Skip to content

[MOD] Test Your Mettle!

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Funny thing, but... I think I don't understand what I am supposed to do with Baatezu Wardstone. I found the place, got rid of the "obstacles", found the item, got back to the director and... nothing. It's been a while ago, I don't remember exactly the talk with the director and note in the journal doesn't give me any specific information. Could anyone remind me what was I supposed to do next?
    Yeah, the journal entry is somewhat vague about what the wardstone can do. Basically you have to find the area with the entrance to the boss room. If you have the wardstone in your inventory it should reveal a hidden door.

Returning to the director is optional. You'll get some XP and an item, which is nice but not really necessary to complete the quest.
    Maybe I can extend his dialog a bit and add more specific directions how or where to find the boss. I'll think about it.

Also, I think I found a bug: priestress and her demon found Viconia when I was inside the cube. When they got hostile, all the modrons got hostile as well. I guess they thought I attacked them, but I never did.
    Did it happen in the director's room? These creatures are using standard combat scripts which turns them hostile if some non-evil creature uses a hostile action against them. Maybe the priestess used an AoE spell? Another reason could be that both groups are using the same shout value which can also turn them hostile.
    I think such an unfortunate series of event is rather unlikely though. You can probably use the latest autosave which is created when you enter the room if something like that happens again.
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,680
    edited February 2020
    argent77 wrote: »
    Yeah, the journal entry is somewhat vague about what the wardstone can do. Basically you have to find the area with the entrance to the boss room. If you have the wardstone in your inventory it should reveal a hidden door.

Hmm, I think I've been walking in the maze forever. What I realized is that no matter what, I couldn't find 1-1 room. The entrance is alwas blocked. Do the door open once enemies in the room are down or should the door appear no metter if there's anyone there? Because now I've been running without killing monsters to find the place more quickly.
    EDIT: found the place, nevermind. The matter below is still valid, though.
    Did it happen in the director's room? These creatures are using standard combat scripts which turns them hostile if some non-evil creature uses a hostile action against them. Maybe the priestess used an AoE spell? Another reason could be that both groups are using the same shout value which can also turn them hostile.
    I think such an unfortunate series of event is rather unlikely though. You can probably use the latest autosave which is created when you enter the room if something like that happens again.

Is there a chance that they become hostile once they see any other enemy? Because it happened more than once. Both in the Director's Room and the one from which we enter the maze. That Viconia even is timered what means I had to use codes to get out of there as soon as possible, because the priestress would come and a second or two after she turned hostile, all modrons would do the same.
    edited February 2020
    Hmm, I think I've been walking in the maze forever. What I realized is that no matter what, I couldn't find 1-1 room.
    The area with the boss entrance is randomized as well, but should always be in the "back row" of maze areas (labeled "Rubikon Grid 1-x" if grid markers are enabled).
    Is there a chance that they become hostile once they see any other enemy? Because it happened more than once. Both in the Director's Room and the one from which we enter the maze. That Viconia even is timered what means I had to use codes to get out of there as soon as possible, because the priestress would come and a second or two after she turned hostile, all modrons would do the same.
    The sight of a hostile creature shouldn't trigger anything. I'd guess the shout value is to blame. The creatures use script "GENSHT01.BCS" to react to threats, which appears to be a rather popular script for all kinds of creatures in the game. Maybe I should replace it by a custom version.
  • deratiseurderatiseur Member Posts: 227
    In "Trial of the Luremaster for BG2EE", a composant propose to add IWDEE spells to BG2EE.
    A crazy idea, but all in all logical: why doesn't "test your mettle" propose to add PSTEE spells to BG2EE?
    deratiseur wrote: »
    In "Trial of the Luremaster for BG2EE", a composant propose to add IWDEE spells to BG2EE.
    A crazy idea, but all in all logical: why doesn't "test your mettle" propose to add PSTEE spells to BG2EE?
    The inclusion of IWD spells in TotLM was necessary because the content relied heavily on them.

The situation is different with this mod, however. It has been basically written from scratch, using only resources and the general idea of the Modron Maze from PST. Moreover, PST spells are somewhat "special". They often use hardcoded features of the PST engine which can't be reproduced by the other IE engine variants.

