Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• @CharlestonianTemplar I'm just wondering if your Blackguard of Talos is any different to the standard Blackguard (ie is it a kit from a mod?)

Actually, I built him originally in BG1 as a Cleric (Stormcaller of Talos). Thus he received Shocking Grasp at Level 1, and I EEKeepered him Call Lightning at Level 4, Lightning Bolt at Level 8, and he will get Earthquake at Level 17. All of these one level higher than a Cleric would get them and unlike the Cleric I won't give him additional Lightning Bolts. This gave him a distict 'Talos' flavor.

After that, I went into EEKeeper and made him a Black Guard based on the kit in Sword and Fist.

To me it makes sense that a Paladin who is a holy warrior, for good or ill, would have some unique abilities from his patron deity. Otherwise, he is just a Black Guard.

He's a real jerk too. :neutral:
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,852
    edited October 2020
    Unintended post.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    edited October 2020
    Journal of Arabelle the Axe

We reached the Coast Way Crossing and visited the Coast Way forest where we killed a vampire and were suitably rewarded. After killing a collector of statues, we returned some items to a distraught refugee.

We have activated several menhirs and begun to investiate a cave. Sadly two party members were killed when we ran into some umber hulks.

[Strangely they appear resistant to Cloudkill. They along with Aec Letec and many other monsters used to be Instakilled by Cloudkill. Has Cloudkill been nerfed or have the monsters been changed to be resistant to it?]

Raising the departed NPCs has drained our gold resources. :( Let's hope that we can finish this area without any further fatalities!
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    edited October 2020
    I can't speak to SoD, but standard BG2EE Umber Hulks have 6 HD. At that level, Cloudkill kills instantly on a failed save vs death at -4: a 70% chance per round.

Aec'Letec has been given both a reasonable number of hit dice (10) in the EE so he's too strong for the instant death, and poison immunity from being a demon so he's immune to all of Cloudkill's effects.
    (Added in edit 2)
    This immunity bonus was introduced in version 2.5. Before that, most of the monster rings that grant immunity to poison also granted Slay immunity, so you couldn't go around killing skeletons and zombies with Cloudkill. The exception? RINGDEMN, which fiends get. Aec'Letec was only protected from Cloudkill instant death in vanilla BGEE up to 2.3 by his HD count.
    Post edited by jmerry on
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,313
    edited October 2020
    Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 210, Core rules + unmodded (update 3)
    Scenic (female elf sorcerer, Grond0); Drudge (female half-elf druid, Gate70)
    Previous updates
    The session was cut short a bit by a computer crash, but we still completed most of the encounters in the City. That started by going down invisibly into the sewers to find a rogue ogre mage. He failed to identify where skull traps were coming from in time to save his life. Some of the carrion crawlers did crawl to the attack, but met grisly fates at the hands of a poison wielding druid.
    vcv1c26dz7ou.jpg

A review of equipment at that stage showed that we were short on bracers of weapon expertise and a cross-check of map locations confirmed we'd not yet been to Firewine Bridge. Faster than you can say "Firewine Bridge" we were there and merrily casting blinds at Meilum. He resisted quite a few of those, but after Drudge doomed him he eventually succumbed.
    xfdabw89qvxn.jpg

Back in the City we went to find Lothander in search of another matching pair - this time of boots of speed. Jalantha was blinded and shot down before searching out Lothander in a local inn.
    faep867pjbib.jpg
    Scenic did have a grease scroll in her case, but chose not to use that and just try blocking Lothander in with summons instead. That's not always easy in MP. On my screen there was a perceptible gap that Lothander did indeed escape through, but on Gate70s screen Drudge was already as close to the pillar as she could be.
    upnxc38ojdi2.jpg

On the way to find Marek Drudge got a few poison stabs in on Larze, but received a whack in return before Larze lost sight of her.
    urgc3iy6sgvi.jpg
    The ogre was conveniently near the door, so Scenic took the opportunity to closely monitor the movements of the locals before sending off a couple of skull traps.
    upgtogl0b4uz.jpg
    Upstairs, Marek's day was about to take a sharp turn for the worse. First, he was so baffled by the improved invisibility on Drudge that he just stood there staring at her rather than using area spells or attacking the fully visible sorcerer. Scenic decided to take advantage of that by throwing in a web - assuming that Marek would still not attack Drudge even if she were held in the web. In the event that assumption was not tested there as Marek was first held by the web and then stunned by a dart.
    7tymthtwemk0.jpg

