Skip to content

99 but 18/5, also about The Black Pit?

After about 15 minutes I rolled a 99 for a Ranger but it is only a 18/05. Should I reroll or is that okay? I don't want to powergame or solo. Just play the game and have fun while being able to survive both games. Also would doing The Black Pit first make me too overpowered? Read it is seperate from everything and before the main game. So wanted to do that first and get the story before I started the main game.

Comments

• Maverick81685Maverick81685 Member Posts: 9
    Yep, first time, also thanks for the advice @RedRodent. Do appreciate it.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    There's items that raise STR while wearing them, potions/spells when needing a buff and even one item that will help you permanently reach 19 STR eventually (though late). You'll be fine. Any straight warrior class get enough THAC0 to hit reliably. 99 is a beast of a roll, more than you need really but it's always fun to get one of those :)
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    edited June 2020
    Yeah that roll’s great, definitively go with it ? Without spoiling anything, partway through the game, various items can make the % irrelevant
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Gonna echo what others have said. That strength roll is quite good, don't stress over it. I've taken multiple melee fighters through that had 14 strength, and even that was very doable.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Gonna echo what others have said. That strength roll is quite good, don't stress over it. I've taken multiple melee fighters through that had 14 strength, and even that was very doable.

14? What were they using as weapons, harsh language? ;)
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    14 strength is enough to equip any of the base weapon types, aside from composite bows. You don't get any bonuses for it, but then again practically all of the strength-boosting effects in the game set strength to some higher value. There's no problem using those when you need to hit harder.

No full plate or large shields, though. Those require 15 strength to equip, and they're heavy to boot.
    Thanks Everyone for the insights, it has been most helpful and I really do appreciate it.
  • dukdukgoosdukdukgoos Member Posts: 22
    99 is gonna feel super OP for BG1. If you like that sort of thing go for it. I'd prefer to play with characters in the 80s for more challenge.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited June 2020
    Given the choice between getting back fifteen minutes of my life, or having a dice roll of 99 first time in BG, I’d probably go for the former. But happiness is important too, so if that’s what you want...Frankly a roll of 77 would have been acceptable, just a bit more challenging ;)

As mentioned above, playing the Pits to completion before BG1 is inadvisable. BG1 should usually be played by a level one character from scratch, otherwise the game will be too easy. You can import a higher level character for BG1 if you want...for instance playing a high level wizard around Candlekeep in the prologue can be quite amusing, but I doubt it’s how the game is supposed to be played.

Also, all characters with strengths between 18/01 and 18/50 behave in exactly the same way, which is about 50% of all characters with exceptional strength...so looking at it that way a roll of 18/05 is statistically fine. If you are lucky to find an item that increases your strength by one in the game, your ranger will go up to 19 strength, regardless of where he/she is on the exceptional strength scale, which is worth considering.

Looking back on it, exceptional strength in D&D seems like an odd idea, although most warriors and other characters were only very rarely able to (survive long enough to) increase their strength past 18 in a typical game.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Dharius wrote: »

Also, all characters with strengths between 18/01 and 18/50 behave in exactly the same way, which is about 50% of all characters with exceptional strength...so looking at it that way a roll of 18/05 is statistically fine. If you are lucky to find an item that increases your strength by one in the game, your ranger will go up to 19 strength, regardless of where he/she is on the exceptional strength scale, which is worth considering.

Yeah, this is the big thing to keep in mind. While that 18/05 looks particularly bad, it's basically a coin flip to land in the worst exceptional strength bracket in the game. With the odds of each bracket after that becoming progressively smaller as they become more powerful, until the highest has literally a 1% chance of achieving it.
    PS given the choice, I would play BG1 first, then Pits with a completely level 1 new character/party. BG1 is a better tutorial on how to play the game (by speaking with the green robed tutors around Candlekeep) and Pits focuses more on combats, which are generally more advanced, and are only one aspect of the entire game experience.

