Skip to content

The Road to 2.6 | Can you download and start Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition 2.6 Beta on Steam?

CameronToferCameronTofer Administrator, Developer Posts: 279
edited July 2020 in The Road to 2.6
We've made changes that could impact device compatibility. We want to make sure everyone can access and run the beta before going any further. Specifically we want to make sure 32-bit and 64-bit systems are running the correct versions.
  1. The Road to 2.6 | Can you download and start Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition 2.6 Beta on Steam?113 votes
    1. I have downloaded and started Baldur's Gate on Windows and saw v2.6 at the start screen
      53.98%
    2. I have downloaded and started Baldur's Gate on macOS and saw v2.6 at the start screen
        0.00%
    3. I have downloaded and started Baldur's Gate on Linux and saw v2.6 at the start screen
        0.88%
    4. I was unable to get to the start screen. (please explain)
      12.39%
    5. I am not a Steam customer or unable to help test at this time
      32.74%

Comments

• DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    edited July 2020
    k5fofpen840w.jpg
    Let's get crackin'! Also works with SoD installed by the way.
  • MeraMera Member Posts: 133
    I can't see road_to_2.6 in the betas dropdown, all I got is none, bg2_bteta_bg2EE beta and bgiiee_1.3.
    Would that be the second one or am I missing something?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Mera wrote: »
    I can't see road_to_2.6 in the betas dropdown, all I got is none, bg2_bteta_bg2EE beta and bgiiee_1.3.

You're looking at BG2. Please try with BG:EE.
  • anastielanastiel Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 246
    i'm doing the test here, on windows 10, in the portuguese language of brazil, i just noticed a problem in the interface so far and also sluggish, taking a while to load more than normal.
    vy7d1cmtaosw.jpg
    85no7dty9d4f.jpg
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @anastiel Thanks for the feedback. "also sluggish, taking a while to load more than normal." - Can you elaborate more on this, please? What is your system?

BTW, take it easy, everyone-- currently, we're only testing hardware. More phases will come in the future. So we'd appreciate if you could just download the 2.6 beta, launch the game and share if it works for you.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    edited July 2020
    YUPEE!

xkvttsgupejf.png

Also
    sbyx003a7mqu.png

Tested on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit on a HP 250-G6 laptop.

EDIT: Also, is it just me or the game feels a lot smooooooother now?
  • bloodparticlebloodparticle Member Posts: 2
    PC INFO
    -
    Nome do SO: Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    Versão: 10.0.19041 Compilação 19041
    Tipo do sistema: x64-based PC
    Processador: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 4 Núcleo(s), 8 Processador(es) Lógico(s)
    Memória Física (RAM) Instalada: 32,0 GB
    Intel(R) Xeon(R) E3 - 1200/1500 v5/6th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) PCIe Controller (x16) - 1901
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M-
    -
    Can you launch Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition on your device? [Yes]✓
    Do the graphics display correctly? [Yes]✓
    Do you hear sounds? [Yes]✓
    Does the music play? [Yes]✓
    -

To load the saved games you may have you need to allow "controlled folder access".
  • anastielanastiel Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 246
    edited July 2020
    Can play - yes
    Do you hear sounds - yes
    Does the music play - yes

Windows 10 Pro, i7, 8gb ram.
    Post edited by anastiel on
  • cremrockcremrock Member Posts: 2
    Successfully launched the game! Windows 10 Home desktop here.

• fs_mercuryfs_mercury Member Posts: 2
    Successfully downloaded and launched 2.6 on Windows.

Two bugs I encountered while starting a new game:
    - When creating a new character, after choosing to "import" and being taken to the character file screen, when I opted to "cancel" and was taken back to the regular creation screen, I was unable to quit or edit any properties. I had to go along with an invisible 9-everywhere character (which FYI turned out to be some nymph creature). Screenshot below
    - Minor bug: I was unable to see the bottom row of the dialogue box

ejpfxzh49crf.png
  • Icingdeath99Icingdeath99 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2020
    Baldur's Gate on OSX 10.15.5 (macbook pro 2020 13") doesn't launch after installing the road_to_2.6 build.
    Did run "verify integrity of game files" in steam, but that didn't help.

Steam popup:
    "An error occured while updating Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (missing executable):
    /Users/<censored>/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app
    "

When I try to launch the binary directly osx complains with the following message:
    "BaldursGateEnhancedEdition cannot be opened because of a problem.

