Skip to content

Halfling Wizard Slayer

I would like to try playing a halfling ws from Candlekeep until ToB. She would be a Grand Master in Darts and in Daggers. Usually, when I play Halflings, I do not go over 10/12 for strgth, for RP reasons.
Of course she would be more ranged-weapon orientated, but I wonder if later during the game, she would not suffer from the impossibility for her to increase significantly her Strength level ?
Can a character like that be interesting all over the trilogy ?
Or should I do a plain fighter ? The idea is to play a halfling dart master, but I thought that the WS option may be interesting - nevertheless I fear that in the longtime it may lose of its interest.
I play SCS Tactical mode.

Thanks for your inputs !
Aerakar

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited September 2020
    There are plenty of ways to boost strength later in the games, such as using strength belts in BG2 and ogre gauntlets in BG1 (or the mage spell if you're using a party). There are also various weapons that set strength or provide strength bonuses (such as Blackrazor). I wouldn't therefore have thought lack of strength should prevent you creating a character you like.
    RigelAerakar
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Don't overthink it. Just play what you want to play. Sure, a low-strength wizard slayer suffers from lack of heavy armor and melee damage. But you have a party to cover any weaknesses. (Also, there are a few weapons that can give you higher strength in BG2)

By the way ...
    Montaron: halfling fighter/thief, starts with 16 Str.
    Mazzy: halfling fighter, starts with 15 Str and gets an ability to buff herself to 18/xx.
    Restricting yourself to the 10-12 range doesn't really line up with how halflings are handled in the game. It's only a -1 modifier, after all.
    RigelAerakarThacoBell
  • RigelRigel Member Posts: 251
    @Grond0 Thanks alot. But WS cnnot use gauntlets nor belts ? It means that I will be able to increase strength with weapons or spells ?
    @jmerry I think that there is a problem with the strngth score for halflings. If you look at the weight, it i a bit strange that someone whose weight is 30-35 Ilbs can carry up to 150 Ilbs... But you're right, the game gives high scores to Halfling fighters. Note that ALora receives 8 I think ?
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Grond0 wrote: »
    There are plenty of ways to boost strength later in the games, such as using strength belts in BG2 and ogre gauntlets in BG1 (or the mage spell if you're using a party). There are also various weapons that set strength or provide strength bonuses (such as Blackrazor). I wouldn't therefore have thought lack of strength should prevent you creating a character you like.

There are plenty of ways, but wizard slayers can't use any magic equipment except weapons and armor.

If @rigel plans on grand mastering daggers and darts, that means this character probably won't be able to use any strength enhancing weapons through most of the trilogy, since I'm pretty sure there aren't any strength enhancing daggers or darts.

Strength Enhancing Potions also will be completely unusuable to this character.

I think they'll mostly want to rely on strength enhancing spells, but I don't know of any spells that boost the strength quite as high as most of the options end game players traditionally rely on.

Personally I think they'll probably get the job done just fine though, and finding ways to work around the weaknesses of a wizard slayer is half the fun.
    Rigel
  • RigelRigel Member Posts: 251
    Thanks @Chronicler . Perhaps I should take grand mastering in war hammers to be able to use the Crom Fayer in Tob ? I don't know why, but I have difficulty in seeing a Halfling with the crom Fayer. In fact, I just imagine dwarfs with it ...
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    You'd certainly get a lot of mileage out of hammers if you chose to go that route.

Additional thing to take note of. "Weapons and Armor" is a slightly more broad category than it sounds like. Despite "Armor" being a specific equipment slot, both boots and helmets are "armor". You can use I'm pretty sure any boot or helmet in the game.

Additionally, since they had to code each piece of equipment individually, I'm told sometimes they just forget to exclude the Wizard Slayer from a piece of equipment that it seems like they shouldn't be able to use. I don't know any specific examples of that though.
    RigelAdam_en_tium