Skip to content

[Infinite Dungeons][Feedback][Spoiler] Consequences need to be communicated in advance

Ian579Ian579 Member Posts: 241
edited October 2020 in General Discussions NWN:EE
I just finished dealing with a boss, who is a demon. When he asked me for helping him escape Undermountain, he didn't explain clearly what he would do after escaping. I only remember that he promised to grant me some sort of power and help me defeat Halaster, and I thought that he probably would return to the Abyss after escaping. But when I finally helped him escape, he gave me a powerful magic item and said the following words before leaving:
...now it is time for me to take my leave from this place and usher in a new era of darkness on some other unsuspecting populace. Let terror reign!

And I was like: "What??!! What have I done??" Had I known that he would "usher in a new era of darkness on some other unsuspecting populace", I would not decide to help him escape.

I think that kind of consequences really need to be communicated clearly in advance, otherwise the gameplay experience can become regrettable and frustrating.
Post edited by Ian579 on

Comments

• themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    Ian579 wrote: »
    Spoilers

Your post should probably have spoiler tags.
    Why would the demon need to reveal his plans? This sounds exactly like what a demon would do to somebody. It's also something I imagine a DM doing to their players. What exactly do you expect to happen by helping a demon? Glory? Honor? Betrayal and world domination make much more sense.
  • Ian579Ian579 Member Posts: 241
    edited October 2020
    Spoilers

Your post should probably have spoiler tags.
    Why would the demon need to reveal his plans? This sounds exactly like what a demon would do to somebody. It's also something I imagine a DM doing to their players. What exactly do you expect to happen by helping a demon? Glory? Honor? Betrayal and world domination make much more sense.

The thread title already says "Spoiler".

Anyway, what you said about the consequence of helping a demon makes sense. I think I learnt a lesson: It's not a good idea to decide to help demons without knowing what exactly they will do.
    Post edited by Ian579 on
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    ... It's a demon. XD They're Chaotic Evil incarnate. That's what they do. Even if they say that they're going to simply return to the Abyss, or promise you rewards, you can safely assume that a demon is always lying.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Woah now, there's story to Infinite Dungeons? I guess I should try it since it's one of the few NWN premiums I never played.

Beamdog has no control over this, though. Infinite Dungeons is from the original Premium Module days.
    edited October 2020
    Woah now, there's story to Infinite Dungeons? I guess I should try it since it's one of the few NWN premiums I never played.

Beamdog has no control over this, though. Infinite Dungeons is from the original Premium Module days.

I'm sorry to say this, but there is still a huge room for the story to improve. I haven't finished this module, but I don't see a clear story line in this module. The only presentable stories are from the bosses, and even those are just like short quests.

I'm sorry to say this, but there is still a huge room for the story to improve. I haven't finished this module, but I don't see a clear story line in this module. The only presentable stories are from the bosses, and even those are just like short quests.

Ah, that makes sense. Infinite Dungeons was never presented as a storyline module anyways, but as a dungeon crawler you could take several characters through.

I dunno if you have tried em, but I think Pirates of the Sword Coast and Kingmaker are the best of the premium modules, but they pale in comparison to the several very popular campaigns created by module makers.
    edited October 2020

Ah, that makes sense. Infinite Dungeons was never presented as a storyline module anyways, but as a dungeon crawler you could take several characters through.

I dunno if you have tried em, but I think Pirates of the Sword Coast and Kingmaker are the best of the premium modules, but they pale in comparison to the several very popular campaigns created by module makers.

I have played both modules. Pirates of the Sword Coast is okay. Kingmaker is disappointingly short and I don't feel its story is that good. But that's just my opinions.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Unfortunately Kingmaker, Shadowguard and Witch's Wake all ended just when the story was starting to go somewhere. I actually quite liked Kingmaker for the very distinct companions (each one has a unique story and having certain companions in your party can change what quests you get. Tripp, for example, will sometimes steal unique items for you in certain maps.)
    All three of them had potential and they all got axed because of dumb WoTC policy. You hate to see it.