Skip to content

Is it possible to change scroll and spell descriptions?

LordPasLordPas Member Posts: 47
Hello,

I don't know if this should be listed under scripting or not so I posted it here.
The PW server I play on has adjusted many of it's spells.
Is it possible to change the spell name, description and details on a scroll and spell choice or is it hard coded into the NwN engine?
Post edited by LordPas on

Comments

• WilliamDracoWilliamDraco Member Posts: 175
    Spells have names and descriptions specified by spells.2da. a PW can include a custom spells.2da in their hak/nwsync which references either different names or descriptions, or references a custom tlk file to provide their own names and descriptions.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    It's probably best to ask it in the custom content section since it's not really scripting, and it wont get drowned out by general posts. You'll need a tlk editor and probably a tutorial on how to use a custom tlk with a module. There is an offset of 16777216 you need to use for your references i.e. the reference is that + the line number in your custom tlk.

So to break it down:
    1. Get tlk editor and make a custom tlk with your new text.
    2. Open your module in the toolset and in the properties under custom content associate it with your custom tlk file.
    3. Edit the 2da references, for spells it would be spells.2da and the reference columns are probable called Name and Description.
    4. Pack it up in a hak (use nwhak under util where NWN installed) and associate that with your module in the toolset's custom content tab under properties.

• LordPasLordPas Member Posts: 47
    The server doesn't use custom content. I was hoping it could be done without custom content.
    That's why I didn't post under there. So I am clear Custom content means 3rd party additions that need to be downloaded by all players if a PW is using them right? So unless you have this added content you can't play on the PW server?
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    Essentially, you need content on your computer to be able to see it at some point. It depends on what you mean exactly though, just that the scroll items have a changed description? You can change the scroll descriptions like any other item in the module without needing a download, since they are objects in the module.

Things like changing the non-scripted mechanics and presentation in character creation requires custom content downloaded. If you add spells, classes, and other extensions to the content they need to download the custom haks to play.
  • LordPasLordPas Member Posts: 47
    edited June 2020
    When you examine an item item like a scroll it tells you the the spells Duration, effect, saves etc. Can that be changed with out a hakpak or custom content?
    Can spell descriptions examined (upon choosing a new spell or when you examine your spell list) be changed? That's what I was referring too.
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    edited June 2020
    LordPas wrote: »
    When you examine an item item like a scroll it tells you the the spells Duration, effect, saves etc. Can that be changed with out a hakpak or custom content?
    Can spell descriptions examined (upon choosing a new spell or when you examine your spell list) be changed? That's what I was referring too.

You can change the description of a scroll because there a script function for descriptions, but it does not change how the spell function when cast from the scroll. There are parts of the functioning of spells that can and cannot be change without hakpak/custom content.
    Somethings you can change in a spell script is are what it does like how much damage it does, what the dc saves are / duration (just for that module).
    Somethings you cannot change without changing spell.2da/hak are what class can cast it/what level the spell is casted at / the type of target. The second question is you need a custom .tlk file or need to modify defualt tlk file. Hope that get you in the right direction , there a lot more detail I leaving out.