Skip to content

Share your story predictions about BG3

Comments

• BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Jaheira will be in the game as at least a cameo.

Why? Well, that requires a little explanation:

I play Idle Champions, an idle game that WotC has been using to promote new products. It features the characters of sponsored streamers and popular characters from D&D. Now, the game came out around the same time as that comic that had a Minsc statue come to life. Minsc and Delina were day 1 champs included.
    All of the adventures in the game are 5th ed campaigns and some of them were even previews of ones not released yet. The most recent campaign included? Descent into Avernus. Which Larian has already stated is a prequel to "BG3". As more and more champs are released, they usually are of current streamers (Avren, Spurt, etc.) or super popular or famous characters (Drizzt, Melf!). We also get characters that feature in the campaign released. Like a Lycanthrope guide that you follow through Tomb of Annihilation, eventually being unlocked and playable.

How does this relate to Jaheira? Well, she isn't really popular enough (very vocal hatedom) to be included on popularity. Especially not with characters like Viconia, Keldorn, or Imoen available. Now WotC has been ignoring BG media lately that wasn't brand new (the comic, new game, P&P campaigns). So we have Minsc, who is alive around the time of the game and able to take part, due to magic shenanigans. Remember the last campaign I said was released? Descent into Avernus. The newest champ? Jaheira. As a half elf, she could be still alive, is being released the same year as "BG3". WotC would definitely use characters from the game to promote in Idle Champs. Its something they've been doing since release.

If nothing else, that's good news because it means Larian isnt hewing too closely to the lore from the books. I've certainly never read any of them, but it is my understanding that Jaheria has a rather ignominious death early in the BG2 adaptation.

They could always pull a Minsc and have her around as some kind of magical contrivance, but it's more likely (I hope) that they're just not following the books much at all.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @BallpointMan Well, considering EVERYONE but Abdel died in the books, oh and Minsc had an afro and was an inkeeper, no I don't think they are following the books closely. AFAIK, the only book element is Abdel himself.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Jaheira will be in the game as at least a cameo.

Why? Well, that requires a little explanation:

I play Idle Champions, an idle game that WotC has been using to promote new products. It features the characters of sponsored streamers and popular characters from D&D. Now, the game came out around the same time as that comic that had a Minsc statue come to life. Minsc and Delina were day 1 champs included.
    All of the adventures in the game are 5th ed campaigns and some of them were even previews of ones not released yet. The most recent campaign included? Descent into Avernus. Which Larian has already stated is a prequel to "BG3". As more and more champs are released, they usually are of current streamers (Avren, Spurt, etc.) or super popular or famous characters (Drizzt, Melf!). We also get characters that feature in the campaign released. Like a Lycanthrope guide that you follow through Tomb of Annihilation, eventually being unlocked and playable.

How does this relate to Jaheira? Well, she isn't really popular enough (very vocal hatedom) to be included on popularity. Especially not with characters like Viconia, Keldorn, or Imoen available. Now WotC has been ignoring BG media lately that wasn't brand new (the comic, new game, P&P campaigns). So we have Minsc, who is alive around the time of the game and able to take part, due to magic shenanigans. Remember the last campaign I said was released? Descent into Avernus. The newest champ? Jaheira. As a half elf, she could be still alive, is being released the same year as "BG3". WotC would definitely use characters from the game to promote in Idle Champs. Its something they've been doing since release.

So the one original voice actor that Beamdog couldn't find is one of the returning characters for BG3. :/
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    the elves and minsc are kinda a given.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    deltago wrote: »
    So the one original voice actor that Beamdog couldn't find is one of the returning characters for BG3. :/

Not to be morbid, but I thought the reason Heidi Shannon couldn't return for SoD was because she was, well, deceased? Or am I misremembering?
    @deltago Larian will probably just cast a new person in the role.

@Zaxares Unknown. Beamdog simply couldn't FIND her to make an offer.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Drizzt will show up as a deus ex machina to kill all of the octopus faces.
    I actually haven't followed the adventures of Drizzt for quite a long time now. What is he up to these days? I think the last Salvatore book I read about him had him and Catti-Brie finally winding up together, although given that BG3 is set in the future, Catti-Brie, Wulfgar and possibly Regis would all be dead by now. Only Drizzt and Bruenor (and I think that's pushing it a little since I believe he was already middle-aged for a dwarf during the first books) would remain from the original party.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Any chance that psionics might be part of BG3? With mind-flayers involved that would be an interesting addition to the game.
    @Zaxares I haven't read past the first book of "Transitions" but I've heard a couple things.

