Skip to content

Best necromancies in RPG's.

2»

Comments

• WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    It's funny but I really think Skyrim mods do it best in the modern era. Harvest bones and soul gems to make skellingtons, upgrade and improve them, etc. Gives you a reason to go sneaking around burial sites, and in that way makes you feel like a necro.
    Vallmyr
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @Vallmyr
    Actually if you're like me and addicted to mod, there was in fact a whole necromancer specialization. With that said, while origins had a bad summoning (bad shapshifting system as well) it actually had a decent necromancer set up with it's whole entropy tree and all the spells dealing with death, and spirits.
    Vallmyr
    @SorcererV1ct0r
    Also, I actually bought the gold edition "I think it was" of inquisition a couple of months back and I can full well say... I literally believe I have that games whole spell system more than you do.

Those mother effers just took old spells from the entropy try and called the "necromancer specialization"... Now I wouldn't be so mad about this if it wasn't for the effing fact they completely gutted the magic system to begin with to do this! And what from what was a decent enough if not limited system to a generic 'oh look three elements bla bla bla". And the biggest eff you to me out of all this? They somehow made necromancer both the weakest and most broken out of all of the specializations.

Rift mage? Again just took spells the was part of the old schools and called it something new, but this time they get infinite effing Mana because they apply weaken and get Mana back from attack weakened enemies... Yes that's not broken at all!

Arcane enchanter? I'm sorry don't you man arcane warrior? My least favorite specialization of the original game.... Let's just give them an infinite barrier!

Who do necromancers get? Ok first of let's give them a ability where they can fight for fifteen seconds after the die then later on give them a pet... A pet that doesn't follow you mind you...now when they die the pet dies and the pet triggers death siphone breaking them back to friggin life... -_- I mean I loved abusing this because 15 seconds of infinite Mana plus combine that with my pet and the kitty collar there is always 75% chance of me reviving but my strongest out requires me to die first.

Either way I need to go back and finish that game... It honestly got too repetitive with too little mods.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    @DragonKing yeah, Inquisition is unforgivable and totally bland in how they took all uniqueness out of the magic system, but it started in 2. I really, really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't. Origins still holds up, in my opinion.
    VallmyrÆmrys
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    any game that makes elemental magic into separate trees is a "meh" for me. I like if it's all destruction/evocation/whatever so I can avoid it entirely. Elemental magic does nothing for me. XD and I mod most games I play so I should try the necro specialization next time I play Origins.
    I hate this browser so much...it refreshed and I lost all I was typing!

@WarChiefZeke
    Dragon age 2 I hated for completely different reason, they changed so much of the original game that I thought at one point that I got played by another company. I really can't think of anything from that game that I liked with the exception of the elf blood mage and isabella were both, cute! When the anime angst elf boy appeared, I almost straight up stopped playing and not because I am a mage in everything I play.

Spoiler, any prejudice against us mages with be dealt with with a fire ball to the face!

@Vallmyr
    I did agree, having a system based on elements isnt bad at all, dawn of magic is proof of that... Note to self, got to reinstall that old game so is the magika series... Another game I need to finish, I haven't even started 2 on that one both diablo 2 and guild wars two are also proof of these as they both have fun class that are based around a elemental system. I even was writing a comic a while of ago where the magic was wrapped around the elemental system and each individual element repressed something, fire destruction, water - healing/life, earth - protection defense, air freedom, movement. While each magic in theory represented these ideas obviously the element didn't only do one thing and a skilled enough elemental isn't could composite elements together to create new and unique effects, air/earth/fire created meteors. Water/earth/air could create artificial life.

The problem lies when this wasn't the core system of the world to begin with or in dragon age origins case, was only a sub system aka primal school, of a much bigger system of magic and instead of actually investing in more defined spells for each school they tossed it all out for something that was dumbed down greatly and literally bored the ef out of me.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited September 2020
    Vallmyr wrote: »
    any game that makes elemental magic into separate trees is a "meh" for me. I like if it's all destruction/evocation/whatever so I can avoid it entirely. Elemental magic does nothing for me. XD and I mod most games I play so I should try the necro specialization next time I play Origins.

Depends. I like when it has a lore explanation. For eg, on Might & Magic VI, the fundamentals to access the plane of elemental earth, water, fire and wind are completely different.

On Gothic 3 and on Gothic 2 - RETURNING, magic is tied with religion and a "circle", on Gothic 3, you can be a Dark Magician, but Beliar will only teach his strongest spells like army of darkness IF you side with him fully. You can cast fireball or light as a dark magician BUT not meteor and other powerful fire spells since fire is the opposite element to darkness in gothic and Innos is the opposite God to Beliar.

Water is a underrepresented element on fantasy. I mean, I love Baldur's Gate 2. But why I can summon Efreets and Djins but not Marids? On ToEE, the water node is the easiest one. The fire node, you need to fight a CR 20 Balor with a lv 10 party(took about 4 hours on my first temple run) Many games who gives draconic options like Pathfinder Wrath of The righteous, give the option to follow a gold dragon path but not a silver. Baldur's Gate 3 will include a option to be a Fiend Warlock but not a Lurker of the Deep warlock... Might & Magic VI/VII and Gothic 3 are probably the unique games which amazing water magic IMO.
    DragonKing wrote: »
    ither way I need to go back and finish that game... It honestly got too repetitive with too little mods.

Like 99% of modern games. Are mostly about micromanaging artificial timers(cooldowns) and farming gear.

That is real necromancy

edited September 2020
    ither way I need to go back and finish that game... It honestly got too repetitive with too little mods.

Like 99% of modern games. Are mostly about micromanaging artificial timers(cooldowns) and farming gear.
    [/quote]

Yea that's not what makes it repetitive or bad. I can just as easily call 99% of older games boring after I beat them twice because every thing is static and wh n I know where every single thing is everytime, it's pointless to keep playing.

Now I'm not a fan of the constant grind for gear which is why I'm not the biggest fan of diablo series and a like, but some people like that stuff

Also the, "insert a set number of spells to cast is a stupid system.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    (...)I can just as easily call 99% of older games boring after I beat them twice because every thing is static and wh n I know where every single thing is everytime, it's pointless to keep playing.

Now I'm not a fan of the constant grind for gear which is why I'm not the biggest fan of diablo series and a like, but some people like that stuff

Also the, "insert a set number of spells to cast is a stupid system.

Diablo was much better when gear ENHANCED your character(d1/d2), not determined(d3). And the insert a set number of spells is not arbitrary. Spells on D&D universe are "objects", if you prepared a spell, you can cast it. Higher your level is, means that you can prepare and launch more powerful spells.

Do you know pokemon? You have 5 "casts" of fire blast and then the pokemon needs to rest. Is not complicated. Even an children's portable game does that.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    There was a game in early access called Nekro that I *LOVED* but unfortunately it never was finished and was removed from the steam store. Still have the unfinished version though since I had bought it. The soundtrack was rad too.