Skip to content

Is this the best wild surge ever?

There was this one time, when the incongruously-named ORCTEST was wandering around the Fishing Village, looking for Ankhegs to test the mechanics of creature spawns, with companions chosen entirely for convenience, and the AI happened to be set to auto-cast spells... and something very beautiful happened. Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you: the best wild surge ever!

wnpck8m4nzbu.jpg

(If you think that this was in fact not the best wild surge ever - or if you're not much into ranking wild surges, but have seen a good one in your time - it's only fair to share it with the forum. Pics preferred, but not required!)
  1. Is this the best wild surge ever?9 votes
    1. DEFINITELY the best wild surge ever!
      55.56%
    2. Nope! There was this one time, I had/heard about a better wild surge, which went like this…
      44.44%
tl1942JuliusBorisov

Comments

• The_Baffled_KingThe_Baffled_King Member Posts: 147
    @Pokota -
    Pokota wrote: »
    Ooh neat, how'd you get the attack roll breakdown?

I think the attack roll breakdown is from a mod. Try clicking Options>Gameplay>Feedback and then looking under the heading 'Feedback Messages' (on the right). If you see an option 'Show extra combat info', then that's what you're looking for. If you can't see the option, then I got it from this mod:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/64524/mod-reveal-hidden-gameplay-options-for-all-ee-games-patched-to-v2-0-or-higher/p1

It's an awesome mod that adds buttons to the user interface to enable options that are present in the game file, but which Beamdog haven't made available to the end-user. One option that I'm a huge fan of is called 'Show Area of Effect Range'; it lets the player see the area a Fireball (or whatever) will cover as you're casting the spell. I get caught on the very edge of my own Webs and Fireballs a little too often without it!
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Area of Effect range is in the baldur.lua option set, at the very least. Still, that'll be a handy mod to have.
    Also, I've still got "best worst wild surge" - One-off No-Reload game where my wild mage used Nahal's Reckless Dweomer for everything. Tried to cast armor in Prologue Candlekeep and got a Pit Fiend instead. Since it was Prologue Candlekeep, Gorion finished Sarevok's job.

Haha! That's a pretty good one, I'll give you that. You probably landed Gorion with the world's biggest I-told-you-so from Ulraunt...
    Grond0 wrote: »
    By 'best' it looks like you mean most disastrous ;). My solo, no-reload, wild mage was going well, deep into ToB and taking on Abazigal, when he tried to summon a planetar and a wild surge imprisoned himself instead ...

Best = most hilariously disastrous, with bonus points if it has storyline relevance! As far as your best wild surge is concerned, I don't know what I should find more surprising: that a solo no-reload Wild Mage got that far, or that anyone is masochistic enough to play that way in the first place! It's a 'good' wild surge, though, I will certainly give you that : )
    Grond0FenrirWolfganger
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    That's hilariously funny! Especially as it crushed Edwin who Neera doesn't like! Personally I have heard of a Wild Surge accidentally summoning a Demon, in the middle of a place where commoners and bystanders were around! That for me is the best wild surge but I will give yours a close second.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    @Pokota -
    Ooh neat, how'd you get the attack roll breakdown?

I think the attack roll breakdown is from a mod. Try clicking Options>Gameplay>Feedback and then looking under the heading 'Feedback Messages' (on the right). If you see an option 'Show extra combat info', then that's what you're looking for. If you can't see the option, then I got it from this mod:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/64524/mod-reveal-hidden-gameplay-options-for-all-ee-games-patched-to-v2-0-or-higher/p1

It's an awesome mod that adds buttons to the user interface to enable options that are present in the game file, but which Beamdog haven't made available to the end-user.

You can get that information without a mod (that just makes it more conveniently accessible). In the LUA file find the line
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Extra Combat Info','0')
    and set the parameter to 1.
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    Tressettbone1
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    For a different take, here's a remarkably appropriate wild surge:
    9aq12ynz9kmk.jpg
    See? You don't need to mod for it specifically to have demons gate in reinforcements.

(Granted, this demon only appeared in that room because of a mod - SCS makes it so that fiends can spawn in already cleared areas of the teleport maze. Also, that Fire Storm wouldn't have done anything to my party if it were cast successfully; they're all immune to fire.)
    Grond0JuliusBorisovAerakar
    edited April 2021
    Hah! I forgot about this. @jmerry , I love thematically appropriate wild surges - they give the impression that the NPC is secretly trolling the PC (or player) about their "accidents". I don't think that cow landing on Edwin was really a mistake!

And @Tresset 's wild surge made me laugh as well. On the plus side, Neera will surely get free room and board at the Copper Coronet for life. On the minus side, the evening meal will surely be rabbit stew every single night...
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    I saw a screenshot of a wild surge once that had:

1) roll more times
    2) AoE
    3) No saving throw

which was pretty wild. Can't recall the exact spell though, but imagine that combination on something like Disintegrate...
    Grond0
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I have had area effect on stoneskin before.

Wild mages are most fun with dweomer and no shield spells.
  • FenrirWolfgangerFenrirWolfganger Member Posts: 31
    edited April 2021
    Yes there can be more Dramatic Wild Surges. But a flying Cow is a sight that stays with you.

P. S. Glad to break the tie.
    The_Baffled_King