Check with the developer to make sure BaldursGateEnhancedEdition works with this version of macOS. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and macOS.

Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple."

OSX 10.15 dropped 32bit support, don't know if this binary is 32bit?

I normally play BG on my windows rig, just trying to be helpful by testing osx :)

Thank you for still supporting these games.

I am currently playing a BG1 to BG2 TOB run, that I started last month and played SOD for the first and enjoyed it a lot, clearly a lot of effort went into it.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    edited July 2020
    OSX 10.15.5 (Catalina), MBP 16", 2019
    OSX 10.15.5 (Catalina), MBP 15", Mid 2015
    OSX 10.14.6 (Mojave), MBP 13", Mid 2012

Same error as Icinddeath99. If I try to run it from the shell:
    user@host:~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/BaldursGateEnhancedEdition.app/Contents/MacOS $ ./BaldursGateEnhancedEdition
    dyld: Library not loaded: @rpath/libopenal.dylib
      Referenced from: /Users/user/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/BaldursGateEnhancedEdition.app/Contents/MacOS/./BaldursGateEnhancedEdition
      Reason: image not found
    Abort trap: 6

• Romeo_RedRomeo_Red Member Posts: 14
    edited July 2020
    Objective #1: Hardware Compatibility Test (Duration: 10min)

Can you launch Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition on your device?
    Yes. (Windows 10, Steam)

Do the graphics display correctly?
    No, the graphics do not display correctly. There are still glitches appearing around spell animations and in other places as well (screens attached). This problem exists in every version post-1.3 and was reported multiple times before.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/78993/windows-bg-ee-bg2-ee-graphical-glitches-lines-around-sprites-and-animations-weird-shadows#latest
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1127918#Comment_1127918

Do you hear sounds?
    Yes.

Does the music play?
    Mostly yes, but there is no music in Candlekeep. After leaving Candlekeep, the music starts to play normally.

• Airman1991Airman1991 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 50
    Baldur's Gate starts on Windows 10. Graphics display correctly. I hear sounds and the music plays.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i can confirm @fs_mercury 's bug, and yeah, if you do cancel on import you will be made into a nymph type creature and in game everyone's portait is that of male2

r78vdkpks1a4.jpg
    gtiqedv767vi.jpg

this is with SoD installed

PC specs;

windows 10 home
    intel core i9 9900k
    z390 gaming pro carbon MoBo
    g. skill trident z ram, 32 GB 3200 Mhz
    samsung 970 evo nvme 2TB
    rog strix gtx2080 ti
  • hazschhazsch Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2020
    I'm on macOS 10.13.6 and once I updated the game and tried to launch it I got this.
    ejjzaz8kqron.png
    I tried reinstalling the entire game but I got the same result.
  • ArkieArkie Member Posts: 9
    Windows 10 2004 x64
    BG1 w/o SoD crashes on startup.
    SoD game works fine. Some lines on Russian version are English.
    Specs:
    Dell G5 5587 with Intel core i5-8300H and Nvidia Geforce 1060 max-q
    kb1341heivcz.png
    muf30d2mgkt0.png
  • MonsDraconisMonsDraconis Member Posts: 1
    Was unable to get to start screen. Running Ubuntu 20.04. AMD x570, 2700x, RX590. Click on start button and preparing to launch window opens, then closes and start button reappears.
  • ATigersClawATigersClaw Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 161
    Any chance of participating in the beta without a Steam account?
    I purchased all the Infinity games through GOG and would love to help.
    Mera wrote: »

You're looking at BG2. Please try with BG:EE.

Oh, ok. Since the other post mentioned all 4 games, thought the beta would be available the same :)
    Will see if I can give it a try since I don't have the game installed right now.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited July 2020
    What's interesting is that I can't change my vote and I can't vote for more than one platform - I have both a Windows Desktop and a Linux Laptop to test.

