Skip to content

Share your story predictions about BG3

124»

Comments

• ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    "Adrian joined the Flaming Fist as a private and quickly ascended through the mercenary company’s ranks."

... I'm trying to wrap my head around the image of a 30th level Fighter joining a mercenary company as a private. XD That's a bit like Firkraag happily accepting a position as a guard dog for an ordinary warehouse.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    You have to start somewhere
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited July 2020
    Zaxares wrote: »
    "Adrian joined the Flaming Fist as a private and quickly ascended through the mercenary company’s ranks."

... I'm trying to wrap my head around the image of a 30th level Fighter joining a mercenary company as a private. XD That's a bit like Firkraag happily accepting a position as a guard dog for an ordinary warehouse.

After saving the city twice, stop an invasion in Suldanessalar, saving the sword coast and almost become a god he seems a little overqualified for the job, indeed. It seems in BG you still need friends in high places to move up in the world despite your CV.
    Kinda like working for the government, but without dental and you do get the good job positions after the boss is killed.

Pd: I also checked the statblock and Duke Abdel Adrian is a (LoL) Lvl 4 fighter/soldier CR4 creature.
    Sooo a Lvl 30 demigod in 2e is a Lvl 4 fighter in 5e. And people said that AD&D was overpowered... (i´m joking)
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I thought of another plot point that ties in some of the discussion in this thread:

Since the companions travel together, during a camp rest, one of the characters will give in to the tadpole and turn into a mindflayer and the rest of the camp has to kill it... or not.
    deltago wrote: »
    I thought of another plot point that ties in some of the discussion in this thread:

Since the companions travel together, during a camp rest, one of the characters will give in to the tadpole and turn into a mindflayer and the rest of the camp has to kill it... or not.

That's a neat idea, although I hope such an event, if it occurs, is something that can be avoided through player actions (for instance, if you find a cure early enough, or if your influence with the companion is high enough).
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Minsc will be present, and probably more than a cameo. I'm expecting quest giver for a quest chain, and a guest star party member for specific quests/fights. In that order.
    byrne20 wrote: »
    I think Minsc will be available as a non permanent party member at some point. Like a follower for a certain quest or something along those lines. I’m sure that they have but he must be voiced by Jim Cummings. I would be interested to see what Class they give him as I think it seems like the Ranger class has changed a lot since 2nd Edition and seems more aimed at Archers and two weapon style users (even more focused than in 2nd edition). So I would be interested to see what Class he is.
    With Minsc appearing in other D&D medium such as comics, NWMMO and Idle Champions, as well as being a fan favourite, it is safe to say he is probably going to at least make a cameo appearance.
    What I personally would like: Since the Mindflayers in the opening cinematic were Spacejammers, it'd be cool to have a quest where we take Boo, the giant minature space hamster home in one of the ships, some how.

Here is a prediction about Minsc.

Now when we know the game will start in Hell, I would assume Minsc can be found in Elturel. From the latest developer panel, we know BG3 players will journey into Avernus to discover what happened to Elturel and see if they can potentially reverse the city's fate.

And you know? Minsc can very well happen to be in Elturel. https://screenrant.com/dnd-comic-minsc-boo-infernal-tides/

"With the aid of his faithful comrades, the elf sorcereress Delina, the roguish duo of Shandie and Krydle, Nerys, cleric of Kelemvor, and, of course, courageous Boo, Minsc joins an aspirant Hellrider from Elturel in a quest to save the city from certain doom."

Since we don't see Minsc as a companion after the "tutorial" Avernus content ends, Minsc either stays in Elturel while we escape it, or travels to the Sword Coast by himself later. Maybe we'll return to Avernus later in the game and then will find a way to help Minsc as well (it's rather obvious a lvl 1 character can't do much about it).

What would be quite understandable is the following part: "an amnesiac Minsc on the deck of an infernal war machine, his memory lost to the blighted River Styx in the wastelands of Hell". Maybe later in the game his memory will be restored and he'll tell the main character of BG3 the story of BG1/BG2? :wink:
    Minsc will be present, and probably more than a cameo. I'm expecting quest giver for a quest chain, and a guest star party member for specific quests/fights. In that order.
    byrne20 wrote: »
    I think Minsc will be available as a non permanent party member at some point. Like a follower for a certain quest or something along those lines. I’m sure that they have but he must be voiced by Jim Cummings. I would be interested to see what Class they give him as I think it seems like the Ranger class has changed a lot since 2nd Edition and seems more aimed at Archers and two weapon style users (even more focused than in 2nd edition). So I would be interested to see what Class he is.
    With Minsc appearing in other D&D medium such as comics, NWMMO and Idle Champions, as well as being a fan favourite, it is safe to say he is probably going to at least make a cameo appearance.
    What I personally would like: Since the Mindflayers in the opening cinematic were Spacejammers, it'd be cool to have a quest where we take Boo, the giant minature space hamster home in one of the ships, some how.

