Skip to content

(Non top tier) favorite weapons

124»

Comments

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    @iosfrustration about the sword not only in the original game its extra apr was not documented in the item description, so i suppose that most of us learned about it only from the internet, but had 1 point less of enchantment compared to belm, in EE it has the same enchantment.

@DinoDin i agree that in a no reload play trough the first fight in the sphere is quite risky.
    and also is probably an almost sure loss for who go there for the first time, completely not spoiled, with a low level party.
    but there are so many ways, depending on the party composition, to deal with that battle, you can even start with the party hasted and run as fast as you can into the first fleshy pod, an hasted party should not have problems to kill the monsters there, then you can use it for a peekaboo tactic popping out of it to damage the enemies that have followed you there, probably not all the enemy party will, or to pop out for just the time needed to have the enemy casters start to cast, then entering it again to have their spells fizzle.
    this makes that particular battle much more manageable as you and not the enemy have control on the battle ground, decide when, where and how the engagement will happen. it is not needed, i won without using the pods many times, but the fleshy pods are a very important terrain feature that can and should be used also for the other battles of the quest.
    i would say that the tactical control over the battle and use of the battle ground features makes easier probably 80% or more of the bg2 battles, and the PP is one of the areas where you have more opportunities to have this control.
    iosfrustration
  • AewyrvenAewyrven Member Posts: 228
    y72q8qvrwwuv.png

Sling of avoreen.

Aoe stun, +4 to thac0 and damage.

Fighter 13 dual cleric and you have some serious ow, and with sunstone bullets you have a mage interrupter not to mention its stun ability.

Its nasty.
    ThacoBellgorgonzola
  • LammasLammas Member Posts: 211
    edited May 2020
    It’s not quite end game gear

Why not, though? You could use Belm off-hand in end game to boost the APR of your main hand weapon and Kundane does exactly the same thing. It's not like it's bad in the least, just overshadowed by Belm (and Scarlet Ninja-To) but if you've got enough dualwielders in your party, you could throw it in there.

EDIT:
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    had 1 point less of enchantment compared to belm

Did it? I could swear that it's always been a +2 weapon.
    Post edited by Lammas on
    MartinWStummvonBordwehrilduderino
    maybe i am wrong about it, but now i can not check as the computer i use for the original game is not working at the moment.
    anyway compared to belm it has only a slightly lower damage 1d6 vs 1d8 and a different damage type, piercing instead of slashing, but the real purpose of a +1 apr OH is to get one more attack with the powerful MH weapon (unless you use it MH with a shield in the early game, thing that sometimes is useful for jaheira that with the fortress shield and a good armor is a good tank) so imho there is not a real tier difference between belm and kundane, while SNT is at an other level, +3 so can hit much more enemies and 2 rounds of poison damage, and very little enemies are resistant to poison.
    MartinW
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Impaler is underrated.

infact spears are kind of really cool. A shame piercing damage is garbage.
    gorgonzolailduderino
    edited May 2020
    very high damage, long reach so can be used from behind a tank, it is a really good weapon.
    it is one of the best weapons for a skald if the player uses him in a sing and attack mode, the single apr and huge alpha damage and the fact that it can be used at close range, but behind a tank or meat shield makes it possible and effective even in EE as long as the attack is ordered right after the second song activation appears in the battle log to have then the skald resume singing.
    this way the damage contribution from a skald is huge as not only he has a good alpha, but all the damage of the front line is boosted by his song, while they get also some useful ac boost.
    with a speed factor of 3 and having some item that reduces it is even possible to have the skald hasted, even if it becomes tricky to time correctly attacks and singing.
    EDIT: uai is needed, but if some other toon uses the staff of the ram or the party still don't have it impaler is the best weapon for that tactic.
  • DonaldDonald Member Posts: 11
    I've always been quite fond of the Short Sword +1 because it looks so much like the Master Sword.
    ThacoBellSkatanZaxares
  • ValkhyrValkhyr Member Posts: 12
    > I also like Usuno's blade +4.

This. One of my favorite weapons. Not necessarily one of the best, but quite decent, available very early, and has that magical blue glow to it ? I also manually mod it to look use the Katana animation - I generally think they should have used that for all Wakizashi and Ninjato (short of making a custom, shorter model of course).

Just started a new playthrough with a twin scimitar/ninjato based half-elven F/M/T, and went to Watchers Keep within the first 2days of play to acquire this (right after Belm).
    Skatan
  • ReticentReticent Member Posts: 122
    edited June 2020
    Staff of Thunder and Lighting is underrated. Lets a druid cast Lightning Bolt and Call Lighting while shapeshifted, and has a junior version of CF's stun on hit if you've got the luxury of auto attacking with it. And bonus points because its version of Call Lighting works indoors.
    Post edited by Reticent on
    Skataniosfrustration
  • LammasLammas Member Posts: 211
    Reticent wrote: »
    And bonus points because its version of Call Lighting works indoors.

Cool, I never knew this.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    edited June 2020
    I like belm amd kundane together, and if needed use the enchant weapon spell to become +3 enchantment. Of course always have backup weapon for my fighters like a golf bag ?

Also i like weapons that add something useful:
    Ilbratha for mirror image
    Spectral brand for the spectral blade
    Ras for own attack
    Namarra for silence
    Dragonslayer, Adjatha, Daystar, Equalizer and Mace of Disruption for various immunities.
    So always have something to use if needed.
    ThacoBell