Skip to content

[MOD] EEex (v0.10.2-alpha)

Comments

• TheImpTheImp Member Posts: 5
    So I would use that in a spell via an effect:

LPF ~ADD_SPELL_CFEFFECT~ INT_VAR opcode = 402 target = 1 parameter1 = 3 parameter2 = 1 timing = 9 resist_dispel = 2 probability1 = 100 STR_VAR resource = B3OCLASS END

Correct ? I was thinking making Kits that use this as a feature.
    And as long as you will hopefully include that at some point in to the future versions of the EEex, the v2.6 updates just need new version of it...
    Thank you, very much.
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 998
    edited August 2020
    TheImp wrote: »
    LPF ~ADD_SPELL_CFEFFECT~ INT_VAR opcode = 402 target = 1 parameter1 = 3 parameter2 = 1 timing = 9 resist_dispel = 2 probability1 = 100 STR_VAR resource = B3OCLASS END

Mostly correct; parameter1 is the bitwise mask to the specific field - so it starts at 0x8 for "Original class: Fighter", 0x10 for "Original class: Mage", ...(etc.) and ends at 0x100 for "Original class: Ranger".
    TheImp
  • Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
    Hi @Bubb. My security software is going crazy over EEex. It says it is ransomware trying to encrypt files. I keep getting a message that Fearless (EEex) is trying to encrypt files. What is this mod doing to throw so many flags?
    Hi @Necromanx2,

EEex uses a loader written in x86asm to patch the game in memory. Specifically, it uses a technique called DLL injection which allows it to modify the game as it is starting up. While it's not inherently malicious on its own, DLL injection is one of the many ways malware can target an application - so Antiviruses sometimes flag EEex as such.

Though, I've never heard of the ransomware angle before, which strikes me as troublesome. Does your antivirus only detect this when running EEex, or also at random times? Do you see any evidence that files are actually being encrypted? Also, what antivirus are you running?

The EEex Loader is opensource on GitHub, (here), so there's little to worry about in the way of ill-intent. Virus total also shows 0/71 detections on the dll, (here), and only 2/73 detections on the exe, (here).
    edited August 2020
    I use Trend Micro as my security software. It only happens when I load BGEE with EEex.
    Here is a screen capture of the security log.
    8mi8i695rjzm.png

ii5z8n43a2i1.png
    [spoiler/]
    It might be getting confused because of the EEex wrapper on top of the normal game executable. The files it shows as changed, (BALDUR.bmp, PORTRT0.bmp, PORTRT1.bmp), are all normal game files - things that rightfully do get altered by the game as part of normal procedure. I don't think there's any reason to worry.
    Necromanx2
    Whats interesting is I allow it to block the changes and my game seems to work fine. Seems to at least.
  • TheImpTheImp Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2020
    Necromanx2 wrote: »
    Whats interesting is I allow it to block the changes and my game seems to work fine. Seems to at least.
    Yeah, the .bmp changes are inconsequential when it comes to the game working... but the alterations themselves can add functionality that is no longer shown when you block the alterations. So for example there might be interface changes you won't be able to see if you block the .bmp changes, but the controls might still be there in the background if you don't block the actual functionality change. But as you probably do, so it won't be there, and so you might not be able to choose say the 56th fighter kit you can install into the game that assumes you would be able to select it as you have the EEex...
    Necromanx2
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @Bubb
    What are all the metamagic abilities included in EEex? I saw Widen Spell somewhere in a screenshot, but the docs don't mention metamagic.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @Bubb
    Also, does EEex allow surpassing the limit of 49/50 spells per spell level per spell category (arcane/divine)? If not, I'd quite like that!

Thankee!
  • ensbanaensbana Member Posts: 80
    Bubb wrote: »
    Shin wrote: »
    Was this ever implemented by any chance?

It was, but via a stroke of genius I accidentally deleted it. I can probably do a better job on it now anyways - I'll reimplement it and release it as an EEex module.

This is now reimplemented in v0.7.2-alpha!

pvlrgpll121z.gif

To enable, change "false" to "true" on this line in EEex_INI.lua:
    ["B3_EfMen"] = false,

The default key to open the menu (on hover) is Left Shift; if you want to change this key, open B3_EfMen.lua, and alter the following line:
    B3EffectMenu_Key = EEex_GetKeyFromName("Left Shift")

"Left Shift" becoming whatever key you wish. Note that most keys are self explanatory; the ctrl key is bound like so: "Left Ctrl".

Notes on the implementation: Most spells appear correctly in the menu. However, some spells that the AI casts aren't named properly / have incorrect spell icons. In some situations these spells will be hidden, and in others they will appear, but will display the wacky internal details. Additionally, some player spells immediately cast sub-spells that have the aforementioned detail problems - the menu does the best it can without using a manually-curated list.