WINDOWS 10 x64 DESKTOP:
    Can you launch Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition on your device? YES
    Do the graphics display correctly? YES
    Do you hear sounds? YES
    Does the music play? YES

DEBIAN TESTING/SID x64 LAPTOP:
    Can you launch Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition on your device? NO
    Terminal Log:
    Opted-in Controller Mask for AppId 228280: 0
    GameAction [AppID 228280, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to ProcessingInstallScript with ""
    GameAction [AppID 228280, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to SynchronizingCloud with ""
    GameAction [AppID 228280, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to SiteLicenseSeatCheckout with ""
    GameAction [AppID 228280, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to CreatingProcess with ""
    GameAction [AppID 228280, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to CreatingProcess ""
    GameAction [AppID 228280, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp continues with user response "CreatingProcess"
    Game update: AppID 228280 "", ProcID 2079612, IP 0.0.0.0:0
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/pokota/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/pokota/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
    INFO: status: 1
    INFO: error: cannot open file pointer: No such file or directory
    INFO: Creating DPWrapper
    INFO: Steam not found
    INFO: Scanning(0)..(13)
    INFO: mounting archive: sod-dlc.zip
    Starting app 228280
    >>> Adding process 2079612 for game ID 228280
    GameAction [AppID 228280, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
    >>> Adding process 2079613 for game ID 228280
    >>> Adding process 2079614 for game ID 228280
    GameAction [AppID 228280, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with ""
    INFO: LUA: UI string not found: PLAY_GAME_BUTTON
    INFO: LUA: UI string not found: Recent events text will go here.
    Segmentation fault
    Game removed: AppID 228280 "", ProcID 2079612 
    Uploaded AppInterfaceStats to Steam
    Exiting app 228280
    No cached sticky mapping in ActivateActionSet.

Post edited by Pokota on
  • MokonaMokona Member Posts: 89
    Objective #1: Hardware Compatibility Test

>Can you launch Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition on your device?
    Yes.

>Do the graphics display correctly?
    Mostly yes. The issue described by @Romeo_Red seems to go away or be a lot less noticeable when disabling Sprite Outlines and Nearest Neighbor Scaling in the graphics options.
    See this video for a great example. In the rat warehouse in Candlekeep, the rats and cats have a very noticeable vertical black line in their death animation that trails off to the right. After disabling Sprite outlines and Nearest Neighbor Scaling, then reloading the game from main menu, this goes away. The same can be said for other things that have the issue like multiple spell effects, etc.
    https://streamable.com/gx575x

>Do you hear sounds?
    Yes.

>Does the music play?
    Yes, but not in Candlekeep for some reason. Seems to work everywhere else.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Is there supposed to be music playing when you're in the outside area of Candlekeep? Because I did hear music when inside the tavern.
    Thanks for the music reports, we'll investigate.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited July 2020
    - Yes

- Yes, found a button that seems like a placeholder though, pic in spoilers since it's not part of the objective.
    "play-game-button"

1jb96n8wvtd9.png

Do you hear sounds?
    - Yes

Does the music play?
    - Yes
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Purchased BGEE from the Apple App Store, can't help right now.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

Considering the last "road to" testing included the Beamdog version, my guess is that they are tracking steam specific issues right now. They might have had issues with it in internal testing that didn't arise with the beamdog client.
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 1,000
    edited July 2020
    - Yes, (Windows 10 64bit, winver 1909)
    ey2s5jpivuik.jpg

- Mostly. I noticed the fireball spell doesn't properly fan out when it hits in the opening cutscene. Cheated in for the GIF:
    1jkh2qr0c4dr.gif

The inventory portrait highlighting, (orange rectangle around the edge), is also broken:
    1) If you click an empty slot the highlights appear, (and don't go away).
    2) If you transfer an item to another party member the highlight stays up.

These highlights stay up permanently, regardless of the screen, unless you pick up & put down a real item. I apologize for how hard it is to see the bug in the following GIF - it's easiest if you open it in another tab and just watch Dynaheir's portrait:
    b49zs61i2tz6.gif

Do you hear sounds?
    - Yes

Does the music play?
    - Yes

Edit - Graphics card might be useful for rendering errors: GTX 1070
    Yes (Win10, x64)

All good

Do you hear sounds?
    As clear as it gets

Does the music play?
    As beautiful as ever
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited July 2020
    ThacoBell wrote: »

Considering the last "road to" testing included the Beamdog version, my guess is that they are tracking steam specific issues right now. They might have had issues with it in internal testing that didn't arise with the beamdog client.

This, plus the Beamdog Client itself is not working on all platforms at present due to a dependency error (specifically, on *NIX-like OSes - it's definitely broken on at least Debian and Ubuntu). The impression I get is that the games themselves are a higher priority - getting 2.6 out the door will free up resources to fix other stuff - and that Steam users are the largest share of the customer base.
This discussion has been closed.