Skip to content

IWD2 Newbie

I'm finally getting around to playing IWD2! I've owned it for years and never got invested enough to get through Targos, and I'm super excited to give it a try! Anything I should know going in?

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    There's a bunch of class and race reactivity. The town under attack by a demi-human army WILL notice if you are a half-orc. There's a lot of minor quest variation for your characters too. Like a Drow being able to read goblin, etc.

That said, its a game of highs and lows. The exp curve is stupid, so at higher levels, don't be surprised if certain enemy types stop giving exp. A few puzzles can be real tedious though. But MOST of the game is great, imo. Kinda like cruising down the highway and occasionally hitting a speed checkpoint.
    Iseweindockaboomski
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @dockaboomski: For vanilla IWD2, it's usually highly recommended to play spellcasters, and rogues generally aren't very necessary or useful. Sorcerers with high CHA and druids with high WIS are very fun in IWD2.

There's a bit more variety in the Enhanced Edition, plus a lot of new spells and a quick loot feature, so if you want to join the Red Chimera group and help us playtest IWD2EE, we're still welcoming new testers.
    ThacoBelldockaboomski
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    If you are coming from BG, be sure to familiarise yourself with the new multiclassing system. Cleric/Mages e.g. are far less feasible in IWD2 than they were in BG. Spells in general are great though, so be sure to have casters of different types in your party. You might want to include someone able to wield a moonblade. ;)

If you don't feel like having all your party stay silent over the course of the game, I highly recommend Domi's wonderfully written IWD2 NPC mod (also for first-timers), which features 10 highly customisable NPCs which you can tweak to your liking in terms of stats, and some of which are integrated with the story in quite ingenious ways.
    dockaboomski
    Oh right, 3e completely butchered multiclassing.
    dockaboomski
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Thanks everyone! I went with my gut on my party and I've been really enjoying it so far.
    ThacoBell
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    I tried the IWD2 Tactics mod and I really didn't like it, but now that I uninstalled it's been way more enjoyable.
  • Djasko_AmsterdamDjasko_Amsterdam Member Posts: 47
    edited August 2020
    Remember that Paladins and Monks will turn down rewards, so if you want to get paid for your heroics, use some other class to initiate dialogue with for this purpose.

As for multiclassing, it actually does allow for interesting builds. A level 1 monk into druid for example, to have monk synergy with your animalforms. Monk/thieves are nice too, tho you may want to download the fix which gives fist attacks the ability to profit from Weapon Finesse
    Meh, having 1 class at level 1 and then ignoring it isn't multiclassing.