Moving on to Ramazith's Tower, the mage met his doom at the bottom before we started working upwards. Drudge the bear sorted out a pair of mustard jellies and, despite not having a totally safe saving throw, proclaimed she was willing to tank the ghasts on the next floor. Scenic was a bit worried about her getting held, so tried to cut the battle as short as possible by lobbing in a skull trap. Drudge is an old hand at this game by now though and had of course seen that coming - and taken the precaution of gulping a healing potion to top her HPs up.
    sizvh1gfb6eh.jpg
    She survived comfortably anyway and the rest of the tower was cleared without incident.

Scenic was still keen to test her assumption that an enemy mage would not attack a helpless victim in a web if they were improved invisible and Degrodel confirmed that after his guards had been drawn outside one by one for easier disposal.
    r9togmdsng2c.jpg

We were running a bit short on targets by this time, but Drudge suggested Scenic might like to send a friendly greeting to a local basilisk. Scenic considered sending a postcard, or perhaps at bottle of wine - but eventually plumped for an old staple and a few skulls later the greeting was complete.
    y7zuya9xj2ag.jpg
    Scenic then asked whether Drudge wanted some ogre gauntlets to boost her prowess with her dagger. We had no particular desire to talk to Desreta about her bedroom habits, so Scenic threw in a web from distance and followed up by blinding both Desreta and Vay-ya before they could break free.
    ozjuvbvrakgi.jpg
    Vay-ya did then shrug off the web and, feeling a need to take her anger out on someone, killed the innocent next to her - opening up the opportunity for Scenic to throw in a skull trap to finish off the combat quickly.

Sorcerer 9, 54 HPs (incl. 6 from familiar), 233 kills
    Druid 10, 80 HPs, 102 kills, 0 deaths
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 998
    @Gate70 the way I think of it, is my character is to the right. Therefore, I want my melee weapon to be the closest to the enemy (which would be to the character's left on screen), with ranged as a secondary weapon.
  • JonirenJoniren Member Posts: 22
    What's the plan for this human illusionist?
    edited October 2020
    So far just survival. Currently that is all he can hope for. He's not strong enough to have any great ambitions yet. He'll probably head south killing those hobgoblins that are left and then do some of the easier tasks in the south, reuniting Rufie with his owner, taking 'Drienne's cat to her and perhaps helping a dryad if he is up to it. Finding some scrolls would be a boon as he isn't rich and he's not powerful enough to take on ankhegs yet. Looking for the ring of fire protection and helping Samuel are also possibilities. He might then be strong enough for the ogre. I'll see what turns up after that.

What I am enjoying about this run is that he isn't strong. A complete contrast to some of my party runs. If he survives, he should become much stronger as the experience isn't being shared with others.

Having a blackguard and mage duo would be much easier, and he may ultimately decide to recruit Dorn. That's for the future though.

Of course his ultimate ambition is to become the god of murder.
    edited October 2020
    Another mage, but this time s gnome, female and good. Roll one poorer than last time. Perhaps better resistances will make her a bit less fragile.

ixkqbgb64zax.jpg
    kcyatkb0e895.jpg
  • aldainaldain Member Posts: 307
    @Wise_Grimwald If you want to drastically boost your solo mage's offensive capability and therefore survivability: Consider grabbing a Wand of Fire early on. You can safely retrieve the one in the Ankheg nest if you take the Potion of Invisibility off Jaheira and buy a single scroll of Invisibility from Thalantyr: Use the scroll to go invisible, sneak into the lair, grab the treasure and quaff the potion, sneak back out.
    edited October 2020
    Another Blackguard run

1fldaf587f6g.jpg
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 998
    Core rules, unmodded EE
    Yeldan II micro-update:

Yeldan II and gang are getting near the end. Only final fight with Abazigal, Balthsazar, Pocket Plane challenges #4 & #5 and Melissan left! Run going well other than the chunking of Imoen - replaced her with Sarevok! Will keep at it (party consists of two berserkers, two inquisitors and myself (fighter)).