Skip to content

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning

KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
kovno6a34jqf.png

Looks like a HD remake of Amalur will indeed be a thing now. And it will cost 40 bucks on either console or PC.
There's also an msn article which showcases a physical collectors edition for those interested.
ThacoBellRik_KirtaniyaÆmrys

Comments

• ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Ehh... I wasn't very taken by the game when I tried out the demo all those years back, so I don't have very much interest this time around. I imagine KoA fans will be thrilled about this though. :)
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    I enjoyed it myself. From what I can gather, this new version is due out in August.

TR
    Kamigoroshi
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited June 2020
    To be more precise Xbox Live lists the release date as 11th of August. Amazon on the other hand states that the game ships on the 18th of August. Either way, the release is really close upon us. :)

I just hope that this remaster will also be available on steam rather than only the microsoft store. As THQ has the tendency of gifting owners of the original with the updated title as well. That was for instance also the case with Darksiders 2 Deathinitive Edition.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I was a big fan of this when it first came out. Hopeful that the remaster is a good one.
    Kamigoroshi
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    The game works and looks fine as it is. It's the closest thing to a single-player MMO on the market to this day, because it originally was going to be one. There are some possible game-breaking bugs that can be encountered if you aren't careful. Hopefully those are cleaned up
    I am curious what they mean with refined gameplay. Its combat was one of the best out there. Other than possibly the inclusion of spears and similar new weapon styles there would be no need to touch it. On the other hand: one thing I always missed in the original was playable gnomes. Would be great if the remaster could unlock them. Especially since that race is already feature complete anyway.
    Rik_KirtaniyaThacoBell
  • ÆmrysÆmrys Member Posts: 125
    What wasn't to love about this game with Todd McFarlane and R.A. Salvatore involved. Too bad Kurt Schilling couldn't keep affairs in order.
    ThacoBellKamigoroshi
    Yeah, the combat was the best I'd seen in any ARPG. "Refining" better just mean more options. Don't fix what's already the best out there.
    KamigoroshiÆmrys

I think this is the first time I saw a collector's edition trailer before the actual game trailer. :p

Still no further news on this one afaik. Looks like the devs are planning to upload a FAQ on the Amalur discord at some point. But until then we just have no further details on what exactly this remaster will exactly entail.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    I'm actually interested in this remastered. I never actually played the original game. It was not very popular in my country, but I heard some good stuff about it. What are your experience with this game, guys?
    @Cahir Its a pretty big game. I got halfway through it when my PS3 died, and I didn't really have the drive to restart my over a hundred hours playthrough.

This is what stood out to me the most though:
    Beautiful environments, even caves have have bright and varied colors (Bioluminesence for the win!). The world really LOOKS like a magical place.
    Good classes. At first, it looks like you only have 3 classes to choose from. But you can multiclass! You can combine classes and skills pretty much however you want. And every combination has a unique class name!
    The combat is some of the most fun I've had in an action RPG. Its not complicated, but its fun and reflexes definitely matter.
    The story came across as pretty average to me. I did only get through half of the game map though, maybe it really takes off in the second half.
    The character models feel a little plasticy and WOW-ish. I didn't care for them so much, but I suspect its a taste thing.
    Skatan
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    @Cahir Its a pretty big game. I got halfway through it when my PS3 died, and I didn't really have the drive to restart my over a hundred hours playthrough.

This is what stood out to me the most though:
    Beautiful environments, even caves have have bright and varied colors (Bioluminesence for the win!). The world really LOOKS like a magical place.
    Good classes. At first, it looks like you only have 3 classes to choose from. But you can multiclass! You can combine classes and skills pretty much however you want. And every combination has a unique class name!
    The combat is some of the most fun I've had in an action RPG. Its not complicated, but its fun and reflexes definitely matter.
    The story came across as pretty average to me. I did only get through half of the game map though, maybe it really takes off in the second half.
    The character models feel a little plasticy and WOW-ish. I didn't care for them so much, but I suspect its a taste thing.

Interesting, let's just say I'll have this remaster on my radar. Though a mediocre story makes me feel a bit hesitant.
    @Cahir Keep in mind that I only got about half way through. There were a couple good hooks early one, but nothing was really done with them as far as I had gotten. It could be an amazing payoff for all I know.
    edited June 2020
    The main story isn't bad at all. Nothing that will knock you from your feet either. But it's okay as far as any of the “Chosen Ones“ plots go.

The sidequests on the other hand? Go there, kill this and collect that. Yup, that's the nutshell of running them for like 200+ hours. True to its moniker of “singleplayer MMO“.
    ThacoBell
    Yeah, I mostly just did quests as I explored. And since I explored everywhere the game physics let me reach...

Amalur is praised pretty much entirely for its character building, combat, and gorgeous evironments.
    Lots of new information on this one. First thing first: the official release date has been pushed back to September 8th. The steam store page of Re-Reckoning is now also up! But we also do know that THQ Nordic will release a brand new Expansion under the name of Fatesworn sometime next year.

Also interesting of note is that the upcoming Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning Fate Edition will be available on September 8th 2020 for an SRP of € 54.99 / $ 54.99 / £ 47.99 / ₽ 2669.00. This Fate Edition contains the full game Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning as well as the upcoming expansion Fatesworn, releasing in 2021.
    For those who haven't seen it yet: Their Q&A is up.
    Zyddie wrote:
    These are the questions we can currently answer, more will be added as more information becomes public from us.