The only PST spell that would have made sense anyway would be "Mechanus Cannon" which relies on some of the hardcoded features.
    As compensation I have restored the Spacewarp spell instead, which existed in BG2 as stub without functionality and fits nicely into this setting.
  • AniruddhaAniruddha Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2020
    I'm stucked in this place and I can't get out! I found the 1-1 but didn't happen anything.
    Please help me!
    1.0 - I completed the quests and saved the modrons (I'm alone now), but I still can't get out of the maze.
    Post edited by Aniruddha on
    Aniruddha wrote: »
    1.0 - I completed the quests and saved the modrons (I'm alone now), but I still can't get out of the maze.
    You can leave the modron area by using the Modron Cube which should still be in your possession. One of the dialog options should allow you to leave. You can't use it during combat though.

If you don't have the cube anymore, use the debug console to create a new one with the following console command:
    C:CreateItem("A7#MCUBE")

edited July 2020
    My cube just give me two options: send me to the entrance of the dungeon and put the cube away. I created a new one using the C:CreateItem("A7#MCUBE") console, but still the same two options.
    @Aniruddha Use the cube to get back to the entrance, and then use the cube in the entrance area again. Does it show the option to return home?
    @Aniruddha Use the cube to get back to the entrance, and then use the cube in the entrance area again. Does it show the option to return home?

No, unfortunatelly. Its the same. For now I'm stucked... :/
    It's possible that one of the required variables isn't set correctly. Enter this line into the debug console (use copy and paste) and try again:
    C:SetGlobal("A7#LocationRubikon","GLOBAL",1);C:SetGlobal("A7#KnowCubePrime","GLOBAL",1)

If that doesn't help either then try this command in the debug console:
    C:Eval('AddAreaType(RUBIKON)')

and use the cube again. If that works then there is most likely a conflict with another mod.
    It's possible that one of the required variables isn't set correctly. Enter this line into the debug console (use copy and paste) and try again:
    C:SetGlobal("A7#LocationRubikon","GLOBAL",1);C:SetGlobal("A7#KnowCubePrime","GLOBAL",1)

If that doesn't help either then try this command in the debug console:
    C:Eval('AddAreaType(RUBIKON)')

and use the cube again. If that works then there is most likely a conflict with another mod.

The second one worked. You're the best, my friend. Thank you!
  • zartanzartan Member Posts: 13
    Encountered an item bug, I think it was in v1.2. I recall it might have been the north-west item creation machine that created a non-existant item. Other mods were installed too.
    l5m54wayypob.jpg
    zartan wrote: »
    Encountered an item bug, I think it was in v1.2. I recall it might have been the north-west item creation machine that created a non-existant item. Other mods were installed too.
    l5m54wayypob.jpg
    The only items installed by this mod with an invalid item name are placeholder items that shouldn't be available as loot. Do you know exactly where you picked it up. Is it still in your inventory? In that case could please you zip and attach a save?
  • zartanzartan Member Posts: 13
    I tried this mod on my earlier playthrough and have already deleted saves, sorry.

I grinded, aka ctrl + y spammed, to get all of the four different maze loots to over 100 pieces and then kept save-scumming to see all the possible rewards I could get out of the four 'reward' holes. I'm quite positive it was the west* hole that could give you a piece of invisible loot and when you picked it up it turned into that one in the picture.

*north-west in BG logic (Watcher's Keep maze)
  • TulgasTulgas Member Posts: 22
    That was very frustrating experience. PS:T is my favorite game, this mod charms immediately. But then gets totally broken and wrecked and I would never install this (re-spawn) version if I knew what to expect. PS:T is different game, as far as I can remember it's very fighter - oriented.

First of all, whole labyrinth difficulty can be ranged as:
    hardest: random party of mages
    hard: solo mage
    too easy: solo fighter
    It's specifically because of no rest rests rule and traps. Keeping solo alive and well is dramatically easier under respawn conditions.

I had random 6-party for this and couldn't kick them off due to quests and type of game.

This mod would be so much better if it contained no unlimited experience and no respawn (no rest is ok if areas cleaned permanently). I completely skipped maze with invisibility and fast legs and fought only bosses. Without total maze frustration it would be probably quite enjoyable.

Right now only one question: can modron cube area be used as home - storage area? Can teleports break something in game?
    There is no need to defeat all enemies in all maze areas. You can just move to the next exit if you want to skip a fight. At higher levels more enemies will teleport in at random intervals which makes cleaning maps more difficult.

The "Reduce XP" subcomponent is highly recommended for this mod. With this component installed it's a rather time-consuming task to collect enough XP to make a difference. It's probably quicker to earn XP by fighting mobs spawned by continuously resting in certain game areas.
  • TulgasTulgas Member Posts: 22
    edited October 2020
    I had some strange things after multiple fights skipped when all areas constantly spawned around 15-20 top level monsters on top of each other and basically instant kill you. Considering that some of them can see through invisibility, it was dead end. Again, for me it seems much more reasonable if no monsters in maze had ability to see through non-detection.
    There is other thing here, it was my first game in BG2 and maze was just small part of game. May be if it was only new part of game, experience of defeating maze would be more appreciated.

