Skip to content

[Kickstarter] Pathfinder 2: Wrath of the Righteous

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited August 2020
    On a plus side: 2e finally made goblins into a core race.
    #GoblinLivesMatter
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited August 2020
    You guys don't have any Idea about how I love Paizo for allowing OwlCat to make PF:WoTR on PF1e.

Pf 2e has the same problems of D&D 5e ie - low lethality, lackluster spells,
    ¿? I do not know if you had some different experience with the 2E but I´m playing a druid and I throw fireballs for 7d6 damage, acid arrow and wall of fire for 4d6 per turn at lvl 7.
    And I still have the summon fungi/plants/elemental; hallucinatory terrain, baleful polymorph, meld into stone, haste, gaseous form and all that stuff.
    Even the cantrips are ok, You can cast electric arc (reflex save) non-stop every turn and makes a decent damage to 2 enemies for a cantrip. (and improves with your level)

That said, I agree WoTR deserves a PF1e campaign, and Owlcat makes incredible games for that edition.

• SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    You guys don't have any Idea about how I love Paizo for allowing OwlCat to make PF:WoTR on PF1e.

¿? I do not know if you had some different experience with the game but I´m playing a druid and I throw fireballs for 7d6 damage, acid arrow and wall of fire for 4d6 per turn at lvl 7. (...)

When you reach lv 15+ you will see the "oblivion effect", when even your Horrid Wilting will deal 10d10 damage max and enemies has way more hp than pf 1e.

Also, one of the mythic archetypes and the second most popular is Lich. I prefer vampirism over lichdoom however, can you imagine playing pf2e as a necromancer? With only lackluster summons summons taking an action to be commanded and zero OH"massive damage" spells? Nerfing finger of death to just massive damage instead of OHK(2e/3.5e) was already a huge disappointment. Necromancers was never considered the best mage specialization and they nerfed even more from 2e/3e to pf2e. Why?

I think they're really going to seriously alienate their fanbase with the decisions they're making in 2nd ed. They attracted their fanbase by not going along with the changes D&D was ramming through.

What kills any game is the excessive focus on balance and accessibility.... Lets hope that Paizo and OwlCat keeps supporting 1e.

¿? I do not know if you had some different experience with the game but I´m playing a druid and I throw fireballs for 7d6 damage, acid arrow and wall of fire for 4d6 per turn at lvl 7. (...)

When you reach lv 15+ you will see the "oblivion effect", when even your Horrid Wilting will deal 10d10 damage max and enemies has way more hp than pf 1e.
    Aaah, gotcha! Well, I´m not partial to "save and suck" or unlimited heighten spells like in previous D&D versions that allow you to one-spell-kill everything that fails a save.
    Party will hate me if they cannot play he he; but I get your meaning, and your`re right, they nerfed high- level spells in comparison with AD&D.

edited August 2020

Aaah, gotcha! Well, I´m not partial to "save and suck" or unlimited heighten spells like in previous D&D versions that allow you to one-spell-kill everything that fails a save.
    Party will hate me if they cannot play he he; but I get your meaning, and your`re right, they nerfed high- level spells in comparison with AD&D.

You can OHK enemies but high level enemies has a lot of protection against it. The strongest enemy which I had OHKilled on BG2 is the "lesser demon lord", for this, I had to cast 4 spells to lower his resistance, then greater malison and he even succeded 3 saves vs finger of death. So I had to reload to try this strategy again. Which worked
    wSBlumc.png

Note that you don't need OHK spells to kill this things fast. I used because I was soloing Legacy of Bhaal. Even Vecna on 2e had 150 hp. A **** demigod lich. However, deal even 1 pt of damage on him is insanely hard. He is immune to +4 and bellow weapons and can cast disjunction and make your gear mundane, can in a wail of the bahsee, slay your entire party, has crazy high SR and amazing saves, among so many nasty abilities that even my epic level party on my last ToB run would probably lose to him...
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    The full results of the WotR alpha were shared today with the KS backers. In the RPGWatch story here, you can click on the KS link at the top and also the table of results link for more details:

https://www.rpgwatch.com/news/pathfinder--wrath-of-the-righteous--alpha-test-results-44402.html
    For those interested: Pathfinder Wrath Of The Righteous has now a tvtropes page. It's a handy list of known features and included tropes all in one place. :)
    Just in case some haven't realized it yet: the second part of the Alpha testing has begun. It's a meaty 14GB update which now includes a new prologue and Chapter 3. With it comes three new companions, couple of new archetypes (amongst them being the Blood Kineticist (yay!) ), as well as the new WotR races. Oread, dhampir and kitsune still lack their unique models and instead use placeholders. But it's a start. :)

And last but not least we now have the portrait of the non-evil succubus companion:
    08u9vvbot8sa.jpg
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Bloodbenders?
    Anyone here tested blood kineticist? Sounds so amazing in name...
    edited September 2020
    Currently rolling a dhampir Blood Kineticist myself. It will take some time until I reach its higher archetype abilities (still at level 2). But it plays similar to a Water Kineticist, only that it can also utilize the “water“ inside bodies as well.

I am glad that Owlcat added it now. Especially since we won't be seeing Wood, Void or Aether. Ever...
    edited September 2020
    Could be worse. Kineticists are incomplete. Imagine if OwlCat had nerfed kineticists and made everything cool worthless like obsidian did to the wlk on nwn2...