What platforms will it be available on?
    PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.

Will it be exclusive on any PC platform?
    We don’t have any plans for an exclusive deal.

What is the release date?
    September 8th, 2020

Where can we pre-order?
    We already sold out the collectors edition in the US both retailers and amazon reports fully sold out, however, you can still buy via Amazon UK if you live in the US.

In EU retailers and Amazon still reports that they have some copies left.

Will there be merch?
    As of now, the only merch available will be in the Collector’s Edition.

Will the expansion be part of the Collector’s Edition?
    No, the new expansion will not be included in the Collector’s Edition due to its release date. We do however offer the digital Fate Edition which includes the base game as well as the upcoming expansion Fatesworn.

What will be the price tag?
    The Standard Edition will be available for an SRP of € 39.99 / $ 39.99 / £ 34.99 / ₽ 1929.00, The Fate Edition for an SRP of € 54.99 / $ 54.99 / £ 47.99 / ₽ 2669.00
    The Collector’s Edition for an SRP of $109.99 / €109.99 / £99.99.

Tech stuff -
    Will there be Linux/MAC support?
    We support PC Windows versions.

Will there be ultrawide support or an FoV slider?
    Both, yes.

Will modding be supported?
    There won't be any official modding tools but we are looking to make data easier accessible. The game was done in a way that making modding possible is not very straightforward.

Who’s the studio behind the game? Will developers of the original game be involved in the remaster?
    The studio behind Re-Reckoning is KAIKO, a long-term partner of THQ Nordic - they already brought you Legend of Kay Anniversary, Darksiders Warmastered Edition, and Red Faction Guerilla Re-MARS-tered. The original devs aren’t officially involved but always happy to support us with a friendly hint or two when we need it.

Will Xbox One X and PS4 Pro have improved graphics/FPS?
    Yes, they will have improved render outputs and a higher framerate.

Will there be a photo mode?
    Unfortunately not.

Will old save games work?
    There might be a use at your own risk converter tool but we cannot promise anything yet.

Will the graphics simply be upscaled or otherwise improved?
    We have retouched all textures and improved the rendering engine.

Gameplay -
    Will it contain all DLCs from the original game?
    Yes, it includes Teeth of Naros, Legend of Dead Kel, and the Weapons & Armor Bundle.

Will you rebalance the game or "only" focus on delivering a remaster as close to the original game as possible?
    We are still working on this but we are aware of some imbalances and want to fix those.

Will it have achievements?
    Yes.

What exactly does "refined gameplay" mean?
    Mostly balancing tweaks to make the game ‘feel’ better.

Extra questions -
    Will there be any gameplay shown soon? If yes.... when?
    Yes, but no ETA yet.

Can we get wallpapers?
    Yes, but no ETA yet.
    ThacoBell
    Has anyone found any info if they have reworked the camera?
    Nope. There isn't even any gameplay footage of the remaster out, or even a trailer. Which admittingly is rather strange, given that the release is just a mere 13 days from now on.

I personally haven't spotted a different camera angle in the provided steam page screenshots. So I am conjuring a “no“ as a guess here.
    Æmrys
    Shame. That camera angle was horrible.
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    I don't think unchanged camera angle is confirmed anyway

Looks like we may see something tomorrow. A gameplay trailer perhaps? Would be about time. :p
    Æmrys

Less than a minute long. But we finally got a look at the gameplay. Also noteworthy is that the steam page now lists the required HDD space as 40GB. That's 30GB more than the original.
    Æmrys
    This video has some info on the game including a new expansion. Read over on steam that they are widening the FOV and adjusting the camera.
    What is the new graphics options?
    86kqel1fs7ug.png

Notice about the graphic options - that the FOV range you can choose from on the console is smaller than what you can choose from on PC. The reason is there is only a 16:9 aspect ratio for the console.

The FAQ had been updated with new information. Lots of camera fiddling possible. :)
    Æmrys
    Can't wait sooooooo hyped!
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    First Wasteland 3, now this, BG3 later. It´s a great month to be alive.
    Æmrys

Now we have a trailer for Finesse, Might and Sorcery. Wonder what they'll show in the remaining 5 days?
    Æmrys
    Alternate subtitles for Kingdoms of Amalur:
    I reckon
    Reckon once more
    the reckoning
    reckon once, shame on you
    get reckt
    Æmrys
    Zyddie wrote:
    Okay so lets talk about what happens for already owners.
    We have chosen to do a 50% discount on steam digital copies for both versions of the game for people that already own the game on that platform.

This means
    Standard edition will be 50% for people that owns

But also the FATE EDITION that INCLUDES the new expansion set to release in 2021 will also be 50% off for people that already own the old game.

Ow and btw guys it stack with the 10% launch discount, so 60% on BOTH The remaster and the remaster + new expansion!

This will run for 2 months after release! so until November!

//Zyddie
    Source
    FINALLY! An answer to the age old question. And what a nice surprise this is. 60% off for both the standard edition and the fate one? Glorious, just glorious. :D
    ThacoBell