Skip to content

Are Drizzt's scimetars +3 considered lower than +3 vs enemies?

NeoNeo Member Posts: 127
I know this is the BG2 forums but it's more active than the BG1 and I'm more curious about this for when I'll reach BG2. Basically, I killed Drizzt early on and took his Scimetars for my Fighter/Mage. Those weapons surely are some of the strongest ones in BG1 (+3 scimetars on top of one giving +1 armor and the other +50% fire resistance).

I'm finishing the Werewolf island in BG1 where I had to kill a Greater Wolfwere and a Loup-Garou which both require stronger magic weapons in order to damage them. I believe that I read that the Greater Wolfwere required +3 weapons to hit (I did have everything on my party for that). I noticed that my F/M's weapons were ineffective and they're +3. Now against the Loup-Garou, it's ineffective once more. I don't know if I need +4 magic weapons to damage it but I would find it very odd considering maybe only the werewolf dagger and Balduran's sword are +4 (vs lycanthropes), even Kondar +1 (bastard sword +3 vs shapeshifters) isn't that strong.

So basically, I'm wondering, are the Scimetars +3 bugged or is there something I'm missing? Do they only count as +2 weapons even though it's written +3?

I'm mostly asking because I planned on keeping those for SOD and a fair part of BG2 until I get better weapons later on (cheat them back in possibly since I consider I deserve them after having killed Drizzt at lvl 5 with SCS mod on) and I'm wondering if it'll be unable to damage monsters that require magic weapons +3 to hit.

Hm.. perhaps they required +4 to be damaged after all considering the next 2 Loup-Garous were immune to Melf's Minute Meteors (which are +3 with SCS).
Post edited by Neo on

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    And Twinkle gives a bonus of 2 to AC, not just 1.
  • NeoNeo Member Posts: 127
    Thanks, it all makes sense now : P
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    jmerry wrote: »
    Oh, and Twinkle actually counts as a +5 weapon. Not that it matters anywhere in BGEE.

Twinkle does not count as a +5 weapon; it's +3. I looked in the game's files just now and its enchantment for determining what it can hit is +3.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    I was looking in the files too. ... Oh, a mod changed that? Why on earth would a mod bother changing that? Timestamp on the altered file says it must have been SCS. You're right that Twinkle is +3 in the base game.
  • iosfrustrationiosfrustration Member Posts: 153
    edited June 2020
    Why on earth would a mod bother changing that?

SCS has a racial enemy that is best described as “everything that is not a mage” they were probably trying to make Twinkle -255 (THAT will teach them to use a sword) and it accidentally wrapped around.

Jokes aside, this is a weirdly specific thing to bother tweaking. Millions of other swords in the game, I wonder why they messed with this one. Maybe it’s used by some boss somewhere or something?

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    No, it's not a boss weapon anywhere. And it's not used as a weapon by BG2EE Drizzt, so the enchantment level only matters if a player is using it.

The only thing I can think of ... what does the old PnP stuff say about "defender" weapons? Maybe this was a change to emulate that?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    Oh, and Twinkle actually counts as a +5 weapon. Not that it matters anywhere in BGEE.

Twinkle does not count as a +5 weapon; it's +3. I looked in the game's files just now and its enchantment for determining what it can hit is +3.

thats funny because in the vanilla bg2 it did hit as a +5 weapon ( i was able to use it against kangaxx the demi lich ) my guess as to why it was changed to +3 is because now the sword is called defender +3 instead of defender +5 like it was called in the vanillas