Here is a prediction about Minsc.

Now when we know the game will start in Hell, I would assume Minsc can be found in Elturel. From the latest developer panel, we know BG3 players will journey into Avernus to discover what happened to Elturel and see if they can potentially reverse the city's fate.

And you know? Minsc can very well happen to be in Elturel. https://screenrant.com/dnd-comic-minsc-boo-infernal-tides/

"With the aid of his faithful comrades, the elf sorcereress Delina, the roguish duo of Shandie and Krydle, Nerys, cleric of Kelemvor, and, of course, courageous Boo, Minsc joins an aspirant Hellrider from Elturel in a quest to save the city from certain doom."

Since we don't see Minsc as a companion after the "tutorial" Avernus content ends, Minsc either stays in Elturel while we escape it, or travels to the Sword Coast by himself later. Maybe we'll return to Avernus later in the game and then will find a way to help Minsc as well (it's rather obvious a lvl 1 character can't do much about it).

What would be quite understandable is the following part: "an amnesiac Minsc on the deck of an infernal war machine, his memory lost to the blighted River Styx in the wastelands of Hell". Maybe later in the game his memory will be restored and he'll tell the main character of BG3 the story of BG1/BG2? :wink:

If it's this, I think it'd be more in line with the Drittz cameo in BG2 if he is there with his other comrades. Which would make sense as we invite them to help smite whatever evil happens in the last act.

If we start in Hell, maybe it is the Shining Lady that helps us through the tutorial though... that'd be an amazing tie in IMO.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I really hope Larian doesn't drag BD's characters through their mud.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    I really hope Larian doesn't drag BD's characters through their mud.

Not to start another heated argument, but I don't get it. Your main criticism towards BG3 was that it won't have any (many?) ties with the original trilogy. Now, the simple notion of having BG1/BG2 characters appear even as cameos makes you criticize Larian the same way. I really wasn't to understand what's it's all about. It seems at this point no matter what Larian do or how they Improved BG3 during EA won't change your view of this game.
    @Cahir " Now, the simple notion of having BG1/BG2 characters appear even as cameos makes you criticize Larian the same way."

No no. There should absolutely be cameos from BG1-2 characters. The ones that make sense, anyway. Minsc should never have been brought back. Or Volo, but I don't know if anyone likes Volo.

I specifically don't want BEAMDOG characters brough back by Larian. Any dangling plotlines from BD should have been finished by BD. They have a certain tone and writing style that I don't trust Larian to pull off. Not to mention that BD losing the WotC deal and having their characters taken and used by someone else is insulting as heck.

I campaigned for around a year to get resolution to the soultaker plot until I was made aware that there were legal reasons Beamdog suddenly had no plans to expand on it after teasing it for so long.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @Cahir " Now, the simple notion of having BG1/BG2 characters appear even as cameos makes you criticize Larian the same way."

No no. There should absolutely be cameos from BG1-2 characters. The ones that make sense, anyway. Minsc should never have been brought back. Or Volo, but I don't know if anyone likes Volo.

I specifically don't want BEAMDOG characters brough back by Larian. Any dangling plotlines from BD should have been finished by BD. They have a certain tone and writing style that I don't trust Larian to pull off. Not to mention that BD losing the WotC deal and having their characters taken and used by someone else is insulting as heck.

I campaigned for around a year to get resolution to the soultaker plot until I was made aware that there were legal reasons Beamdog suddenly had no plans to expand on it after teasing it for so long.

Hmm, to be honest I think that having set the first part of the game in Avernus simply begs for Caelar's appearence of sort. Swen didn't properly acknowledge SoD in his interviews, and this would be a perfect way to do it. As for EE NPC's I would love to see Baeloth in more meaningful way
    The rest? Not so much, well, maybe Neera a little.

Sorry that’s how IPs work.

Yes it’d be cool if Cameron got some type of royalties everytime Minsc appeared in a video game, but he lost that right by getting paid to work for a video game within that setting the character was placed.

The same goes with any other Beamdog character that may/may not make a comeback in the universe.

I also think having a SoD character in another medium would add weight to its inclusion of the Forgotten Realms lore. It’s just a way to stick it to the haters.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited August 2020
    I concur, characters become canon when they cross over platforms or works, like Harley queen from the batman series to comics and movies, Minsc to videogames to comics and TT adventures, Chloe Sullivan from tv to comics, etc.
    Despite its flaws and haters, Beamdog added some strong characters to the FR world, it would be a pity if they do not participate in more stories.

