Skip to content

HiRes models for NWN:EE, new renderer + UI overhaul

Hello everybody,

These are questions for Beamdog Employees:
So I still remember one of the "what´s currently going on in Beamdog" videos where Trent was showing off new Hi-res poly models for NWN:EE and saying they are working on them.

That video was from 2018. So my question is: are you still working on that?
What´s the current state of a new renderer? I remember you have been working on it for a while now.

Last but not least - what about the UI overhaul? You actually mentioned it in the same video, stating you definitely want to look at it - has there been any progress on that part?

I have been waiting for a news about these topics years now and would like to know where they currently stand?

Thank you.

Comments

• BlueRatBlueRat Member Posts: 3
    There´s nobody from Beamdog who could answer these?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Hi, all!

With heavy heart, I have to share that we've made a decision not to continue the work on the NWN Renderer.

For more than 1.5 years, we've been tearing down the renderer, we had a vision of what we wanted to accomplish with it. The technical and creative vision of the renderer was mostly driven by Cameron Tofer.

Unfortunately, the renderer from the ~2000 era turned out to be a too tough nut to crack. We tried everything and even in February Trent wrote it was still being worked on.

With the renderer re-write work stopping, we're not stopping our support for NWN:EE. You might have noticed a few regular updates released in recent months, and more are on the way. The iOS version of NWN:EE is drawing closer.

As you can see, the new renderer got scrapped. No news about the other things. I just hope the work on enhancing the model assets will continue without the renderer...
  • BlueRatBlueRat Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for the reply.

That is unfortunate, I was really looking forward to it, but I am glad I do know how things currently stand.

Looking forward to future updates & new content for NWN1:EE!