Skip to content

Lore reason why would Gorion's ward would take x to his party

Baldur's Gate I has a lot possible companions, but there are not usually really fleshed out. Somewhere someone's asked for a story telling reason why would Gorion's ward take some like Eldoth to his party, and some answers were neat. I would like to extend this question and asked you all for a lore reason why Gorion's ward would want following people in his party. And why would this companion want to travel alongside Gorion's ward, Imoen, Khalid and Jaheira (let assume that they all are the core of this party and the people whom Gorion's ward trusts the most).
  1. Ajantis Ilvastarr
  2. Alora
  3. Baeloth Barrityl
  4. Branwen
  5. Coran
  6. Dorn Il-Khan
  7. Dynaheir
  8. Edwin Odesseiron
  9. Eldoth Kron
  10. Faldorn
  11. Garrick
  12. Imoen
  13. Jaheira
  14. Kagain
  15. Khalid
  16. Kivan
  17. Minsc
  18. Montaron
  19. Neera
  20. Quayle
  21. Rasaad yn Bashir
  22. Safana
  23. Shar-Teel Dosan
  24. Skie Silvershield
  25. Tiax
  26. Viconia DeVir
  27. Xan
  28. Xzar
  29. Yeslick Orothiar

Imoen, Jaheira and Khalid are quite obvious. But why would Gorion's ward trust anybody else after so many murder attempts on him (If I recall correctly at least 4 of them before talking to Khalid and Jaheira)

Comments

• ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    edited August 2020
    They’re desperate and need help. It’s a risk but it’s that or almost certain death on the road. I think this is generally very well handled.

For a number of these the enemy of my enemy is my friend - Yeslick, Xan, Faldorn, more loosely Branwen, Ajantis and Dynaheir (I think it only becomes clear later that your goals are aligned), and they may have no better options. I feel bad leaving Yeslick in the mines.

For others they join for a task that may benefit or interest the pc and then stay - Coran, Eldoth, Minsc, Edwin, Dorn, Xzar, Montarion and Kivan (he also fits nicely in the enemy of my enemy group). For Minsc and Dynaheir this works really well - you are sent off on a rescue mission and they then want to repay the debt, need the protection of a group and Dynaheir can pursue her mission, and you can use the help, everyone wins. From an RP perspective, it feels less plausible to let Coran join as your party is likely well set in stone by then on a first playthrough and his reasons to join are less convincing than a number of others.

Some join because they need help (Viconia and Neera), lose a bet (Shar-Teel) or need a new start (Kagain) which are all pretty plausible. The weaker ones are probably the “I’m bored, can I join you” / “you look bored, will you join me” npcs being Garrick, Rasaad and those in Baldur’s Gate, but it’s a dangerous world, there is strength in numbers and poverty may be beckoning.

From an RP perspective you could cast a know alignment or detect evil spell on them before allowing joining.

Your character may also get a gut feel. For Ajantis, it would probably need a superb dissembler to pull off all the “by Helm” stuff plausibly. And he could have a good aura as a paladin?

The game never explores betrayal or attempts to buy your team over apart from Yoshimo in the next edition and Sarevok (I think that’s just in the Ascension mod). It would be cool if they’d explored that with the evil npcs a bit (Edwin shows in the next edition that he will sell someone out for a better offer), or had a good npc being conflicted by being offered something they really need / want by the opposition, but I get why that wasn’t implemented due to the annoyance of building a party and then being left high and dry. It may also make evil even harder to pull off if your team could knife you in the back (in a plausible RP manner) for the rewards.

In the second Eye of the Beholder, one npc will leave when you rest and steal some of your stuff, annoying at the time but a nice bit of RP. His class is a big clue and you have little reason to trust him, it just subverts your expectations of how the game should work.
    Post edited by ilduderino on
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    edited August 2020
    I like that some of the reasons for taking certain NPCs are rather flimsy. It lets you eliminate some of the ridiculous amount of options, which is rather necessary lest you be left agonising over whom to take along for this or that particular mission every time you visit the FAI. I find it easy to roleplay refusing Minsc, e.g., even for a good character. It is him who attacks you, after all!

On the other hand, Eldoth actually has one of the best reasons for any greedy or unscrupulous Charname - he promises a profitable scheme, after all. Coran may be appealing simply by virtue of his charms to a female Charname, as does Safana to a male one. Garrick might not be particularly useful in combat, but having your very own bard to sing your exploits is certainly pleasing to your vanity.
    Post edited by Isewein on
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    "It is him who attacks you, after all!"

