Skip to content

Solasta: Crown of the Magister (D&D 5e OGL cRPG)

Comments

• SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited October 2019
    Dragonborn were also in Neverwinter as part of their Tyranny of Dragons DLC module. Other than that there's also Tales from Candlekeep: Tomb of Annihilation with a playable Saurial character (which is a far more interesting race than scaly Fus-Roh-Dah's :p ).

But yeah. Still utterly disappointed that half-orcs aren't in. And probably won't be unless Solasta will allow slacker backer pledges via paypal to count towards stretchgoals as well. Pathfinder: Kingmaker did this for instance.

Spells that allow you to shapeshift into dragons are amazing. Play as an half dragon in 3.5e was unbalaced as hell, but a lot of people liked. My unique critique was that the race origin is too boring. Should be something more nasty, like a evil vampire warlock/sorcerer/wziard doing experiments with draconic blood during spellplague to try to regain his powers and creating this race as an accident.

The Dragonborn lore is too generic and looks like an bad excuse to allow an easy to ballance "PC Dragon".

edit : is Tales from Candlekeep a good adaptation??
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited October 2019
    edit : is Tales from Candlekeep a good adaptation??
    TfC:ToA is a rather faithful adaption of D&D's Adventure System board game of the same name. I'm particularly fond of the setting (Chult) and it being the only videogame where you can either play as Saurial, Aaracokra or Tabaxi. Don't really care for the human one though. But this sadly means that you won't be able to create your own character in this game.

The downside for me at least is that it's turn-based and has colored equipment names, depending on their rarity. Which is a bit odd in a singleplayer game like this. Oh, and don't bother with the various microtransaction/DLC Packs: they are basically paid cheat codes.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    I've wondered about TfC. From looking at YT videos it seems like it is essentially a combat tactics game and not an RPG. For example, no character development outside of combat abilities. Is this correct?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Yup, sounds about right. It's really not a game for everyone. Especially since things like party banters are pretty much nonexistent. The main compounds are exploration, fighting and crafting. And the plot is as railroaded as possible, given the nature of the board game its based on.
    kanisatha
    I an satisfied with SORCERER. I mean, i would rather have Warlock due the fact that i already said(invocations like repelling blast with verticality and an class not present in many games), but an sorcerer with draconic bloodline will be amazing. Unfortunately looks like the level cap is 10, so no Dragon Wings. The best feature of draconic sorcerers IMO...

The first game since an long that explores verticality and looks like the coolest 5e abilities to explore an true 3D world aren't available...
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited October 2019
    The devs of Solasta are going to upload the Solasta game Archetypes in D&DBeyond for testing purposes.

The first one is https://www.dndbeyond.com/subclasses/281440-battle-domain-solasta
    (Myzz is one of the devs and a habitual in the Solasta Discord)

You´ve got a lot of offensive spells and features, including martial proficiency, but you do not have heavy armor proficiency (That´s for the Life domain)
    Heavy armor in 5e is not that good anyway unless you want to dump DEX entirely IMHO.
    SorcererV1ct0rGrammarsalad
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    The devs of Solasta are going to upload the Solasta game Archetypes in D&DBeyond for testing purposes.

The first one is https://www.dndbeyond.com/subclasses/281440-battle-domain-solasta
    (Myzz is one of the devs and a habitual in the Solasta Discord)

You´ve got a lot of offensive spells and features, including martial proficiency, but you do not have heavy armor proficiency (That´s for the Life domain)
    Heavy armor in 5e is not that good anyway unless you want to dump DEX entirely IMHO.

If they wanna add homebrew classes(assuming that then can legally), i wanna see the anime swordsman ( https://www.dndbeyond.com/subclasses/39530-anime-swordsman ) hu3hu3hu3hu3, just kidding. Their idea was amazing. Not only they get balancing feedback but they also get publicity.
    PsicoVic
    SorcererV1ct0r

Trailer.
    kanisatharonaldoGrammarsalad
  • hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 291
    I just tried the demo and it was absolutely terrible.