Drizzt and Catti is(was) indeed a thing. The spellplague of 4th ed killed her iirc. But she apparently has this reincarnation thing going on? I'm not clear on it. Bruenor went down in a blaze of glory (Soloed a pit fiend) and stayed dead as far as I know.And that's about as much as I've gleaned. I don't read much anymore.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Any chance that psionics might be part of BG3? With mind-flayers involved that would be an interesting addition to the game.

I doubt it'll be a major component. I say that because psionics are not currently in 5e at all at this point, and I'm not sure that Larian has the okay from WotC to invent a system like that for the game.

There could be little bits and pieces of a psionic system, but I doubt there will be any psiunic base class.

(Although - it would be pretty near if WotC released a new setting or something that added a psionic class to coincide with the release of BG3. I sincerely doubt it'll happen, but I wouldnt mind that one bit).
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    megamike15 wrote: »
    the elves and minsc are kinda a given.

Specifically Coran.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    @Zaxares I haven't read past the first book of "Transitions" but I've heard a couple things.

Drizzt and Catti is(was) indeed a thing. The spellplague of 4th ed killed her iirc. But she apparently has this reincarnation thing going on? I'm not clear on it. Bruenor went down in a blaze of glory (Soloed a pit fiend) and stayed dead as far as I know.And that's about as much as I've gleaned. I don't read much anymore.
    They all (except Drizzt) died at various times and came back. Wulfgar, Bruenor, Catti-Brie, and Regis. They reincarnated and hooked back up with Drizzt.
    They all (except Drizzt) died at various times and came back. Wulfgar, Bruenor, Catti-Brie, and Regis. They reincarnated and hooked back up with Drizzt.
    Yikes. XD I wonder how much of that was due to Salvatore's own creative designs and how much of it was due to WotC wanting to keep one of its most recognizable groups intact for future marketing and game tie-ins. While I do understand the desire of fans and execs alike to keep their favourites/moneymakers around, let's not turn this into a comic universe where people like Batman mysteriously stay the same age despite having been around for nearly a century by now. :P
    Zaxares wrote: »
    Yikes. XD I wonder how much of that was due to Salvatore's own creative designs and how much of it was due to WotC wanting to keep one of its most recognizable groups intact for future marketing and game tie-ins. While I do understand the desire of fans and execs alike to keep their favourites/moneymakers around, let's not turn this into a comic universe where people like Batman mysteriously stay the same age despite having been around for nearly a century by now. :P
    I've heard that is was planned by Salvatore, since he (and another author I think) heard about the Spellplague in advance, and reincarnation was Salvatore's way around losing his most popular characters.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Same as Ed Wood for Elminster, and some other Forgotten Realms writers.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    If you want a bit more detail:
    RAS knew in advance what WotC had in store for the setting, so he set up his story to make it possible for his characters to return in the future. All except Drizzt died in various ways due to the Spellplague. Cattie-brie and Regis died almost immediately. Wulfgar and Bruenor died somewhat later. But to save them, per Drizzt's plea, his goddess created a special planer pocket within which their souls would live peaceful and happy lives for a hundred years until they could be returned after the time-jump. But when they eventually returned, it was in new bodies. So initially they had different looks and even different personalities, and also different family and background stories. As they grew up, their previous looks and personalities slowly emerged until eventually they returned to being the characters they had been before. Drizzt reunited with them, but the intervening century which he had spent with his drow acquaintances had changed him in many ways and he is not that close with the old gang anymore. In particular he's no longer a thing with Cattie-brie.

Greenwood did something similar with his characters, in particular El (who absorbed Mystra's leftover essence and is now essentially a god) and a couple of the Seven Sisters. The other Chosen of Mystra are dead as are most other powerful wizards. But Manshoon is also back and more badass than ever.

Not to be morbid, but I thought the reason Heidi Shannon couldn't return for SoD was because she was, well, deceased? Or am I misremembering?

Really? I can’t find any information on it.

Really? I can’t find any information on it.

I don't remember where I heard it from. It might have been third-hand chatter on Reddit or a BG Discord server somewhere. But yeah, I've also heard no other information to corroborate that claim, but it's the only explanation I've heard mentioned so far for why Heidi simply seems to have vanished and been uncontactable.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/17/baldurs-gate-3/

"Some of those actors are out of the industry now." That is everything Beamdog ever said about Heidi Shannon. She was unavailable to reach out to.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49947/jaheira-where-has-your-beautiful-voice-gone
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Ok, here is a story prediction based on the gameplay reveal.

i0aotozi86xp.png

This is Asmodeus (the Archdevil).

