Skip to content

[MOD] Battle music for IWD

smyth25smyth25 Member Posts: 219
edited November 2019 in IWD:EE Mods
Hey folks! Just wanted to share with you a simple mod I made that adds battle music scores from BG1 and BG2 to various areas in IWD. As this is my modding debut (and my first interaction with Weidu), I won't be surprised if there are any bugs or errors, so please inform me of any that you find!

But first some context,

While I enjoy the Icewind dale soundtrack as much as the next player, I was kinda disappointed in it's lack of battle scores, especially considering it's such a combat intensive game. I find that the music really adds so much life and flair to the battle, so Icewind dale's lack of battle music removes a lot of the atmosphere that it's supposed to be known for.

Now, after learning the basics of Weidu (and fixing the issue in which BG1 battle scores speed up the IWD area themes), I've got a (hopefully) functioning mod that sprinkles 24 different battle scores throughout the various areas of IWD. I hope you enjoy!

Download it here (Sorry about using dropbox, wasn't sure of any other websites where I can upload files >25MB)
Post edited by smyth25 on

Comments

• SinaheribSinaherib Member Posts: 38
    edited November 2019
    When I try to install the mod, I get a message that it is not compatible with my version of Windows (I'm using Win 7 64).

I like the idea of the mod though!
  • smyth25smyth25 Member Posts: 219
    Sinaherib wrote: »
    When I try to install the mod, I get a message that it is not compatible with my version of Windows (I'm using Win 7 64).

I like the idea of the mod though!

Hi, thanks for your interest! I had a look and a potential reason may have been because I wasn't using the latest version of Weidu, I've updated the link so it should lead to a version with a more up to date Weidu installer. Hope that works!

If it doesn't work it could also be to do with that I made this on a mac, but I'll look further to see if that's actually an issue.
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 1,000
    edited November 2019
    @smyth25: Looks like you're bundling the Mac version of WeiDU with the mod. WeiDU downloads for all platforms can be found here. For Windows users, you should also be bundling "WeiDU-Windows-246.zip/WeiDU-Windows/bin/x86/weidu.exe", renaming weidu.exe to "setup-Musicforiwd.exe". :)

Also, got a bug report for you; I've attached the debug log here. Looks like bp1 and bp2 aren't being distributed / set up, but you are trying to install them near the end of setup-Musicforiwd.tp2.

Edit: For some reason the attachment didn't attach. It's there now!
    Bubb wrote: »
    @smyth25: Looks like you're bundling the Mac version of WeiDU with the mod. WeiDU downloads for all platforms can be found here. For Windows users, you should also be bundling "WeiDU-Windows-246.zip/WeiDU-Windows/bin/x86/weidu.exe", renaming weidu.exe to "setup-Musicforiwd.exe". :)

Also, got a bug report for you; I've attached the debug log here. Looks like bp1 and bp2 aren't being distributed / set up, but you are trying to install them near the end of setup-Musicforiwd.tp2.

Edit: For some reason the attachment didn't attach. It's there now!

@Bubb Thanks for the link to the weidu versions! I've put a version for mac and windows in the link now.

In regards to the bug I'm not really sure what is causing it, but I've rearranged the .tp2 file a bit to make it a bit more organised. Perhaps the constant switching between appending SONGLIST.2da and appending .ARE files makes it unstable (or I'm more likely speaking nonsense).
  • NikorusonNikoruson Member Posts: 9
    Hey I tried installing it, but I get this error:

[
    ERROR: error loading [music\bp1.mus]
    Stopping installation because of error.
    Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Battle music for IWD], rolling back to previous state
    Will uninstall 383 files for [MUSICFORIWD/SETUP-MUSICFORIWD.TP2] component 0.
    Uninstalled 383 files for [MUSICFORIWD/SETUP-MUSICFORIWD.TP2] component 0.
    ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "music\\bp1.mus")
    Please make a backup of the file: SETUP-MUSICFORIWD.DEBUG and look for support at: connor_wessel@me.com

Install Component [Battle music for IWD]?
    nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit?

Did I do something wrong?
    edited June 2020
    That's odd, not exactly sure what's causing that (especially since it looks like it's worked for everyone of the songs until that particular one). What operating system are you using, and do you have any other IWD mods?

Also, if you go to the folder where your override folder is for IWD, can you look in the music folder and see if there is a folder called 'bp1' and a file called 'bp1.mus'? The mod assumes that those files already exist in IWD but perhaps they don't actually in your case.

Edit: Just remembered that bp1 and bp2 specifically were seemingly troublemakers, so there's probably something on my end that I will need to change as well.

Double edit: I've attached a slightly updated version of the mod in the link in the original post - could you see if that one works?
    Post edited by smyth25 on
  • NikorusonNikoruson Member Posts: 9
    It works!

Thank you!
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Lovely mod, thanks!
  • KedricKedric Member Posts: 6
    I'm curious to try this, but I'd like to know something first. Are these original compositions that you made yourself or had commissioned? Or are these songs from other games?
    The music used comes from Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 (the music specifically from BG2 happened to already exist in the game files for one reason or another). I would have enjoyed composing some new tracks had I enough time.

Glad you're interested though! I think just a brief note is I have not updated the mod since the 2.6 patch. Personally, I still found it to work even after updating, but it's something to note just in case it fails.
  • KedricKedric Member Posts: 6
    Ah, alright. Thanks for answering!