I wonder if in BG4 the party members we don't pick return as enemies, later on, becoming Mind Flayers or having found an alternative cure on their own they come back looking for revenge against us the PC for 'abandoning' them.

Yes it’d be cool if Cameron got some type of royalties everytime Minsc appeared in a video game, but he lost that right by getting paid to work for a video game within that setting the character was placed.

The same goes with any other Beamdog character that may/may not make a comeback in the universe.

I also think having a SoD character in another medium would add weight to its inclusion of the Forgotten Realms lore. It’s just a way to stick it to the haters.

Let's let someone who actually cares about BG, or even basic D&D lore, then. Larian is just making another DOS game with a fantasy skin. I don't how things "work" or "are done" if its bad. I will disagree with it and voice my concern until its fixed. So be prepared for it not happening.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

That actually depends a lot on what the contract specified. Unless stated otherwise the contractor is assumed to have the right to his own intellectual inventions even if they were created within the context of the intellectual property of another part (Bioware and/or WotC in this occasion).
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    A rather neat prediction from Reddit user EthAndroid.

"Theory on Shadowheart and Gale: a Connected Story?\
    This theory comes from the recent community update from Larian, namely where it mentions a briefing of all of the current companions. Shadowheart's reads as follows: "A loyal cleric of Shar, Shadowheart is the sole survivor of a holy mission undertaken for the Mistress of the Night. She alone must deliver a relic of immense power while threatened by foes on all sides, and a strange, untamed magic burgeoning from within."

Shadowheart is special because in the DnD Live gameplay we see a brief cutscene where Shadowheart's hand crackles with electricity and she attempts to hide this from the party. Stating it is merely a trick of the light [nice try, waifu]. I believe this is related to why she alone survived where her party members perished. She is special in some way, I think touched by Shar in some form. And now Gale's briefing: "Gale is a Waterdhavian wizard prodigy whose love for a goddess made him attempt something no mortal should. Blighted by the forbidden magic of ancient Netheril, Gale needs to undo the corruption that is overtaking him, a corruption that threatens to destroy the lives of thousands."

I am going to assume that instead of the Netherese destruction ord that is in Gale's chest and his love for a goddess scenario as being seperate things, that they are in fact related, happened together. So he did something, or rather attempted to do something, he shouldn't have with a Netheril goddess and a Netheril placed a destruction orb inside him. I believe this goddess he is enamored with his Selûne.

This is where the two become linked. Selûne is the sister and rival of Shar. I think Gale was tracking down Shadowheart, this special disciple of Shar. For unknown reasons he wants the artifact she is carrying; maybe to cure his corruption or seek repentance with Selûne. How would we know he is tracking her? Well, here are two clues. One, he recognizes her on sight. Look at the first gameplay reveal he remarks that we keep interesting company while looking Shadowheart, he changes his tone and recognizes her as, "The lady with shadows for eyes, as deep as the dark lakes." Sounds like he was studying her specifically, looking for someone with those characteristics. Clue 2, this is a leap, but, what if the reason he was captured by the Nautiloid / Mind Flayer was because he was so close to Shadowheart, as in tracking her. A bit of a stretch, I admit, but a possibility. Additionally, Larian said one writer would be responsible for writing two companions and having them possess a deeply linked story."

This theory comes from the recent community update from Larian, namely where it mentions a briefing of all of the current companions. Shadowheart's reads as follows: "A loyal cleric of Shar, Shadowheart is the sole survivor of a holy mission undertaken for the Mistress of the Night. She alone must deliver a relic of immense power while threatened by foes on all sides, and a strange, untamed magic burgeoning from within."

Shadowheart is special because in the DnD Live gameplay we see a brief cutscene where Shadowheart's hand crackles with electricity and she attempts to hide this from the party. Stating it is merely a trick of the light [nice try, waifu]. I believe this is related to why she alone survived where her party members perished. She is special in some way, I think touched by Shar in some form. And now Gale's briefing: "Gale is a Waterdhavian wizard prodigy whose love for a goddess made him attempt something no mortal should. Blighted by the forbidden magic of ancient Netheril, Gale needs to undo the corruption that is overtaking him, a corruption that threatens to destroy the lives of thousands."

I am going to assume that instead of the Netherese destruction ord that is in Gale's chest and his love for a goddess scenario as being seperate things, that they are in fact related, happened together. So he did something, or rather attempted to do something, he shouldn't have with a Netheril goddess and a Netheril placed a destruction orb inside him. I believe this goddess he is enamored with his Selûne.

