Skip to content

Mod idea: how to wear gauntlets AND bracers at the same time (BG2EE)

Simple idea:
Seperating gauntlets from bracers to be able to wear both types of equipment at the same time.

First thought about solution, but unrealistic (?):
I need a extra slot. But i have no experience how to do so and even if its possible, which i doubt, it will be difficult.
I like modding, but only simple stuff. So lets skip that.

Simple easy solution idea:
I could just change all gauntlets into rings category via Near Infinity (the only program i use),
so i can use bracers along with gauntlets (now considered rings) with only sacrificing one ring slot if i insist to do so, which would be fair enough. Furthermore i could exclude them like the magic equipment restriction from rings and armor.

The only question which i am concerned about is whether or not it will inflict any crash or misfunction if enemy npcs would use such gauntlets if they are then considered rings.

Thanks for reading and thinking.

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Maybe you could make bracers into 'boots' like Drizzt does in his books (I heard he wears bracers of sword fighting or something on his legs to improve his footwork during fights). After all, other than the boots of speed, there aren't too many spectacular boots in the game.

Anyway if you did decide to change them, there shouldn't be any problems with the game. Many NPCs have equipment equipped to odd slots in the game. Going back to Drizzt again (because, by coincidence, it is the first example that comes to mind); before the Beamdog improved him for the enhanced editions, he used to have his swords equipped in his amulet and glove slots in BG1.
  • MerowechMerowech Member Posts: 3
    Wonderful. Thanks alot for this quick insight. Although i have now around 50 hours of modding, i never gave a look at those npc slots. I am only doing some minor stuff like buffing weak items. But i always dreamt allowing bracers and gauntlets together. And that ring category slot idea and now your respond gives me certainty about modding it. If something is going wrong, it will be no problem to fix it, its only a dozen of entries anyway.
    I am not new to the game or modding at all, but to mod this game with NI.
    Thanks again. This forum seems helpful and active. That was my first post here.
  • MerowechMerowech Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2020
    Tresset wrote: »
    After all, other than the boots of speed, there aren't too many spectacular boots in the game.

Thats why i modded boots, all of them.
    They now give all some speed bonus and at least 1 AC. But only 1-3 increment movement, not ending up at 18 speed (9 afaik is base) like they now do (+200%).
    Boots of speed are plenty, even if a little bit late. Other unique boots deserved buffs. I even made Dragonscale boots. Heavy boots give +1 move, light ones +3, rest inbetween. So every boot is good. No harm to your naked feet, and you can now look straight upward again.

I should never have started to mod this game :p
    Its just so much fun to be creative, even if its some pixels.

Post edited by Merowech on
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    It strikes me that it would be easier to just create an armourer npc who can ‘upgrade’ certain combinations of gauntlets and bracers by combining them into one item. So you’d be able to make Gauntlets of Dexterity AC4 for example. Doing all the combinations would be wearisome so you might want to limit them and give the player a menu of the potential options.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,352
    Hi @Merowech

I can’t help with the modding parts. But you can take a look at this approach:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/65624/mod-congenios-pebble-collection-use-multiple-ioun-stones
    It works really imho.