Skip to content

Medusas' petrification gaze can still petrify you even after you turn your back on them

Ian579Ian579 Member Posts: 241
edited September 2020 in Technical Support
After you turn your back on them, Medusas' petrification gaze should not work on you. But it still works on you incorrectly under that situation.

Edit: I'm referring to the Medusas in the Infinite Dungeons premium module, which I'm currently doing.
Post edited by Ian579 on

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Medusas are only found in mods, so this would be an issue better put to a forum for the relevant mod you're using.
  • Ian579Ian579 Member Posts: 241
    edited September 2020
    Grond0 wrote: »
    Medusas are only found in mods, so this would be an issue better put to a forum for the relevant mod you're using.

They appear in the following content, too:
    • Shadows of Undrentide expansion pack
    • Infinite Dungeons premium module
    Post edited by Ian579 on
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Apologies - I thought this was in the BG section rather than NWN ;).
  • QuilistanQuilistan Member Posts: 177
    In NWN the gaze attacks are all Conical Area of Effect spells, they don't detect if you character is facing the creature using the effect.
    Quilistan wrote: »
    In NWN the gaze attacks are all Conical Area of Effect spells, they don't detect if you character is facing the creature using the effect.

Then that's an issue that needs to be fixed.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,268
    edited September 2020
    The rule in NWN is that gaze attacks don't depend on the orientation of the target.

Arguably, that's not wrong, just what the rule happens to be.

In Greek mythology, the monsters are called gorgons, of whom one is named Medusa, but in D&D, they're all called medusas, so that's the rule in NWN, too. The gorgons didn't have gaze attacks in mythology, either - the victim had to look at them to be petrified - but in NWN they do, so that's the rule.
    IseweinricoyungTresset
    edited September 2020
    Proleric wrote: »
    The rule in NWN is that gaze attacks don't depend on the orientation of the target.

Could you please cite a reliable source for that statement?
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,268
    edited September 2020
    https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Petrification_gaze

and similar pages for gaze attacks all state that all enemies within the cone are affected, i.e. orientation isn't a factor.

You can also trawl through the spell scripts, which are the de facto rules.
    Tresset
    edited September 2020

and similar pages for gaze attacks all state that all enemies within the cone are affected, i.e. orientation isn't a factor.

I don't think those information can be considered "rule". Therefore, I still hold that the said issue needs to be fixed.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    By strict definition of the PnP rules of gaze attacks, yes, one needs to actually meet the gaze of the creature in order to be affected. Other creatures with gaze attacks like Umber Hulks also work in a similar fashion; it's a cone-shaped attack that everybody within the area has to make a save against, rather than anybody who even LOOKS at the creature has to make a save each round. I'm guessing this was simply too hard to implement when Bioware was making NWN and so it was one of the rules that had to be left on the cutting room floor. (Like, how come small creatures can't stand inside the space of larger creatures? PnP rules allow you to do that, but the game engine can't accommodate that. Or why doesn't NWN have grappling?)
    sarevok57
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Ian579 wrote: »

I don't think those information can be considered "rule". Therefore, I still hold that the said issue needs to be fixed.

Yes it can, for that is the Rule within the game and how gaze attacks work.

edited September 2020
    Ian579 wrote: »

Yes it can, for that is the Rule within the game and how gaze attacks work.

You're free to regard any irrationality or bug caused by the scripts as a "rule". I won't try to convince you to think otherwise.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Good. So there is no issue, as it is not a bug.
    ricoyungTresset
    edited October 2020
    Good. So there is no issue, as it is not a bug.

Just because it isn't a bug does not mean it isn't an issue.

Be respectful. You probably are not affected by the issue or don't care. But others might care as their gameplay experience are affected.
    Post edited by Ian579 on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Our rule towards NWN is that over the years a lot of approaches regarding its features have been developed by the community. The game has been there for a long time.

We can't change one feature based on the feedback of only one player because that might lead to many disapprovals from other players and content creators. This is why dialogue is very important. Only if something is being approved by the majority of players, then it can become a subject of a change.

This thread shows there are, at least, 2 approaches towards petrification gaze after you turn your back on the enemy. Which makes it very difficult to make a decision to change the current behaviour.
    DerpCityIan579
    Our rule towards NWN is that over the years a lot of approaches regarding its features have been developed by the community. The game has been there for a long time.

We can't change one feature based on the feedback of only one player because that might lead to many disapprovals from other players and content creators. This is why dialogue is very important. Only if something is being approved by the majority of players, then it can become a subject of a change.

This thread shows there are, at least, 2 approaches towards petrification gaze after you turn your back on the enemy. Which makes it very difficult to make a decision to change the current behaviour.

That's understandable. Thank you.
    JuliusBorisov