Skip to content

[Infinite Dungeons] Some item properties are incorrectly generated together on the same item

Ian579Ian579 Member Posts: 241
edited September 2020 in Technical Support
I found a Ring of Immunity. But its Special Properties are:

Immunity: Mind-Affecting Spells
Improved Saving Throw: Mind Affecting +3

Properties like those should not be generated together on the same item. In the case above, the second property is redundant and should have been something else.

Comments

• WilliamDracoWilliamDraco Member Posts: 175
    edited September 2020
    This is not technically redundant. It is theoretically possible to create a circumstance where a mind-affecting saving throw would be rolled and the effects not be stopped by the immunity.

I don't know off-hand whether any such circumstance still exists in the base game for mind-affecting, but they once did and it is possible.
  • Ian579Ian579 Member Posts: 241
    edited September 2020
    This is not technically redundant. It is theoretically possible to create a circumstance where a mind-affecting saving throw would be rolled and the effects not be stopped by the immunity.

I don't know off-hand whether any such circumstance still exists in the base game for mind-affecting, but they once did and it is possible.

I'm not sure about how it works from the coding perspective, but doesn't "Immunity: Mind-Affecting Spells" already blocks all mind-affecting spells so there is no need to make any saving throw?
  • WilliamDracoWilliamDraco Member Posts: 175
    edited September 2020
    Immunity to Mind-Affecting Spells blocks all Mind-Affecting effects.

A simplified breakdown for how the game tests the code might look something like:

1) Roll a Saving Throw against Mind-Affecting Spells ('Immune' automatically makes this save fail, read on to see why)
    2a) if 1 Succeeded, end here - no further message or feedback.
    2b) if 1 Failed, Apply a Daze to the target.
    3) Daze is a mind-affect effect, and therefore this fails and the "Target is immune" message appears - Getting this message is why 'immune' auto-fails the saving throw (To ensure it gets to this step)

However, it is possible for 1) to roll against Mind-Affecting Spells, Auto-fail due to being immune, but then for 2b) to apply a not-mind-affecting effect, like a poison or something. Since we aren't immune to poisons, this would go through just fine.

Most (all?) of the standard spells which would have been affected by this were fixed long again, but it remains technically possible.

(The same is also possible in reverse. Roll against Poison but get hit with a Daze effect. In that case though, mind-affecting immunity would apply just fine to prevent the Daze)
    @WilliamDraco Thanks. I think we need to know how exactly the code works first.
    edited October 2020
    I just found a heavy flail on a defeated enemy. But one of the special properties of that weapon is "Bonus Feat: Shield Proficiency". Heavy fails are two-handed weapons so that bonus feat makes no sense in this case.

But strangely, I tested letting one of my temporary companions, who is a giant, equip the heavy flail, and then he was able to equip a shield.
    edited October 2020
    Also:

A medium armor which has this special property:
    Bonus Feat: Armor Proficiency (light)

A bracer which has these special properties:
    Bonus Spell Slot: Sorcerer Level 2
    Skill Bonus: Perform +20

A pair of boots which has this special property:
    Bonus Spell Slot: Bard Level 7

Post edited by Ian579 on