This is where the two become linked. Selûne is the sister and rival of Shar. I think Gale was tracking down Shadowheart, this special disciple of Shar. For unknown reasons he wants the artifact she is carrying; maybe to cure his corruption or seek repentance with Selûne. How would we know he is tracking her? Well, here are two clues. One, he recognizes her on sight. Look at the first gameplay reveal he remarks that we keep interesting company while looking Shadowheart, he changes his tone and recognizes her as, "The lady with shadows for eyes, as deep as the dark lakes." Sounds like he was studying her specifically, looking for someone with those characteristics. Clue 2, this is a leap, but, what if the reason he was captured by the Nautiloid / Mind Flayer was because he was so close to Shadowheart, as in tracking her. A bit of a stretch, I admit, but a possibility. Additionally, Larian said one writer would be responsible for writing two companions and having them possess a deeply linked story."

Simplify this a bit: What if Gale is the artifact, or at least whatever is in his chest and it is actually Shar he is in love with.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308

Simplify this a bit: What if Gale is the artifact, or at least whatever is in his chest and it is actually Shar he is in love with.
    All that would do is reduce the available companions for a good-aligned party down to two.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    kanisatha wrote: »

All that would do is reduce the available companions for a good-aligned party down to two.

I dont see why this would be the case. Even good aligned characters can have aspects that arent entirely good. A well written three dimensional character often should have some views that conflict with any alignment given to them.

Korgan hated slavers in BG2, despite being evil. It made him interesting.
    It's one thing for a good-aligned character to occasionally steal, for example. It's quite a different thing for a supposedly good-aligned character to be a fan of Shar. I think the problem here is that Larian seems to be lacking the ability to know what the "good" alignment truly means. They are comfortable writing characters to fit the "evil" side, but are clueless about what makes a character "good." A complete turnaround from how things have been in these kinds of games in the past.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    kanisatha wrote: »
    It's one thing for a good-aligned character to occasionally steal, for example. It's quite a different thing for a supposedly good-aligned character to be a fan of Shar. I think the problem here is that Larian seems to be lacking the ability to know what the "good" alignment truly means. They are comfortable writing characters to fit the "evil" side, but are clueless about what makes a character "good." A complete turnaround from how things have been in these kinds of games in the past.

A - this is literally all just conjecture based on fan theories.

B - A crisis of faith doesnt make a good man evil. Only a true zealot would make that argument.

I'm a good person. I would easily fit into the "good" alignment in real life. I also am profoundly interested in the Romantic (as in the writers in the 19th century) trope of Lucifer being an antihero or at least not being the villain in Genesis.

Not every adherent of a deity in a videogame needs to be the same alignment as their god. Gale could theoretically still be of Good alignment and be compelled by Shar for reasons unknown. This is becoming more and more true as WoTC relaxes alignment restrictions.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    If it doesn't involve Elminster fighting off a Balrog gandalf style I'm going to be disappointed.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    elminster wrote: »
    If it doesn't involve Elminster fighting off a Balrog gandalf style I'm going to be disappointed.

Me too. I'll be rooting for the Balrog of course... ?
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I was going to make a "how rude to say it to his face" joke but then...
    Off-Topic, but the scene from the Avowed teaser definitely has the Elminster fighting off a Balrog gandalf style vibe.
    I think you guys mean "Balor". ;) (And Elminster would whomp the Balor's ass with ease, but still!)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2020
    I don't know, that Elminster guy seems like kind of a light weight. He's got nothing on elminster anyways. :)
    @kanisatha Regarding your question at https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1146921/#Comment_1146921 -- here's my prediction.

Just like in DOS 2 (spoilers),
    companions which are not in your main party most likely will die at the end of the Act 1

My idea is that Raphael's deal or another alternate cure for the illithid problem will only affect a few party members (your main character and their 3 companions) -- and others will die because of the ceremorphosis.
    @kanisatha Regarding your question at https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1146921/#Comment_1146921 -- here's my prediction.

Just like in DOS 2 (spoilers),
    companions which are not in your main party most likely will die at the end of the Act 1

My idea is that Raphael's deal or another alternate cure for the illithid problem will only affect a few party members (your main character and their 3 companions) -- and others will die because of the ceremorphosis.
    Yeah I am of the same mind. I did not know this about D:OS2 but some others clued me in after I raised this same question on the Larian forum. I think it is very poor game design. And this issue compounds with the issue of party size (with a bigger party size, I could see playing with the same party composition throughout the game, but the smaller party size makes this that much more of a problem for me). This may well rise to the level of a dealbreaker for me (unless this also can be modded out).
    I liked that decision in DOS 2, -- I totally didn't expect that when I played and it alone highlighted the level of the danger the world was in. It was one of the most memorable moments of the game, for me.