but after level 5-6 you'll have you'll be able to cause a lot of damage , have outstanding thac0, make great use of your stealth to backstab and set a couple of traps, use all kinds of wands and protect yourself from enemy attacks with spells such as mirror image, ghost armor and later stoneskin and such. So yes, it kind of makes you self-sufficient !
    Elrandirineth
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    FM and FMT are the strongest characters in the game and adding either the kensai or berserker kit would make them (slightly) stronger still.
    sarevok57Elrandir
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Thanks for the input. I've soloed large chunks of the game (never beaten the whole thing) with several classes, including a F/M/T, but I just had a sudden curiosity to know how good a Kensage would be.

Then I realized that with the way leveling is handled, it wouldn't really be any different to play a F/M/T, and that added thieving versatility would be extremely useful. Wanted to get some opinions on how useful/powerful it would be.
  • chevalierchevalier Member Posts: 51
    Pretty powerful, but definitely interesting. It's just the extra to-hit and damage added with FMT and the occasional Kai, which is somewhat of an overkill, considering that solo FMT itself can already easily steamroll the game. (I would suggest Fighter/Mage/Shadowdancer for even more power ;) ). I guess limited rest could make it challenging enough to be enjoyable.

Also, just telling from personal experience, soloing the game is way more easier than playing with a party, since the extra XP you get early on all to yourself, gives you such an edge that you stay OP all throughout the game. Also, soloing on insane difficulty is even more easier than normal (even though it sounds strange), since the bonus XP multiplier literally makes you unstoppable, and that added damage and extra enemies hardly matter after that.

And just in case you want an OP challenge to compensate for an OP character, try out @OlvynChuru's Improved Heart of Fury mod. ;)

Just FMT or will a single-class solo character, e.g. a paladin, also become so powerful and similarly unstoppable?
    chevalier wrote: »

Just FMT or will a single-class solo character, e.g. a paladin, also become so powerful and similarly unstoppable?

@chevalier Well, I beat the game quite comfortably as a solo Dragon Disciple on Insane difficulty, and considering the fact that arcane casters in IWD are at a significant disadvantage with how the game handles arcane magic, you get the idea. ;)
    Elrandir
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    You're also probably quite a bit better at games than I am! hahaha
    Rik_Kirtaniya
    Elrandir wrote: »
    You're also probably quite a bit better at games than I am! hahaha

Eh, not really... :sweat_smile: It was just trial and error and lots of patience. :)
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Well, I beat the game quite comfortably as a solo Dragon Disciple on Insane difficulty, and considering the fact that arcane casters in IWD are at a significant disadvantage with how the game handles arcane magic, you get the idea. ;)

Mages are at a significant disadvantage in IWD; sorcerers aren't since they bypass the limited number of scrolls.
    Rik_Kirtaniya
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    Well, I beat the game quite comfortably as a solo Dragon Disciple on Insane difficulty, and considering the fact that arcane casters in IWD are at a significant disadvantage with how the game handles arcane magic, you get the idea. ;)

Mages are at a significant disadvantage in IWD; sorcerers aren't since they bypass the limited number of scrolls.

You're right @OlvynChuru, but I was talking about Mr. B's insane flat immunity to all magic spells. :)
    Only way to kill him in vanilla as a solo mage/sorcerer is the Black Blade of Disaster/ Improved Haste/ Time Stop combo. It's quite frustrating that the final boss fight is designed like that, since there's literally no other way to do it with a mage/sorcerer. :(
    JuliusBorisovOlvynChuru
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    You're right @OlvynChuru, but I was talking about Mr. B's insane flat immunity to all magic spells. :)
    Only way to kill him in vanilla as a solo mage/sorcerer is the Black Blade of Disaster/ Improved Haste/ Time Stop combo.

I was able to beat Belhifet with a solo necromancer in the pre-enhanced edition game on Very Hard (a.k.a. Insane), where none of those spells existed. It involved buffing like crazy and stabbing Belhifet to death with a Mage Dagger +4. Even then, it was only possible because Belhifet for some reason did crushing damage with his attacks, so I could use Potions of Absorption to gain really good AC against him.
    Rik_KirtaniyaDJKajuru
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    Only way to kill him in vanilla as a solo mage/sorcerer is the Black Blade of Disaster/ Improved Haste/ Time Stop combo.

I was able to beat Belhifet with a solo necromancer in the pre-enhanced edition game on Very Hard (a.k.a. Insane), where none of those spells existed. It involved buffing like crazy and stabbing Belhifet to death with a Mage Dagger +4. Even then, it was only possible because Belhifet for some reason did crushing damage with his attacks, so I could use Potions of Absorption to gain really good AC against him.

@OlvynChuru Another thing about the pre-EE Belhifet was that he didn't have this flat immunity to all magic spells in that version. Instead, he just had a very high magic resistance. We once had a whole discussion on that.