Skip to content

BG II was too steam punk for me :/

BG I was just right, the right settings, the right art style, but BG II really ruined my impression and my love for the BG series that I had waited so long for. It took me a while to get used to it, but never grew on me and like 5 years before getting numb to the art style and complete the game.

If BG III ever will come, I beg the devs not to have any steam punk theme to the art style.

Comments

• sirthaddaeussirthaddaeus Member Posts: 41
    I agree. I was just thinking about this when watching a recent lets play on youtube. Always felt BG2 was a little more sci-fi like element to it. BG1 appealed to me for its more medieval style, etc.

BG2 had a lot of things that were great tho, but the art style wasnt one i enjoyed.
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    Kilivitz said:

First, the designer responsible for the appearance of most items in BG1 passed away shortly after the game was released.

Secondly, the 3rd edition of D&D was released between the two games. This new edition brought a lot of changes to the aesthetics of the game. It made it a lot like BG2 (spiked shields, the "steam-punk" influences, etc.).

Most knowledgeable indeed!

It would be good if DnD had stayed with the same settings and made a new "realm" for the steampunk genre, like Alquadim, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, etc are all seperate genres.

[goes in angry mob mode] THE MUST BE LIMITS TO WHAT RESPECTABLE FORGOTTEN REALMS PLAYERS MUST STOMACH!!!!
    .../waves pitchfork and torch

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited October 2012
    HexHammer said:

It would be good if DnD had stayed with the same settings and made a new "realm" for the steampunk genre, like Alquadim, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, etc are all seperate genres.

Actually, they did release a steampunk setting! It's called Eberron. But that didn't prevent them from changing the look of the core rulebooks. Their goal was to make D&D more of it's own thing and less "Tolkienesque" by default. Too bad the end result looked horrible.

Yeah, I hated 3rd edition.

edited October 2012

There are no pleasing some people.

BG2 is a vastly prettier game to BG1. I legitimately cannot fathom why anyone would claim otherwise.

The only places that gave off a machine-made vibe to me were the insides of the Planar Sphere and the Temple of Talos. Perhaps the outside of the circus area, as well. The city of Athkatla is a place of magic and wonder, and was in the AD&D books. All the mysterious crazy stuff you find in the city reflects that well. In terms of "art direction," I honestly don't feel like there was a significant difference between BG1 and BG2 anyway.

Anyone going to the extremes of "steampunk" is crazy talk to me. There's nothing in the game remotely resembling Industrial Revolution era America/England. NOTHING.

The paper dolls in BG1 were just old-looking even at release, and the in game walking animation was stilted, slow, and awkward due to the general lack of frames of animation. (There are, what? 3 frames of animation? in swinging a weapon. It just looks weird.) It's jarring to see the fluid new sprites of BG2 when they are juxtaposed next to BG1's art, whether it be the few things that made it into BG2 (like civilians and skeletons) or running BGtutu. Maybe some of the helmets and shields were a little wacky. I dunno. Again, never struck me as much of an issue.

That's strange, you start of in an area that in some ways resembles Alien 3, with large test tanks with experiments, weird machines and you even have to find a power cell to speak to one of the test subjects.

Talking about animations and paper dolls are besides the point, and doesn't relate to the topic at hand at all.

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited October 2012
    @sandmanCCL Whoa, wait a second there! I can't speak for everyone else in this thread, but me, I never said that BG1 looked perfect or that BG2 had no improvements upon the first game.

With that said, it's obvious that the art style was more in line with 3rd edition D&D, not in the scenery (I agree with you, Athkatla looks amazing) but in everything else. Suddenly armors and shields had to come with spikes or weird shapes, for example. Also, the GUI went from the stony look to something resembling the D&D books. Seriously, look at the game, then at the cover of the Player's Handbook.
  • FigrutFigrut Member Posts: 109
    @HexHammer I am straining to wrap my head around the steam punk art thing. Are flesh golems steam punk? The power cell, sure... but that is more about content than art style. I guess steam punk can be stretched pretty broad, so it COULD look like anything. The banana I am eating is pretty artistically steam punk when I squint a bit.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Alright look, I'm not sure why the OP used the term "steam punk," but whatever the hell it is, it's ugly.

Can you give me a specific thing or area which struck you as steampunk?

The inventory looks bloody awful. Enough said. I don't understand why there are these strange cracks in every freakin' item, it looks disgusting. Also, nothing was allowed to be shiny. Everything had to be matte, even though realistically certain things would be shiny rather than matte.

The animations, while fluid, often looked less realistic. Oh, and mirrored sprites.

I dunno. I liked some of the art style changes, such as the shiny flooring of Irenicus' dungeon. But yeah.
    edited October 2012
    Even the starting area had metal grate flor with open holes, and metal guard rails, how is that not steampunk? http://bisgames.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/bg2b.jpeg

It took me about 3 years just to get out of that fugly place, I just couldn't stomach it!
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited October 2012
    @HexHammer I never realized how Steampunk BG2 is until you mentioned it. Jan Jansen's goggles and various devices and tools are a dead giveaway. So is Chateau Irenicus and Lavok's Planar Sphere. Many of the mage staffs looked pretty suspect as well.

