Skip to content

Tactics mod - BG2EE compatibility - conversion and beta test

12345679»

Comments

• EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    @gorgonzola
    You did not have to write a lecture, it was enough to answer my question in one sentence. ;)

So, If I set all four indicators to zero, I will always get the hardest possible enemies.
    Is that right?
    gorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    you are right in both the instances, 0 gives the hardest enemies form the start and i am far too prolix :D
    JuliusBorisov
  • xscott71xxscott71x Member Posts: 63
    Greeting all, love this mod, and am glad it's getting EE compatibility!
    Can anyone confirm that the versions on the first page are the most current? They're 3 years old, and I know how fast versions can turn over with this group. Thanks!
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Yes, I'm using that one.
    gorgonzola
  • JarinexJarinex Member Posts: 46
    Does anyone know how well this plays with EET? I mainly only care for the Irenicus in Hell final fight (since it seems SCS won’t be getting that back anytime soon), but I just want to make sure it plays nicely for the most part.
  • tedmann12tedmann12 Member Posts: 128
    Any up to date info on how this interacts with SCS. Really interested in running scs and installing this for the extra encounters
  • Musigny wrote: »

Latest version : alpha73 - February 21, 2016
    Please consult the readme file under the eetact2 directory
    Both the current version and the version n-1 (or older) are attached to this post, use only one of them.

Hi all, dumb question maybe, but just to be sure, is this the latest version? Also, will the anti-Paladin work in BGEE as well as BG2EE? Thanks, CT
    edited February 2020
    yes, this is the latest version afaik, maybe not completely bug free, but playable.

tactics is a bg2 only mod so i doubt that the kit will work in bg1 and sod, but maybe it does.
    or better it should work, as bg1EE supports the kits, while the original does not, but i fear that weidu will try to install it in bg2 only.
    i can not give more help as i play tactics, but i have an original game for it while i use the EE edition mostly for more relaxed vanilla runs that is what nowadays, after years seeking always the most challenging settings, i like more.

also i never played that kit as i can not force myself to play evil, i always play good or "jaheira like" neutral, and only if i need to play a druid charname or to get some familiars with mages.

make a backup of your BG1, try to install the kit and report here the result.
    this thread is about testing the mod and to know if is possible to play its kits also in previous chapters of the saga is an useful information for everyone :).

EDIT: last time @Musigny , that was in charge of porting the mod to EE, logged into the forum was april 2018 so, if some other modder is not willing to continue his work, i believe that we have to play it in that alpha form.
    as he is not logging in you can also not ask him how to use the kit in bg1 if simply installing it there does not work.
    i am far from being an expert in modding, but i suppose that for someone that knows how to use weidu it should be an easy task to port the kits, also the generic archer is really interesting, to the other games.
    it is possible that if you post a help request in the modding section someone will answer.

i can not help you more then this.
    StummvonBordwehr
    @Musigny
    as you was summoned here i want to really thank you for your work of porting to EE this awesome mod.
    i perfectly understand the reasons why you stopped developing it, testing something so complex is a frightening amount of work.
    as if i am not wrong the next update of the game will be the last one maybe it will possible to find a group of volunteers that can do the testing while, if you feel so, you can do the coding work.
    i really believe that the mod deserves it, it is a shame if the new players, that started to play in the EE age, will never meet the "russians", the acid kensai, the red badge, the lick in the docks and pontifex...

even if i use a not EE version of the game to play tactics i will gladly help to test also the EE version, after the next game update.
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr
    Damn, so as of now if I play this I dont get the acid kensai and those others mentioned?

Major bummer... making me consider reverting back to original version to play.. idk
    @tedmann12 actually is what i do when i want to play tactics mod and the other old school ones that are not available for EE.
    but i also use EE, when i feel to play vanilla or other more modern mods.
    anyway for the new players that don't own the original game this tactics mod is better then nothing, if it would had more interest by the players and the developer would had more feedback when he asked help to test it it would be great.
    @gorgonzola So what exactly is this mod lacking compared to original? Just certain scripting of fights that dont translate as well? Or are specific fights not included? Or is it bugs?
    you can read the first post of the thread and in the second spoiler are listed all the components included in the EE version, it has been updated last time in february 2016, while the thread has started roughly an year before and afaik the modder did not change anything after that.

you will find the list of all the components included in the EE version, and the acid kensai is one of them, so you can play it in EE, as well if the single component has been only ported to EE or also modified somehow, even if the list does not tell how and why some components have been modified.

to know more you have to go trough all the thread, that is the story of the feedback from the players and the work in progress form may 2015, when the mod was first released to february 2016 when the modder released the last version and decided to stop working at the project.

if you decide to download the mod and give it a try be sure to download the alpha 73 version that is the last one released. the alpha 69 is the one originally posted when the thread had been started and the modder asked an help to test it, and is left as reference i suppose.

i hope it helps you and that you will have fun playing tactics in its EE version. and if you do it please leave here your comments about it, even if for now is in stand by and no one is maintaining it feedback is useful for other future players, feedback that i can not give as i told that i play it mainly in the original version of the game.
    JuliusBorisov
    Great, thank you! I will be installing it on my current run after I finish SoD.