That said, you could also just try either, after completing the Provided tutorial, which involves the characters Imoen, Xan, Branwen and Belt, and takes place in Baldur’s Gate City. It’s done very well and should give a good background.
    Thanks again for all the responses, been a big help. Also @Dharius thank you. You gave me a idea for a roleplay as a sorcerer. If any class might be fun to roleplay over powered given the description that would be it. Say maybe a descendant of Mystra (one who was killed by Helm from what I read, and not the new Mystra.)
    edited June 2020
    You’re welcome. Sorcerers can be very powerful, given a good choice of spells. But if you’re supported by five other party members, then spell choices aren’t perhaps so crucial. Do a search on google or on these forums about ‘best’ choices if you want to get spoiled however...

Standard unkitted rangers are a fair choice too. I played a half-elf one with fairly average stats of 83 total through BG1 and really enjoyed it: a lot of the game is in wilderness crammed with black bears that you can charm and send against foes, making most battles a cinch. Minsc, one of the icons of the BG series Is also an unkitted ranger, and he rocks.

Whatever you choose, I’d advise sticking with a character until the end of the game, unless you really can’t stand it...restartitis is a real problem in this game - I caught it and it took me nearly five years to finish first time!

On deities, it’s purely aesthetic unless you happen to be a kitted cleric. From what I’ve seen, historically popular choices are deities from the Time of Troubles, which occurred twenty years before the events of BG1, such as Cyric, Kelemvor and Midnight/Mystra. Mystra is a key character in forgotten realms and has several incarnations/resurrections, she’s a bit like Jean Grey/Phoenix of this franchise :) Cyric will become one of your enemies as you become more powerful, regardless of your alignment. Oghma is also a popular choice, as he’s the patron deity of Candlekeep, and has followers of all alignments. Again you could do a google search of forgotten realms deities to read up on their histories - in 2e D&D there are hundreds, and being dead doesn’t seem to stop them from being worshipped.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    As Dharius says, ranger is a solid class for the the first game. The stealth skill really helps a lot, use the actual shadows in the game world to try and hide. There are some items to beef up this skill. You can basically sneak up on the majority of the fights in the game. Pair a stealthy ranger with a trap finding thief and use them as a forward scouting team for your party in dungeons. Even if you don't play as a ranger, I think you should use one of the two NPC rangers.

A ranger focused on the longbow is probably one of the strongest builds for BG1, especially if you're new to the game. It can trivialize alot of the early game difficulty, where one or two hits can kill a character. In fact, if you do struggle in the early fighting, just focus on using ranged weapons with most or all of your early party.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    Rangers are solid warriors, easy to use. Fighters on the other side somewhat more fit for me to the black pits. Earn mastery on bows and a melee weapon of choice is a great boon. Compare the weapon prof stats: 2 point in a weapon earn 1 thaco and 2 damage bonus and an additionally 0,5 attack per round, 3 pont and gain additional 2 thaco and 1 dmg bonus so you will get 3 thaco, 3 dmg and the 0,5 apr overall.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited July 2020
    I would disagree a bit with the conventional wisdom here, an 18/91+ strength in BG1 is more important for ranger power than the number of points you roll. Anything above 80 points will end up getting put in mental stats which have little value on a ranger, whereas an extra +1 to-hit and +2 damage matter on each and every one of the thousands of attacks you'll make over the course of the game.

I'd also note that with the game already providing two well-statted rangers, it might make more sense to go with a half-elf ranger/cleric protagonist, which would offer a similar "feel" but be significantly more forgiving for new players.
    Post edited by jsaving on
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    edited July 2020
    jsaving wrote: »
    I would disagree a bit with the conventional wisdom here, an 18/91+ strength in BG1 is more important for ranger power than the number of points you roll. Anything above 80 will end up getting put in mental stats which have little value on a ranger, whereas an extra +1 to-hit and +2 damage matter on each and every one of the thousands of attacks you'll make over the course of the game.

Sounds a bit like Minsc!

