Skip to content

[SoU] The resting restriction needs to be removed

Ian579Ian579 Member Posts: 241
I'm at the beginning of the interlude and am in the Stinger Caves searching for someone. But the entire caves does not allow resting due to being "dangerous", and I have to go a long way back to the "safe" area every time I need to rest.

It's not just the interlude. The chapter one already has this problem.

I play a wizard and need to rest often, especially after my familiar (for melee and trap triggering) or summoned creature (my main tank) dies.

Such a restriction only makes the gameplay of a wizard unpleasant.

It's not viable for a wizard and possibly some other classes to go through these caves without resting. We have to rest when doing this area, right? Since we have to rest anyway, why implementing such a unnecessary restriction?

Comments

• Ian579Ian579 Member Posts: 241
    edited July 2020
    Now I'm in the Tome of Kel-Garas. Every time I need rest, I have to go outside of the tomb. Unbelievable.
  • n00bdragonn00bdragon Member Posts: 11
    So open the module in the toolset and remove it. Pretty simple.
    Rohomild
    edited July 2020
    n00bdragon wrote: »
    So open the module in the toolset and remove it. Pretty simple.

I prefer not modding.
    In Netheril ruins, I found that some rooms allow resting, as long as the door is closed. But still, not every area has such rooms.
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    It's an intentional part of the game experience, in this case. You can opt to restore yourself using the console commands. Do a search for neverwinter nights console commands to see a list and how to use them.

Might I ask, how did you get to the other areas you mention? The Tome of Kel-Garas, and then the Netheril ruins?
    Rohomildbladeshriek
    edited July 2020
    JFK wrote: »
    It's an intentional part of the game experience, in this case. You can opt to restore yourself using the console commands. Do a search for neverwinter nights console commands to see a list and how to use them.

Might I ask, how did you get to the other areas you mention? The Tome of Kel-Garas, and then the Netheril ruins?

Thanks, but I prefer not modding or using console commands (except for overcoming bugs).

I got to the other areas by following the game progress. Actually, I had a henchman Dorna Trapspringer accompanying me during the chapter 1. And she was my main tank.

When I progressed to the interlude, I changed my henchman to Deekin Scalesinger. But he was a crossbowman/spell caster at that time. Therefore I had to let my summoned monster be my main tank. Fortunately, I had been keeping some useful melee items I acquired in the chapter 1. And after claiming some more useful items in a chamber in the Tome of Kel-Garas, I turned Deekin into a melee character. He became my main tank from then on and has been doing fine, although his melee damage output is a bit low due to low Strength (6 unbuffed).
    JFK
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    Sounds like you adapted to the rest restrictions, and overcame them to progress.

Hope you continue on, and have some fun.

JFK
    Ian579Rohomildbladeshriek
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    actually you can rest more often than you think, you just need to be in a "safe and secure" room before you do

which means, find a room that has doors and make sure they are all closed ( so that there is no way in to the room you are in without opening a door ) and you should be able to rest

in that stringer tunnels you can actually rest in there, you just need to find a place where you can shut the doors so that no one can come in and you should be good to go
    Ian579Rohomildbladeshriek
  • RohomildRohomild Member Posts: 26
    Ian579 wrote: »

Thanks, but I prefer not modding or using console commands (except for overcoming bugs).

But isn't asking it to be patched out kind of just the same thing? I know the feeling that you might be doing something wrong is a bit unpleasant, but if you have more fun playing that way nobody is going to want to punish you for that. Having Beamdog remove the rest restrictions and you doing it yourself has the exact same outcome, and I liked not being able to rest a certain points. Made the game feel a bit more like you where camping where you could, and not just trying to sleep in somewhere unrealistic.
    Rohomild wrote: »

But isn't asking it to be patched out kind of just the same thing? I know the feeling that you might be doing something wrong is a bit unpleasant, but if you have more fun playing that way nobody is going to want to punish you for that. Having Beamdog remove the rest restrictions and you doing it yourself has the exact same outcome, and I liked not being able to rest a certain points. Made the game feel a bit more like you where camping where you could, and not just trying to sleep in somewhere unrealistic.

To me, it's not the same thing. One is official and legit, the other is not. Besides, resting doesn't always mean sleeping.
  • RohomildRohomild Member Posts: 26
    Rohomild wrote: »

To me, it's not the same thing. One is official and legit, the other is not. Besides, resting doesn't always mean sleeping.

Yes, but official and legit according to whom? It wasn't Beamdog that created SoU, so any changes they make would mean that they're pretty much just modding the game, and how is that different to you or I modding our game? Needing something to be legit is just a way to beg the developer to mod your game for you in a way that might harm the game as a whole. I am all for modding or developers changing things when they re-master a game, but you needing Beamdog to tell you that it's ok to play your game the way you want to play is unnecessary when you can just fix a small problem you have with a command line.
    The resting restrictions can be annoying, but I have had some very fun scenarios where I was down to just a few spells and needed to be very careful when pressing on, but if you don't like to play in such a way, then don't. And if you need an authority figure to tell you it's ok to use a command line to rest, pretend that I'm your rad uncle, Beamdog " - And you have my permission to play SoU the way you want to."
    ZwerkulesShadooowbladeshriekSymphony