Skip to content

Dear Devs, Why Wasn't Baeloth an Official Companion in BGIIEE?

EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
Greetings!

I know Baeloth was an "Easter Egg" in BGIEE besides being a focus of The Black Pits, and, to me, Baeloth was the best part of the Enhanced Edition. I was disappointed when the main game of BGIIEE lacked him as a companion, though I know he's formally recruitable in SoD. What's the story for that?

(I know someone could make a Baeloth in BGIIEE mod, but a big bit of Baeloth's beauty is his boistrous voice box! He could have been a Bard!

(With EE 2.6 coming out soon, I'd love for this to be rectified, even as separate paid DLC!)

Comments

• OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    Beamdog is no longer interested in adding anything else to these games. I think the writing on the wall became clear when they announced that they wouldn't be adding the SOD NPCs (or carrying over/closing plot points) to BG2. Even if they wanted to, there are licensing issues with Wizards of the Coast. I agree that it would be really nice to see additional NPCs and other DLC - and I, too, would be more than willing to pay for it - but, the company is moving in a different direction. Apparently they are working on their own IP now. Hopefully it will be a good game.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    they had no idea how to have him be in soa? Baeloth was meant be be a cameo npc he was the wilson of bg1ee. it's a wonder he has such a big role in sod as he was meant to just be a major character for the black pits add on that i don't think alot of people played.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Endarire He's in Black Pits 2, which takes place during SoA, iirc. As great as he is, he cannot be in 2 places at once.

@OrlonKronsteen I don't think its a case of "not interested", but rather "legally barred". WoTC has forbidden all new content being produced for the EEs. They want all the focus on their fake BG3.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    He's in Black Pits 2, which takes place during SoA. As great as he is, he cannot be in 2 places at once.

True.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i have not played black pits so i had no idea when bp 2 took place.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    There's nothing too exact, but here are the basic indicators:

- BP2 takes place at an arena in Thay.
    - The finale to BP2 leads to that arena being very definitely shut down. The announcer gets killed off and the NPC fighters escape or die.
    - One of the NPC fighters is a companion from SoD, at higher levels. Therefore, BP2 takes place after SoD.
    - Neera's ToB quest visits the arena, with the announcer alive and at least some of the fighters present. Therefore, the end of BP2 takes place after at least some of ToB.
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    The real question is why Zaviak wasn't made a potential companion in Baldur's Gate II. He would have great banters with anyone, but especially Minsc, Wilson and Neera.

Just imagine Zaviak talking to Irencius in the final hell battle :D

@JuliusBorisov I know we've talked about this before, but we NEED Zaviak to become a companion.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    jmerry wrote: »
    There's nothing too exact, but here are the basic indicators:

- BP2 takes place at an arena in Thay.
    - The finale to BP2 leads to that arena being very definitely shut down. The announcer gets killed off and the NPC fighters escape or die.
    - One of the NPC fighters is a companion from SoD, at higher levels. Therefore, BP2 takes place after SoD.
    - Neera's ToB quest visits the arena, with the announcer alive and at least some of the fighters present. Therefore, the end of BP2 takes place after at least some of ToB.

And considering that Baeloth shows up in BG1 during Gorion's Ward's adventures (having been unceremoniously kicked out from his beloved arena), it stands to reason that BP1 takes place shortly prior to the events of BG1.