It's a shame, I liked the battle system and the interface well enough. But everything outside of that, navigation, level design, its awful and its because of their ambition to make every map some kind of vertical maze for human sized lab rats. You don't know what you're clicking on, elevation and character tracking is a mess, and I am sure some people will say "but its an alpha demo". Sometimes that is the issue, but I think the concept is the problem here because I can't really think of any way to make it work. Its just a bad idea and hasn't been done this way for a reason before.
    Cahir
    The game is on EA. Anyone here purchased?
    I've got it, obviously, as a backer. But per my standing rule of not playing an EA game, I won't be playing it anytime soon.

But going by gameplay videos and streams, yes for a TB combat game this game actually has combat I can at least work with and not find it utterly intolerable. So much better than BG3 combat and don't understand why this is the case.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    If they add bards, I'll probably check this out.
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    If they add bards, I'll probably check this out.
    Sorcerer will be added to the game as a free DLC after the launch of the game. This is already confirmed. TA have said adding more classes and races is the most likely DLC path for the game.
    ThacoBell
    Purchased and played a little(less than a hour). Strong ToEE "vibes". BG3 was very dos2 like(but since it had D&D mechanics I liked)
    PsicoVicÆmrys
    Honestly, I din't liked most Larian homebrew stuff like low AC/high hp enemies. However, most Solasta homebew stuff like the shock arcanist, I honestly loved https://www.dndbeyond.com/subclasses/285226-shock-arcanist-solasta
    edited October 2020
    Indeed, there are some homebrew subclasses that changed drastically how you play a character, like the "Green warrior" for wizards that basically turns your wizard into a pseudo-druid. I think that´s a fine way of making subclasses.

What I find interesting is that in the game are some roleplay details and mechanics that they use in the game: Like following tracks if you have the skill (actual tracks with info appear in the world), the crafting system or how factions react to your backgrounds. Also, the personality tags really change your dialogues. Gives some "Storm of zehir" and "IWD2" vibes I find appealing.

deltagoSorcererV1ct0r
    So there are kits? What about multiclassing?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    Indeed, there are some homebrew subclasses that changed drastically how you play a character, like the "Green warrior" for wizards that basically turns your wizard into a pseudo-druid. I think that´s a fine way of making subclasses.

What I find interesting is that in the game are some roleplay details and mechanics that they use in the game: Like following tracks if you have the skill (actual tracks with info appear in the world), the crafting system or how factions react to your backgrounds. Also, the personality tags really change your dialogues. Gives some "Storm of zehir" and "IWD2" vibes I find appealing.

Ya even though I find the writing a bit jarring, the personality traits are an amazing and refreshing take on how dialog is handled.

That and the decluttered UI are the best things about this game so far.
    kanisathaÆmrysGrammarsalad
    edited October 2020
    And the factions mechanics. The game is more a dungeon crawler than a story-driven game as someone already said in this thread, IMHO; but it has interesting mechanics that make the game a Role-playing game not only in name.
    I am enjoying that all your party members could participate in the dialogues and stuff, with a different approach or using his skills and interjections (at least the ones in my party. I already chose them with different tags, background and races) in a way similar that was made in NWN2 Storm of Zehir.
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    So there are kits? What about multiclassing?
    Not in the EA at least.
    ThacoBell
    edited October 2020
    Edit : Found the solution

But I will say. An big con for this game is ... Puzzles
    Post edited by SorcererV1ct0r on
    Æmrys
  • ÆmrysÆmrys Member Posts: 125
    Having fun with it so far as well and it is different in a lot of ways. it's been pretty smooth on the PC side as well were as BG3 has locked my rig up twice.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I bought it and like it, but it definitely feels B.
    scriver wrote: »
    I bought it and like it, but it definitely feels B.
    # of people working on BG3 = ~400
    # of people working on Solasta = 17
    ThacoBellÆmrys
    Now that's indie.
    kanisathaÆmrysGrammarsalad
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    After watching a few let's plays, I've decided that I'm definitely getting this game at some point
    edited October 2020
    After a while playing I have to say I am enjoying a lot the "camping and travelling" mechanics of this game. They allow you to do several things and the messages of encounters while playing are fun.
    Not as well-made as the camping mechanics of PF:K but very close and superior in some aspects. And at least in this game you do not have time restrictions so you can take your time exploring the countryside.