Skip to content

OC rogue build

SindyanSindyan Member Posts: 146
edited August 2020 in General Discussions NWN:EE
Good morning!

I’m going through the OC (never completed it ever) finally. I am playing a elven rogue with high dex. I was planning on adding at least one shadowdancer level.

In light of sneak attack immune enemy’s.
For the most fun/best in the OC would it be to level the shadowdancer (while increasing strength from base of 14 using items) or just going mostly rogue levels and only one shadowdancer. I am looking for most fun experience. More levels in shadowdancer brings a pet and more tanking ability. More rogue levels five more sneak attacks.

Thank you!!

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    @Sindyan Your discussion was caught in our automated spam filter. I have restored it and verified you so that this should not happen again.

Good luck with your run. Every time I try to use a rogue in NWN I typically give up because they suck too much. I was never able to make them work for me. Kinda too bad they are so underpowered in NWN...
    jackjack
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited September 2020
    I’m playing as Fighter (6) Rogue (4) Shadowdancer (1) right now. My play style is a bit different though. I consoled my character to have better ability scores and use modules to have slightly better but personalized equipment. This is mainly for roleplaying. I imagine my character as someone like a DnD Batman of sorts, with a background of minor nobility and Jon Snow as character head lol. I’m playing Darkness over Daggerford right now with L8 as the starting level so I left his history to my imagination.

I’m no expert and I don’t think this is optimal, but this build would suffice. Decent HP pool (btw you can maximize your HP gain per level by editing the ini settings; personally, I don’t like things to be too random), Good BAB (and will have 4 APR at level 20), good AC; can fight like a typical rogue with his sneak attacks and can fight in the frontlines as a fighter (that can again sneak attack thru proper positioning or after a successful knockdown), skills are covered well (I consoled the INT though as “Batman” has to be a genius). Whirlwind attack is not optimal I think, but my Batman-inspired character looks cool with it. And finally, he can hide in plain sight! He’s wearing black armor and cape to boot (and hid his helmet thru character customization override mod). NWN is actually easy; personally, my definition of “fun experience” is more on roleplaying, usually by thematic builds.

Edit: I forgot to mention. My next levels would be Rogue until I reach epic levels (and get the Epic Dodge feat). I’ll think about the epic build more once I get there, but my main goal is to get the Epic Dodge, as it is thematic and well, it is a really good feat. So if I’m not mistaken, I have to have 13 rogue levels so that I can get the improved evasion and defensive roll at levels 10 and 13 respectively, both being prerequisites of Epic Dodge. That means R(13), SD(1), F(6) at level 20. By the way, I have 6 fighter levels to get more feats (as you get additional feat at that level). Check the class progression somewhere to plan on your build. Just in case you don’t know, you can also save up the skill points to be distributed at later levels.

To be honest, I’m not a fan of SD beyond level 1. The other feats SD will get, rogue can also get. Shadow evade is very limited. Shadow summon is good I guess especially the Shadowlord, but that’s it. I’d still rather have my sneak attacks over them. I don’t like the idea of having a pet who could very well be stronger than me in frontlines lol.
    Post edited by Illustair on
  • JimbobslimbobJimbobslimbob Member Posts: 206
    There are a bunch of good Strength-based Rogue builds here: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/NWN-Players/discussions/1/135507780428424206/
    I am sure you can use those as a guide for the kind of thing you are after.

Have fun!
    jackjack
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    edited September 2020
    I've actually been exploring some Fighter/Blackguard/Shadow Dancer builds, with points saved for stealth skills at levels I take Shadow Dancer. The focus is primarily on the Blackguard levels (for sneak attack) and Fighter levels (for bonus feats).These are dex based builds, but could probably work as strength based with some modification.

You end up paying a premium in skill points early on to meet the skill requirements in Hide and Move Silently for Shadow Dancer, but you end up with a high AB (can even be max ab if you put off Shadow Dancer until 21 in a high level setting like HotU), high saves, lots of feats, sneak attack damage, evasion and uncanny dodge (so you don't lose your dex AC).
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Good choice. Rogues are always fun. Lots and lots of options in playstyle.

I would recommend Use Magic Device or Set Trap as skill sets. Or both!