If you are doing a trilogy run, then if you can get a strength increasing item (kept generic to avoid spoilers) that makes the % irrelevant for the 80% plus remainder of the playing experience. Knowing this I don’t really worry about the strength %, especially as ranged weapons are king in BG. If this was IWD the % would be more important. Mental stats have their uses, such as against mind flayers.
    Yeah, totally agree that strength becomes less important in BG2. Mental stats are mixed though, as you can safely drop CHA to 3 in BG2 but will occasionally need high INT on a melee character.
    edited July 2020
    The uses of mental stats for a Ranger:

Int: Unlocks a few dialogue options. 9 Int allows the use of priest scrolls and protection scrolls. Acts as an alternate HP pool when fighting illithids in BG2. Modifies lore score - but your party should have a thief, mage or bard with a much better score anyway. Intelligence can be temporarily boosted with potions of genius and of mind focusing, which are plentiful in BG2 but relatively rare in BG1. Racial minimums 4 if half-elf, 8 if elf.

Wis: Unlocks a few dialogue options. Modifies lore score. Can be temporarily raised to 18 with potions of insight, which are plentiful in BG2. Class minimum 14.

Cha: Unlocks some dialogue options. The party's "face", in the first slot, affects store prices with their charisma. The speaker's charisma modifies the "reaction score", which affects many dialogue options. A few items increase charisma when equipped, and there's a ring you find early in BG2 that sets base charisma to 18. Racial minimum 8 if elf.

For something pretty close to a min-maxed elf ranger build, there's the recruitable companion Kivan: 18/12 strength, 17 Dex, 14 Con, 10 Int, 14 Wis, 8 Cha. Starts specialized in halberds and longbows. Of course, with only 81 points total, he had to make some compromises - he couldn't afford to raise all of his physical stats.
    Post edited by jmerry on
    The number of dialogue options unlocked by high mental stats are extremely small, even for CHA, though yes there are some.
    Point taken, and edited. I was more thinking of the options based on reaction score, which is partly dependent on charisma.
    The number of dialogue options unlocked by high mental stats are extremely small, even for CHA, though yes there are some.

This is true, but I still think there's some huge value in BG1, especially for a newer player to having a high CHA. There's no NPC with that score. There's a way to boost it somewhat early to 19 and thus get a large reaction bonus. This, along with playing good, can tremendously lower vendor prices, some of those items can be a big boost to a party depending on composition. Also raises the odds of keeping different aligned characters together if kept in slot 1, lowers morale failure odds iirc.

However there are NPC's with high strength. And I don't think melee weapons focusing is all that strong in BG1 anyways. It's especially not a great role for a ranger in BG1 imo, who is better off being capable of stealthing at all times. Your 1 or 2 melee characters should be defensively focused. It's far easier to drop Thac0's via ranged weapons. So I think the high roll, which allows a ranger with max physical stats, max charisma and enough intelligence to read scrolls is probably preferable than a high secondary strength ranger who has to make a sacrifice or not get that max charisma. Just my opinion though. And in terms of a full saga playthrough, well there are so many strength boosting items.
    So here is what I went with 18/05, 18, 18, 14,14,17. I keep him in light armor use him as a scout but I like also being able to go in dual wielding in heavy armor when not scouting. I like that versatility. Plus at level 8 I will get some spells, more spell casting is never a bad thing right?
    DinoDin wrote: »
    And in terms of a full saga playthrough, well there are so many strength boosting items.
    That cuts both directions though, since you can boost your CHA to 18 any time you want in BG2 through a charisma boosting item.
    DinoDin wrote: »
    And in terms of a full saga playthrough, well there are so many strength boosting items.
    That cuts both directions though, since you can boost your CHA to 18 any time you want in BG2 through a charisma boosting item.

Not quite. As I said, you can boost it to 19 early in BG1, that single point above 18 gives a large bonus to reaction. You can't get there with that item. And just as in BG1, the very beginning of BG2 is where earning a fat discount at stores helps the most.