Hello! Thanks for this mod. I’m installing it to make use of this feature, but when I do as instructed in the game nothing happens. Any ideas what might be going on?
  • BrecherBrecher Member Posts: 47
    @ensbana
    Do u start the game via EEex.exe ?
    Brecher wrote: »
    @ensbana
    Do u start the game via EEex.exe ?

Yes. EEex doesn’t even let me start with the game’s original icon, and asks me to use EEex.exe instead.
    ensbana wrote: »

Yes. EEex doesn’t even let me start with the game’s original icon, and asks me to use EEex.exe instead.

Hmmm....and you changed the entry of your .ini in override folder to True?
    Brecher wrote: »

Hmmm....and you changed the entry of your .ini in override folder to True?

Yes. But let me try it again later today and report back. I uninstalled the mod a while ago after it didn’t seem to work.
    Any other mods might interfere with it?
    Any other mods might interfere with it?

Don't know about interference with other mods.
    It's working for me:
    81bxjop2jd3a.png
    Hello! Thanks for this mod. I’m installing it to make use of this feature, but when I do as instructed in the game nothing happens. Any ideas what might be going on?

Hi ensbana. Make sure you're using a lowercase "true", as Lua is case-sensitive. The line should look like this to enable the effect menu:
    ["B3_EfMen"] = true,

• FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    In my experience, setting that to "true" only works before installing EEex. Nothing happens if you change it after installation.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,269
    Flashburn wrote: »
    In my experience, setting that to "true" only works before installing EEex. Nothing happens if you change it after installation.

That's how IE engine works, so do mods.
    ALIEN wrote: »

You flip this setting via EEex_INI.lua. This file is special because it is a Lua file, and thus is evaluated every time the game starts. If you edit the EEex_INI.lua located in your override folder, you can enable / disable these modules at will. However, if you end up editing the EEex_INI.lua in the EEex folder, your changes are only copied over to the override file on next install.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    ALIEN wrote: »

You flip this setting via EEex_INI.lua. This file is special because it is a Lua file, and thus is evaluated every time the game starts. If you edit the EEex_INI.lua located in your override folder, you can enable / disable these modules at will. However, if you end up editing the EEex_INI.lua in the EEex folder, your changes are only copied over to the override file on next install.

That's the thing, I've tried changing EEex_INI.lua in the override folder after installing it and nothing happens if I do. It has to be done in EEex's folder before installation in order to activate a setting.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    @Flashburn
    That's the thing, I've tried changing EEex_INI.lua in the override folder after installing it and nothing happens if I do. It has to be done in EEex's folder before installation in order to activate a setting.

It sounds like you made some weird mistake, like editing EEex_INI.lua and starting the game before you saved the edits to the file.
    @Bubb When I try to start EEex.exe with the latest version the game immediately crashes.

njuzi3xwpyei.jpg

Ironically, the source of the crashes appears to be EEex_Cra.lua, one of the things you wrote to detect crashes. When I remove all code from EEex_Cra.lua, it doesn't crash.
    @Bubb Also, I remember you said you were going to figure out the patterns for my pull request. Could you do that at some point?
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited September 2020
    Galactygon wrote: »
    Imho it would make the most sense to have a .vvc flag possibly at 0x18 that hides the associating .bam while the target (if not allied) is completely invisible.

Is there any chance this feature will ship with the 2.6 update? It seems it's not present in the current beta (v2.6.0.2)...
    This is so much needed IMHO...
  • SatrhanSatrhan Member Posts: 75
    Just found this mod, the active spells display module seems to work, nice!
    Is there an overview of what the other modules do?
  • StonebearStonebear Member Posts: 9
    In current versions of BGEE, hit points on level-up appear to be rolled twice, with the higher result being taken (as described in https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/75868/lower-reaches-fireball-fails-to-destroy-6-gibberlings/p3) Would there be any way to revert that to single roll behavior? Thanks.
    Hi @Bubb ,
    What is the latest version of this mod? I have heard the link on the front page is not to the latest and anted to check.
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Member Posts: 176
    edited November 2020
    I have a report of a game crash at the end of character creation of a wild mage while using the eeex version from the start if October on your github. The crash occurs upon the character appearing in BG1 at the start of the game. It doesn't occur when Baldur.exe is used.

I will provide more details when I do some more troubleshooting.

Edit: A restart of the game and it is now working without any issues. No idea what caused the random crash upon game start, but it isn't causing anymore problems no matter how many new characters are made.
    Post edited by Caedwyr on