Yeah, after charname mocks Dynaheir's kidnapping.
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Isewein wrote: »
    I like that some of the reasons for taking certain NPCs are rather flimsy. It lets you eliminate some of the ridiculous amount of options

In some ways this makes the dilemma worse as it sometimes feels like the characters with flimsy reasons to join are more powerful and / or interesting than those that are foisted on you.

• Djasko_AmsterdamDjasko_Amsterdam Member Posts: 47
    https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Abdel_Adrian
    There's the protagonist, with either a twohanded or a bastard/longsword on his back and a dagger at his waist.
    The first npc coming to mind is Minsc, how could the protagonist not trust him of all people.. a slightly touched in the head, goodnatured man and experienced warrior who likes swords besides.

The second is the Paladin Ajantis ofcourse. There is no reason not to trust a Paladin, the Paladin, at the point of meeting him after Nashkel, will probably be intrigued by the scope of corruption already exposed and see it as a worthy cause to lend his aid to.

Then there's the fumbling fool with the moonblade, what a mind**** but he appears to at least not be out to get you, tho his cowardice excludes him from being called trustworthy.

By the way, when you get the Paladin, lorewise, I'd think you wouldn't have to worry as much anymore.. since he can sense evil at will. You even have the story in Bereghost with the kid that stole something if i recall correctly, and a Paladin there kept eying him, sensing something was off. You cant go wrong with a Pala, thats why im currently playing an Undead Hunter in bg2 SoA tho.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited August 2020
    I mean it’s not like the assassins that attack the player were particularly subtle with their intentions.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    imoen is your best friend and it's assumed she is locked out to so best to take her.

gorion told you to see Khalid and Jaheira.

ajantis is a paladin so he is trust worthy.

you are helping out Coran, Minsc, KIvan, Garric, Kagain, and Safana.

you save: Branwen, Yeslick, Xan, Viconia, Neera, and Dynaheir
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Lore reason for traveling with X companion: because body shields can come in handy. If they break, get a new one. :p
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Xzar and Montaron are on their way to Nashkel and agree to accompany you even if you tell them you're going to Friendly Arms first. They would have helped you against the would-be assassin there too. Soon after hooking up with Jaheira and Khalid it's decided that Nashkel is the place to go. Sounds like a good reason for all five of you to hang out (six if little sister tags along). After the mines it's likely that Xzar/Monty won't be wanting to hang with Jaheira/Khalid anymore and "voila", perfect chance to pick up any two (or three) of Kivan, Xan, Minsc, Dynaheir, Branwen, Edwin, Rasaad, Viconia, Shar-Teel, Neera, Dorn, Kagain or Garric.

It's kind of a stretch to pick up Safana or Ajantis that early and still role-play in my mind. Both are too far out of the way to justify the trip. I suppose you can play that you wanted to see for yourself that Baldur's Gate was closed off and that way would bump into Ajantis, but it's much more likely that somebody at the Friendly Arms would have told you about the gates being closed already.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    This is why I really like the "relocate NPCs" mod that moves them to places you might actually visit early on. I never took Alora because you don't get her until you can get to Baldur's Gate - which is awfully late in the game. Similarly, you can't pick up Kivan until the Cloakwood opens up. I understand locking you out of an area for game play reasons, but putting a possible party NPC in those areas was silly.

Technically, if you really wander a lot, you can pick up Viconia earlier in the game, but at substantial risk for a low level party.

As an aside, I never understood why the first four areas of the Cloakwood weren't already open. Lock out the mines, sure, but the rest of the forest is just, well, a forest. I have my game modded to allow access to the first four areas from the start of the game.
  • ConjurerDragonConjurerDragon Member Posts: 110
    Isewein wrote: »
    I like that some of the reasons for taking certain NPCs are rather flimsy. It lets you eliminate some of the ridiculous amount of options, which is rather necessary lest you be left agonising over whom to take along for this or that particular mission every time you visit the FAI. I find it easy to roleplay refusing Minsc, e.g., even for a good character. It is him who attacks you, after all!

On the other hand, Eldoth actually has one of the best reasons for any greedy or unscrupulous Charname - he promises a profitable scheme, after all. Coran may be appealing simply by virtue of his charms to a female Charname, as does Safana to a male one. Garrick might not be particularly useful in combat, but having your very own bard to sing your exploits is certainly pleasing to your vanity.

Having your own bard or minstrels may not be quite as pleasing to your vanity as one would imagine...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYFefppqEtE
    edited August 2020
    Discretion is the better part of valour...
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    edited August 2020
    Having your own bard or minstrels may not be quite as pleasing to your vanity as one would imagine...

"Brave, brave Sir Garrick, Sir Garrick led the way.
    Brave, brave Sir Garrick, Sir Garrick ran away!"

