Skip to content

Shadows of Amn is 20 years old as of today

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
Vice posted an article that people might be interested in. :)

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qj4qwd/baldurs-gate-2-didnt-just-change-rpgs-it-changed-games-themselves

Hard to believe its been 20 years.

Comments

• BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    Shadows of Amn is older than me! Just by a little.

Let's hope BG3 lives up to the name.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2020
    There is already a whole section of the forum dedicated to talking about BG3. Let's maybe stick to the topic of the thread (and if people aren't interested in that topic then let the thread die). The article doesn't even mention BG3.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Blackbɨrd wrote: »
    Shadows of Amn is older than me! Just by a little.

And it's exactly as old as me! :D

Well, maybe just a few months of difference.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    BG3 comments (except for the very first one) are moved to https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/80530/split-from-the-bg2-anniversary-thread
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    It's great to see that so many younger people enjoy the game. It confirms to me that it really is a good game, and that I'm not still playing it merely because I'm a dinosaur or because it was released during my golden gaming era.

i really hate the " you only like this due to nostalgia." argument.

i feel people that use that think people only play a game when it came out and never touched it again.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I don't know, there are games I played a lot as a kid, and couldn't see how I liked it at all re-playing it later in life.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,024
    Speaking of growing older - and for sure reading about SoA being 20 years old makes me feel older! - I once read an interesting philosophy of age and time. When one is young, say 10 years old, a year feels like an eternity as it is almost 10% of your life and those 10 years are your entire point of reference. But when you reach say 40 or 50 or 60, that same year is only about 2-3% of your life. Your point of reference changes as does your perception of the passage of time, with time seeming to speed up as you age.

Of course this theory does not seem to apply to BG:EE patch waits...
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    It's not just that a year is an increasingly shorter percentage of our lives; it's also that less and less "new" stuff happens that is novel enough to remember.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Maurvir wrote: »
    It's not just that a year is an increasingly shorter percentage of our lives; it's also that less and less "new" stuff happens that is novel enough to remember.

The solution to this is branching out into new fields of interest. There's more information created every year than a person even has time to learn. The trick is to stay curious and not stop seeking out new avenues of knowledge.