@SandmanCCL Steampunk "fashion" isn't limited to the Industrial/Wild West/Victorian Era. It can be any kind of fantasy world where steam power is the dominant technology and where its machines seem out of place. Some of my friends jokingly refer to it as "Brown Goth."
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    edited October 2012
    Your party ends up in a dungeon of one of the most powerful humanoids in Forgotten Realms, it seems obvious you're not gonna straddle around in forests, marches and redneck towns (Beregost anyone?) In BG2 you''ve become a part of a bigger game and your enemies and the settings fits perfectly into the scene. I can't personally imagine Irenucus' dungeon being a "WIzard's Tower" of some sort, you have that kind of thing in every fantasy game. And in some games, they even make fun of this cliché (Bard's Tale). I personally find BG2 art to be the most immersive game setting I've ever experienced.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited October 2012
    This thread has me truly befuddled, I truly dislike steampunk. I remember reading a review of Thief where it had been described as steampunk and glaring daggers at the reviewer's name at the bottom of the page.

So, there are coggy bits, some steam power here and there. The game doesn't have steampunk art direction, though there are bits in it that you could call steampunk. Like I said, I dislike that style - hence my abhorrence at one of my favourite games being described that way.

It's interesting though, I had no idea so many people disliked the look of the game.
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    edited October 2012
    I agree with everyone that finds BG2 art style and sprites ugly, because they really are. That is why I only finished it once, just for the sake of knowing the story. The plate mail in the inventory will always look like a turtle's shell for me, and animations may be more detailed, but when I see a guy swinging his two handed sword like he has bones made of bubble gum, I have enough. What really amazes me is that for some people that is not ugly at all, I had many arguments about this during multiplayer games, and it boils down to the personal preference, or which one of the two games someone has played before the other.
    Post edited by Tuth on
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Animations of BG2 are actually less detailed :p

LOL bones made of bubble gum - you've said it all. Every swing is accompanied with lowering the knees to the floor :PP
  • PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    I don't give a damn. I see some things which are worse/better in both of the games. And clearly those issues are just not enough for me to whine about it. This is bullcrap, gonna play the whole saga big time anyway for a unbelievallion times more. Leeeroy Jeeeeenkiiiiiiiiiiiins!
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    A hate that they have to stretch their fucking back all the time with the new animations, and that they all seem like jelly.

On topic though: Never noticed the steampunk that much now that you mentioned it. But I can see what you mean.
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    Wherever gears and machinery turned up in the BG2 environments, their general lack of animation made the backdrops glaringly static. That's all I have to add.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    never noticed the steampunk elements, but thinking back, i can see where the OP is coming from. Also the Machine of Lum the Mad? pretty steampunk. the sprites in BG2 were ugly, Elves looked awful. Bards lost their hoods and the shields looked terrible.
  • RenulanRenulan Member Posts: 109
    Not A big steampunk fan myself, but BGII didn't bother me. The gameplay, story. and overall performance of the game was good enough for me to love and play day in and day out. If you think about it though, the game was revolving around higher level encounters, bringing in other dimensional beings and new things, even sending YOU out into those planes from time to time. It wasn't just a typical BGI medieval beginning setting.

Were there quite a few cogs moving in the background? Sure. Was it game-breaking? not at all.
  • ZinodinZinodin Member Posts: 153
    I actually didn't play through the intro of BG 2 or further because of the steam punk art-style alone. It was hideous and an instant deal-breaker.

I figured we were underground, and we would get out somehow as this was just the opening, but it was still such an awfully boring enviroment. I was completely underwhelmed, and BG 2 just failed at hooking me in. It just couldn't compete with the other games I owned at the time. I had heard good things, but I just wasn't willing to go any farther. It was boring, bland, unwelcoming, and there were other games willing to work harder to get my attention instantly, like the intro of Devil May Cry 3 ;) That one made me pumped to play the game :D

I am fully prepared to believe that BG 2 is great once you get past the intro though, and BG:EE will probably be the hook to lure me into playing it :) Though yeah, BG 3 should stay the **** away from similar art-style.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    I guess we would be more afraid if BG3 goes cyberpunk.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    I have mixed feelings on the imagery of BG1 vs. BG2.

On one hand, the graphics in BG2 were more detailed, less choppy, and personally I like the aspects of BG2 that people are calling "steampunk," including the moving machinery parts - I think they added some originality and individually to the scenes. I know many people here will strongly disagree, but I always felt there was a certain fundamental repetitiveness to the scenery in BG1.

I agree with sandman's view, that the machinery-style imagery suits Irenicus' dungeon very well - it conveys his personna as a superpowerful, creative, and sadistic mage who exists outside of normal society.

However, I did think the NPC portraits in BG1 were MUCH better (in fact, I'd say they're the best I've ever seen in any RPG), and I prefer the original paperdoll style as well, even if the graphics were inferior. As someone else said, not much that could be done about that apparently, as the original artist passed away.
  • XanthulXanthul Member Posts: 57
    edited October 2012
    Like others, I never thought BG2 was steampunk but I can see the connection, it certainly has more machinery and more of a wasted feel than BG1.

Personally, while I think the sprites and animations could use some work in both games, I think each game has the style that suits the storyline best. In BG1, things feel fresh and natural, you really feel like a kid that is out of his hometown for the first time, exploring the wilderness and marveling at the hugeness of Baldur's Gate once you get there. In BG2, you get the feeling that you don't know where you are and that the situation is grim - the city is dark and dangerous and items don't feel so fresh anymore.

That being said, if I had to choose I'd rather have BG1 art - it feels more natural to me.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited October 2012
    I disagree . Of course they are different, but I believe the change in design and atmosphere fits perfectly for a sequel. By the way, you haven't played Torment, have you?
  • EilerEiler Member Posts: 93
    edited October 2012
    (delete)