Skip to content

cleric/thief solo question

Generally speaking, in my parties, my mage will turn my thief invisible who will then scout ahead levels disarming all the traps. Invisible has a great duration and my thief isn't doing much else anyway, so it works.

I'm not sure how I would approach this situation with a solo cleric/thief, though. You can find/disarm traps under sanctuary (though it has a very low duration), or you can cast find traps then go into stealth (though disarming traps would probably break stealth, inconvenient if there are hostiles around). There's also consumables that grant invisibility, but they are limited. Granted, with UAI and the staff of the magi the problem solves itself, but there's a lot of game before that point.

Maybe there's a more elegant way to handle it. Any tips on trap management with a solo cleric/thief? Thanks!

Comments

• MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549
    Sanctuary has a limited duration but Invisibility and Find Traps do not. Or Find Traps and Stealth, either way find the traps cast Sanctuary then disarm them. Can be done right beside them while they are picking their nose as far as I know. I don’t remember many places that have enemies and traps at the same time, first level of Watchers Keep in the library to the East is one. Stupid litch in Sendai’s Enclave is another and Sanctuary doesn’t work on him if I remember right. Ettins in the unseeing eye quest is bad, nothing like getting webbed with spooks on one side and hard hitting ettins on the other. There are others of course, a few in the fire giants lair, planer sphere has a couple, okay there may be more than I thought. Soloing is about taking your time until you know where a all the traps are, gotta take your time after unless you just love to reload but traps are not as much a problem anymore. You can play a legit game while soloing and not meta game, just a bit harder. No not harder, more time consuming. There are 2 Sandthief rings in the game and oodles of invisibility potions + Ring of Gaxx, kinda think that invisibility is not going to be a big problem once you get that though. Three mini improved hastes always come in handy though. If you decide to get the ring anyway, I don’t always.
  • whalewerewhalewere Member Posts: 14
    edited August 2020
    Is this something you're planning or are you just theorising? Playing solo will always mean sacrificing some skillset, but in the grand scheme of things I really don't see this being a problem for you. You should reach epic levels fairly early, at which point the problem goes away as you yourself point out, and until then you get more than enough potions of invisibility for one person. In any case traps are a bureaucratic annoyance at best, and I think you can even mod them out if you get tired of dealing with all the red tape.

Edit: oops, that sounded a bit hostile. I just mean that traps shouldn't be a problem for you.
  • KnellerKneller Member Posts: 438
    whalewere wrote: »
    Is this something you're planning or are you just theorising?

I'm theorizing right now, but considering this run. Traps are an annoyance, though, and I would prefer to have a plan to manage them. I wouldn't mod them out (to cheaty for me), and would prefer to save limited charge items (potions/rings of invisibility) for tough fights. I know you can sell almost drained items to merchants and buy them back fully charged, but this is also too cheaty for me.

While the character will level quickly, this doesn't make the problem go away. What makes it go away is the Staff of the Magi and UAI. This doesn't help you at all in BG1, where there are finite opportunities for invisibility (and it's kinda wasted on such a mundane task). And really, the early parts of BG2 will have the same problem.

• Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Kneller wrote: »
    [I know you can sell almost drained items to merchants and buy them back fully charged, but this is also too cheaty for me.

I have never thought of this as cheating. To me it seems like a normal business transaction. You sell something that is virtually worn out and get very little money for it; the storekeeper refurbishes it and charges you through the nose to buy it back.

I haven't soloed as a cleric/thief but is it possible to set traps while under Sanctuary? That way you could cast Sanctuary on yourself, detect traps and if you find any in sight of an enemy you could set your own trap and lure them into it before disarming their traps. Or something like that.