Skip to content

Questions about game mods?

I am not sure if this is an appropriate thing to bring up, but a good friend of mine turned me on to a site where I can download mods for Neverwinter Nights - not mods as in adventures for my characters, but rather files I can download that will alter Neverwinter Nights. For example, there is a "mod" that speeds up the time it takes to rest in game, and another that alter's the lighting in game to change the ambiance. But the site with these "mods" has the game listed as "Neverwinter Nights", not "Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition". Will these files work on NWN:EE? If this sort of thing is not acceptable in this forum, I really do apologize.

Comments

• WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    No worries, it's acceptable.

I haven't heard of those mods in particular, and it is very much a case-by-case basis, so it is hard to say. I use quite a few older mods that are compatible with the EE's though, so it's worth a shot as long as you remember what files to remove should it not work.
  • NeveroddoreveNNeveroddoreveN Member Posts: 173
    Sounds great! Thanks so much, WarChiefZeke!!!
    I am trying to remember where I put my NWN:EE game folder - I tried sifting through folders via typing "My PC" in my Windows 10 search engine. I feel dumb posting this, but if anyone can help, I would be very appreciative.
  • QuilistanQuilistan Member Posts: 177
    Check your "Documents" Folder for it.

also was the site you meantioned : https://neverwintervault.org/ ?

Lots of great stuff there, if you get into building (this game has been modded for nearly 2 decades now)
    I checked my documents folder on one of my hard drives - it hold NWN, but that was from GOG. I have put my NWN:EE from Beamdog somewhere else. I am still looking. Oh, and the site I mentioned is: https://www.nexusmods.com
    I don't know where Beamdog puts the directories, I got it on Steam. Maybe someone else can shed more light on that. Program Files is usually a good place to look, that's a common location.

If you need help getting mods installed, let us know and we'll try to help. And yeah, NWNVault is where all the good stuff is, but the site itself needs a far better search function.

Would it be possible to re-download NWN:EE? I had actually sidelined my saved characters but would like to get back into it. I have looked through my drives, directories, and folders - I don't see my NWN:EE folder anywhere. I bought NWN:EE quite a while ago, I would assume that the receipt is long gone. I had downloaded not only NWN:EE but a bunch of DLC for the game as well. I am not sure what to do now.
    Where did you buy it from? Just about anywhere will allow you to redownload it so that shouldn't be a problem
    I bought NWN:EE from this website - www.beamdog.com
    Also, how should I handle the BG/IWD/PT Enhanced Editions? I bought them on GOG, would it be necessary to repurchase them on this website? I know that might be a dumb question and a waste of money, but I felt I should ask anyway.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    If you have our games bought from one of the stores, you don't need to do that again. ;)

GOG/Steam/Beamdog - it shouldn't matter in terms of NWN folder in Documents, where you put your mod files into.
    Ahh ok, got it! Thanks so much, JuliusBorisov! I can't find my NWN:EE folder anywhere on my computer - I did searches and also sifted through a ton of folders on both drives. I know I will lose my characters if I do this, but would it be possible to re-download NWN:EE and the adventure mods I bought via this Beamdog website?
    i found my Beamdog Library, but all that is in there are 5 or 6 folders of six digit numbers? And each folder holds a downloaded mod from this website. I don't see anything else there. Any suggestions are welcome.
    To be clear, there still isn't any folder in Documents labeled Neverwinter nights?

There is most/all of my D&D games in Documents - Enhanced Editions - but with Neverwinter Nights, that is what the NWN folder is for. But that is not the Enhanced Edition.
  • WilliamDracoWilliamDraco Member Posts: 175
    documents/neverwinter nights IS the Enhanced Edition folder. The non-EE versions of NWN did not touch the documents directory (it put everything into the install path directly).

You never need to touch the install directory of NWN-EE to change any setting, or activate any override files (which you are referring to as "Mods"). Forget trying to find it, it's not relevant. Use the folder in Documents.
    WarChiefZekemegamike15
    Inside of the documents folder, everything should be simple in terms of mod installation. .haks go in the hak folder, .mod goes in modules, etc. Etc.
    megamike15
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,269
    edited October 2020
    See guide.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    neverwinter nights original did not put the documents folder in the documents section. you placed your files in the install directory. beam dog changed it to be more like neverwinter nights 2.
    Thanks so much, everyone! I appreciate your help and advice!!
    WarChiefZeke