(Morale failure quote. Sung, of course.)
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    @ConjurerDragon This totally should be a banter with Garrick and Eldoth in the party. :D
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Maurvir wrote: »
    This is why I really like the "relocate NPCs" mod that moves them to places you might actually visit early on. I never took Alora because you don't get her until you can get to Baldur's Gate - which is awfully late in the game. Similarly, you can't pick up Kivan until the Cloakwood opens up. I understand locking you out of an area for game play reasons, but putting a possible party NPC in those areas was silly.

Technically, if you really wander a lot, you can pick up Viconia earlier in the game, but at substantial risk for a low level party.

As an aside, I never understood why the first four areas of the Cloakwood weren't already open. Lock out the mines, sure, but the rest of the forest is just, well, a forest. I have my game modded to allow access to the first four areas from the start of the game.

I think you meant Coran there, not Kivan.
  • HadarHadar Member Posts: 171
    @Balrog99
    If I recall correctly Abdel (lets call this ways the Gorion's ward for simplicity sake) has no reason to go Nashkel before talking with Khalid and Jaheira. So I find quite odd for Abdel to promise to go to Nashkel while his only goal is to find Khalid and Jaheira talk with them about all this mess. So unless Xzar and Montaron got lost on theirs way to Nashkel I don' see reason while they would go to Friendly Arm Inn if Abdel (for now) has now other intention than going to Friendly Arm Inn

As for taking Ajantis (and Viconia) early on the only reason I can think is that Bentley Mirrorshade told you that Ajantis Ilvastarr is wandering around and he may want to investigate the same things as you. While Viconia would be random encounter and you take her along the way. But the problem is that if you take Ajantis you cannot take Dorn, but with Dorn in the party you still can take Ajantis.

If I would be screenwriter of Baldur's Gate TV series I would want to that for at least some time Abdel would travel with everyone from available NPCs. So I always imagine that Duke Eltan puts Adbel in situation that he can only give him pass to Candlekeep for maximum dozen of people with good reputation (so no Drows, Half-Orcs, Cirics priests, Red mages, Shadow Druids etc.)
    Maurvir wrote: »

I think you meant Coran there, not Kivan.

Yup, you are right. Kivan is at High Hedge, which makes him pretty easy to get.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Hadar "If I recall correctly Abdel (lets call this ways the Gorion's ward for simplicity sake) has no reason to go Nashkel before talking with Khalid and Jaheira. So I find quite odd for Abdel to promise to go to Nashkel while his only goal is to find Khalid and Jaheira talk with them about all this mess."

He wants to meet with Jaheira and Khalid, maybe get some answers or protection. Thinking that they'd follow you to Nashkell isn't really a stretch, since they are friends of Gorion's. As for charname having "no intention" of going to Nashkel, this isn't really true, since charname can agree to accompany Xzar to Nashkel after a quick stop at the FAI. I don't see the issue here.
  • energisedcamelenergisedcamel Member Posts: 110
    Hadar wrote: »
    @Balrog99
    If I recall correctly Abdel (lets call this ways the Gorion's ward for simplicity sake) has no reason to go Nashkel before talking with Khalid and Jaheira. So I find quite odd for Abdel to promise to go to Nashkel while his only goal is to find Khalid and Jaheira talk with them about all this mess. So unless Xzar and Montaron got lost on theirs way to Nashkel I don' see reason while they would go to Friendly Arm Inn if Abdel (for now) has now other intention than going to Friendly Arm Inn

As for taking Ajantis (and Viconia) early on the only reason I can think is that Bentley Mirrorshade told you that Ajantis Ilvastarr is wandering around and he may want to investigate the same things as you. While Viconia would be random encounter and you take her along the way. But the problem is that if you take Ajantis you cannot take Dorn, but with Dorn in the party you still can take Ajantis.

If I would be screenwriter of Baldur's Gate TV series I would want to that for at least some time Abdel would travel with everyone from available NPCs. So I always imagine that Duke Eltan puts Adbel in situation that he can only give him pass to Candlekeep for maximum dozen of people with good reputation (so no Drows, Half-Orcs, Cirics priests, Red mages, Shadow Druids etc.)

Given that an assassin managed to infiltrate the impenetrable Candlekeep, and then more showed up on the very night they leave and kill a (supposedly) powerful mage, I think it's not too much of a stretch for a paranoid PC to think that whoever wants them dead already knows their next steps. In that case, I think you can justify the PC doing just about anything at the start of the game - heading for the wilderness so the assassins can't find them (Kivan, Safana, Shar-Teel, etc.), trying to go to BG to be a small fish in a big pond (Ajantis, Viconia, etc.) or just about anything.