P.S. Indeed, cube area works quite well as storage before you get actual storage accessible from any place of game -
    pocket plane
    Post edited by Tulgas on
  • AntonIIAntonII Member Posts: 31
    Hey there,

ALIEN's Project Infinity mod manager for some reason doesn't recognize your mods' components, nor does it show the links to the readme, the site, or the github page.

As most of the other mods seem to work fine with the program, is there a chance you'd put yours in a compatible format?

Here is what I mean:
    atb6eudzaic3.png

• CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    edited December 2020
    Hmm, strange. I'm 100% sure it worked with previous version(s) of PI. I have installed both mods before using PI without any issues.
  • AntonIIAntonII Member Posts: 31
    Cahir wrote: »
    Hmm, strange. I'm 100% sure it worked with previous version(s) of PI. I have installed both mods before using PI without any issues.

It installs just fine. The names aren't being shown. Can you run your PI and see if the mod is shown correctly?
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    AntonII wrote: »
    Cahir wrote: »

It installs just fine. The names aren't being shown. Can you run your PI and see if the mod is shown correctly?

It is not, I have the same issue as you. But I'm pretty sure it was shown correctly a couple of months ago with one of the previous PI versions.
    AntonII
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    @argent77 The component names issue is caused by weidu bug: https://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=29521.msg337687#msg337687

The current workaround is to replace %MOD_FOLDER% only for LANGUAGE statements.
    AntonII wrote: »
    Hey there,

ALIEN's Project Infinity mod manager for some reason doesn't recognize your mods' components, nor does it show the links to the readme, the site, or the github page.

As most of the other mods seem to work fine with the program, is there a chance you'd put yours in a compatible format?
    I haven't had the time to look into PI and the associated package creation tool yet. But now that PI has matured quite a bit I should probably take the time.

ALIEN wrote: »
    The component names issue is caused by weidu bug: https://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=29521.msg337687#msg337687

The current workaround is to replace %MOD_FOLDER% only for LANGUAGE statements.
    Good to know. That would apply to a good number of my mods. From what I've seen this bug seems to trigger only if folders of previously installed mods are not available anymore when new mods are installed (which rarely happens when you install mods manually.)
    New release: Test Your Mettle! v1.3

Changelog:
    • Added Project Infinity metadata
    • Fixed potential display issues with component names in WeiDU.log and Project Infinity
    • Fixed typos in the readme
    AntonII
  • lollerslollers Member Posts: 190
    Is this thing repeatable? I wonder if this is something that will be good for grinding levels on a F/M/T? Not something I'd normally consider, but such characters are a slog to level with normal means.
    lollers wrote: »
    Is this thing repeatable? I wonder if this is something that will be good for grinding levels on a F/M/T? Not something I'd normally consider, but such characters are a slog to level with normal means.

You can revisit the dungeon to fight monsters anytime as long as you haven't beaten the boss. Monsters respawn as soon as you enter a map, so you don't even need to clear the whole dungeon to level up. Moving back and forth between two maps is enough.
  • egonegon Member Posts: 94
    So, is there a map or a walkthrough or something for this thing? Because I keep getting lost and just being endlessly attacked by never-ending monster spawns.
    egon wrote: »
    So, is there a map or a walkthrough or something for this thing? Because I keep getting lost and just being endlessly attacked by never-ending monster spawns.

A map would make little sense since the dungeon is randomly generated whenever you enter it.

To help navigation you could return to the modron director and ask him to activate the "Rubikon navigation system". It allows you to see the column and row position of the room in the dungeon. You can also use the modron cube to teleport back to the dungeon entrance whenever you want to leave the dungeon.
    Your first goal is a room somewhere on the left ("north") side of the dungeon. Your second goal is a room somewhere on the top ("east") side of the dungeon.
    egon
  • egonegon Member Posts: 94
    To help navigation you could return to the modron director and ask him to activate the "Rubikon navigation system". It allows you to see the column and row position of the room in the dungeon. You can also use the modron cube to teleport back to the dungeon entrance whenever you want to leave the dungeon.

Thanks for the quick reply! I realized just now that the journal actually tells you to go and talk to the director. Never had a useful journal entry before. :D