Monster Manual (1977)

Asmodeus_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29.JPG

Descent into Avernus (the prequel to BGIII)

jbxacy3kr67r.jpg

Note the scepter which looks very similar to the Ruby Rod.

Context:

Why would the Archdevil seek the help of a mere character (your character).

The forced re-organization of the Planes back into the old Great Wheel in 5E means that the Blood War restarted without Asmodeus wanting it to. He's nowhere near as strong as he was when Mystra was dead and Azuth was in his belly, and he now has to defend against attacks from every direction. The souls collected go on to serve to beat back the demonic legions of the Abyss in the Blood War. Asmodeus is following the laws of the Nine Hells in collecting souls. Every soul can help.

Contracts:

(from Descent into Avernus). In all agreements, Asmodeus wants one thing only: a character signing one of these contracts gives up their soul forever. In exchange for a soul contract, the following gift can be given:
    Resurrection. Asmodeus sends one of his loyal priest followers to cast true resurrection on a deceased
    character.

Resurrection can work for those infected by an Ithilid Tadpole.

Of course, there might be another, additional and hidden, reason Asmodeus is interested in the main character due to the main plot element we know about (illithids).
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    edited June 2020

i0aotozi86xp.png

Monster Manual (1977)

jbxacy3kr67r.jpg

Context:

The forced re-organization of the Planes back into the old Great Wheel in 5E means that the Blood War restarted without Asmodeus wanting it to. He's nowhere near as strong as he was when Mystra was dead and Azuth was in his belly, and he now has to defend against attacks from every direction. The souls collected go on to serve to beat back the demonic legions of the Abyss in the Blood War. Asmodeus is following the laws of the Nine Hells in collecting souls. Every soul can help.

Contracts:

(from Descent into Avernus). In all agreements, Asmodeus wants one thing only: a character signing one of these contracts gives up their soul forever. In exchange for a soul contract, the following gift can be given:
    Resurrection. Asmodeus sends one of his loyal priest followers to cast true resurrection on a deceased
    character.

Of course, there might be another, additional and hidden, reason Asmodeus is interested in the main character due to the main plot element we know about (illithids).

Well, I'll be damned. You may actually be right here.
    I don't expect a lesser evil to be able to extract a tadpole from someone, but Asmodeus would definitely can. But.... Asmodeus in a low-level campaign? Come on...

i0aotozi86xp.png

Monster Manual (1977)

jbxacy3kr67r.jpg

Context:

Contracts:

character.

If that’s the main plot, I’ll be extremely disappointed.

i0aotozi86xp.png

Monster Manual (1977)

jbxacy3kr67r.jpg

Context:

Contracts:

character.

I mean, if this game isn't disappointing to you, then you never really cared about a BG3 in the first place.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    Cahir wrote: »
    This is so not true on so many levels. I'm not disappointed (I was, but not anymore) and I do care deeply for BG3. Stop telling us how we should feel, all right? This is getting tiresome.

Yep. I have to ask: What do folks think they're accomplishing here?

i0aotozi86xp.png

Monster Manual (1977)

jbxacy3kr67r.jpg

Context:

Contracts:

character.

I mean, if this game isn't disappointing to you, then you never really cared about a BG3 in the first place.

Hey, Thaco, here is a thought for you: were you expecting BG3 at all? I mean, before it became apparent it was in development: did you have ANY expectation BG3 would happen?

My reply to the same question is: NO. The story of BG2 was finished, and I never expected "a sequel", "a direct sequel" or whatever.

What I did expect, though, is BG3 as is the game that would become the same revelation for RPGs as BG 1&2 were back in the day. The game that would in spirit continue the feeling of DnD in BG 1&2, but anew.

And I care for the latter.
    edited June 2020
    @Cahir "Stop telling us how we should feel, all right? This is getting tiresome."

Pot and kettle much.

@JuliusBorisov When a game was announced that was literally called "BG3", YES, I did in fact *edit* expect *edit* something approximating BG3. But nope, it was just fraudulent marketing. I'm honestly surprised that so many people apparently don't care about being blatantly lied to.

Larian is going to be rewarded for un-ethical business practices and it makes me sick.
    Post edited by ThacoBell on
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    ?