I remember playing tactics a LONG time ago and Mencar Pebblecrusher at all were buffed up, correct? I remember Mencar having some big active white shield thing around him. Was that part of tactics? Doesn't look like that encounter has been changed in EE? Refresh my memory for me!
    gorgonzola
    yes they are tougher, but not so much, imo the ilic's group in irenicus dungeon, the gnome in valigar's home, the lich in the docks are much more harder if you fight them at low level.
    and tor gal is crazy strong, in vanilla the d'arnise keep is one of the first quests that i do, with tactics i do it after firkraag or the umar hills with those 2 liches and 2 demons in the temple ruins.
    the trademeet quest is probably one of the easiest, you find some spirit trolls there but if you don't plan to fight faldorn and you let the fight to cernd, not having him in the party, is easily doable, even if maybe you have to reload some times because cernd does not win all the times.

if is some times that you don't play tactics you will have fun... ;)
  • GroomGroom Member Posts: 7
    Musigny wrote: »
    2) As regards the versioning, I had a couple of solid private versions of this (and another mod) beyond what you got but I stopped developping the mod as this was far too much work for me at that time. The key point is that Beamdog released a new engine and I had no courage to test it all over again. In the end I was spending 80% on tests, less than 20% on dev, and basically no play time.
    With the so called AI scripts (rather dumb indeed) from old mods on the EE engine, you had to be cautious. If you ever saw a spell going to or coming from a corner of your screen, you got my point. (or weird distance condition Etc...).

See you back on BG perhaps this summer.

Maybe, someday, someone will take up the project and implement the mod for EET.
    The BG1&BG2 will never get old, just like Diablo 2 (same goes for it's mod Median XL Sigma).

One question, will it be possible to implement a synergy between SCS, Ascension and Tactics? Where they will work wonderfully together? (maybe even mashed up to one name)
    edited April 2020
    ascension and tactics afaik are perfectly compatible.
    for the compatibility with scs in the old game many players used to play with all the 3 mods and there was not problems.
    but as in EE scs has frequent upgrades and it is very different from its not EE previous incarnation while tactics at now has no maintenance at all and never passed beyond the beta status i am not sure how a perfect compatibility can be assured.
    it would need a person that cares of the maintenance of tactics and has an eye to scs, but also that who maintains scs has a look on the compatibility with tactics, sadly i don't see it happening, not now and not in the future.
    still i am pretty certain that some players are able to play some tactics components in a scs environment, i am pretty sure that @JuliusBorisov told in some other thread that he plays the tactics last battle with irenicus in hell in his scs setting and probably most or all the encounters added by tactics are somehow compatible with scs, while i don't know about the improvement of the ai and of some kind of monsters components, i suppose that there is some overlapping.
    also the different magic system of scs can make some tactics encounters easier, like the ritual where the insect spells thrown at you by the enemy groups that you have to defeat in a limited time play an important role in the battle, but as in scs it is so easy to counter them the whole encounter would become easier.

and this is the main reason why if i know that scs is a very good mod, i have no doubt about it, i am not a big fan of it. for me a mod that improves the ai, that in the original game is way far from be perfect, and even a mod that makes the battles harder, both putting more enemies and making them more powerful, as long as they are monsters and not classes and races we can also play, is perfectly fine.
    but i don't like arbitrary changes in the spell system, i rather prefer to play against an ai that abuses of spells cast by reallyforcespell scripts, that so can not be disrupted, like so often happens in tactics, then to have some spells completely changed in their usefulness.
    and it is only my personal take about it, to every one his own taste...
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr
    Will this mod most likely not work once 2.6 is released? Do most mods need to be updated after new versions of the game come out?
  • mrgonemrgone Member Posts: 1
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    It's working. You didn't have your profile verified. I now have verified you, @mrgone -- you should be able to download files.
    gorgonzolaStummvonBordwehrBlackraven
  • morpheus562morpheus562 Member Posts: 249
    edited September 2022
    With permission from Wes, I have done my own update titled Tactics Remix to make this mod compatible with the EE's, including EET. SCS exists and is very good, so my scope for this remake is to only add back some of those new encounters introduced by Tactics. As such, this mod will be fully SCS compatible. I am currently working on getting it hosted on G3.

Not only have the encounters been updated to run on the EE's, I am working on complete AI overhauls for all of the encounters. These enemies are smarter, deadlier, and will hopefully pose an even greater challenge to the player than their oBG2 counterparts did.

The following encounters have been completed:
    • "Kuroisan", the Acid Kensai
    • The Ritual
    • Gebhard Blucher's Lich in the Docks
    • Kensai Ryu's Gnome Fighter/Illusionist in the Docks
    • Kensai Ryu's Improved Crypt King
    • "Red Badge" Poison-Based Encounter

I am going through right now and doing an AI overhaul for the Lich in the Docks, but the vanilla fight is working.

https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/35950-tactics-remix/
    Post edited by morpheus562 on
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    PSA: Please do NOT install Tactics EE from the first post of this topic on top of an EE 2.0+ version. This mod has the chance of breaking the actions/triggers list via reverting them to fixed oBG2 versions, disabling the additional functionalities Beamdog has provided.

Thank you!
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    Sounds awesome. Thank you both