My list of characters that I wanna to play >

Dhampir arcanist or wizard specialized in necromancy -> neutral evil -> Lich mythic path
    Silver draconic human sorcerer -> chaotic good -> Azata mythic path
    Dhampir blood kineticist -> chaotic neutral or chaotic evil -> IDK about mythic path. Maybe the demon mythic path?
    edited September 2020
    Owlcat is currently doing the first feedback survey on the Alpha Stage 2. So if you have access to their alpha tester subforum. And would like to share your thoughts once you had completed the first three chapters. Please make sure to fill the form out. The more feedback they can gather, the better WotR will become upon its release!

I for one adore the Mythic Paths, both on a narrative level and mechanical. The Lich Mythic Path is hands down my current favourite. Still waiting until the Demon's mythic quest chain for chapter 3 is completed until I try that path. But I am looking forward to try it. And I cannot wait until I get my mandibles on the Swarm-That-Walks once the Beta hits. Also, also: Wenduag is my favourite companion hands down! I take her over Lann pretty much any time. :)
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Owlcat is currently doing the first feedback survey on the Alpha Stage 2. So if you have access to their alpha tester subforum. And would like to share your thoughts once you had completed the first three chapters. Please make sure to fill the form out. The more feedback they can gather, the better WotR will become upon its release!

I for one adore the Mythic Paths, both on a narrative level and mechanical. The Lich Mythic Path is hands down my current favourite. Still waiting until the Demon's mythic quest chain for chapter 3 is completed until I try that path. But I am looking forward to try it. And I cannot wait until I get my mandibles on the Swarm-That-Walks once the Beta hits. Also, also: Wenduag is my favourite companion hands down! I take her over Lann pretty much any time. :)

How is the game looking from the storytelling point of view compared to Kingmaker? Are the locations more interesting than in P:K or they are copy paste again?
    edited September 2020
    There is no Linzi or other Narrator at the moment. Storytelling inside the alpha is done either by action packed cutscenes where Owlcat now utilizes zooming and rotations of the camera angles. Or via unvoiced bookevents. If I had to sum the direction where Owlcat is heading with storytelling into a single word, it would be "intense".
    WotR takes place in a different part on Golarion than Kingmaker. Its setting is the besieged Crusader Kingdom of Mendev that wages a neverending war against the invading demon hordes storming out of the Worldwound for more than 70 years. And its locations mirror that bloody history pretty well. The tilesets used for the locations vary greatly: from destroyed cities ravaged by demons, to blighted forests corrupted by the energies of the Abyss, to mysterious bioluminescence mushroom caverns, to the harsh environment of the planes of the Abyss itself (which you actually visit later on). Even familiar tilesets received much needed facelifts with more elaborated model details for flora/clutter. Random encounters also appear to have a larger number of "preset locations".

Speaking of encounters, there are many new additions since Alpha Stage 1: now there is a much wider variety of different undead, more demons, and also more animals/vermins. The newly added Giant Fly looks especially awesome to me. So much so that I even suggested to Owlcat for allowing it as animal companion. :p

Apropos companions: the personalities of WotR's companions are far more fleshed out than Kingmaker's. The characters feel more... vibrant? Colorful? Three dimensional? Actually humorous? The tester consensus is that they are both far more likeable and interesting to travel with than those in Kingmaker. For instance: Ember is sweet, caring, precious and completely batshit insane. In a not-sound-of-mind way. Literally. We also have Sosiel who is a Cleric of the Goddess of Beauty Shelyn, going on about his hobby: painting NPC's. Of course you can also do small talks with both him and his models. Tiny details like that really help to make the gameworld more alive. Then there are the evil ones. Oh dear. Even Dorn is but a greenhorn when compared to their personal quests. And I loved every second of it. :smirk:

Nothing is final though. In the end an alpha is still an alpha.

Edit: We now have a kickstarter update all about our local hedonistic aasimar count Daeran!

918feec3f258f845dec38b35f4dec35d_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=700&fit=max&v=1601381427&auto=format&frame=1&q=92&s=869290ee60a53aebcc963b36c6b8d1f5

I have to reitarate my kickstarter comment concerning his new portrait: DAT JACKET! :kissing_closed_eyes:
    Post edited by Kamigoroshi on
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    For anyone playing the alpha. Are there any obnoxious timers running like the chapter 1 gameover, or kingdom management that was in Kingmaker? How about companion quests? Are they running timers even when not in party?
    edited September 2020
    There are no “game over“ timers throughout the three alpha chapters, no. Chapter 1 has a timed attack on your base of operation. But the game continues just the same if you lose, win, or even ignore that defense battle altogether. It is also possible to complete chapter 1 without ever seeing the scout/messanger. So it's more of an optional player choice.

The only other timer I am aware of is in chapter 3 where you have the chance to hire a dwarven Slayer/bounty hunter. If you miss him he will instead receive an contract of another client. That said, he's right there inside your fortress city's own tavern. Hard to miss him, since your half-orc Paladin general even tells you that it might be a good idea to go seek him out. On the other hand... that companion costs a pretty penny. So whenever people decide to pay for his services is ultimately up to them.
    When will be available to non backers??? I an already sick of low level dungeons & kobolds, already finished bg3 ea and solasta. Wanna play this masterpiece soon!!!
    edited October 2020
    When will be available to non backers???
    We're still at pretty much in the middle of the second Alpha stage's feedback gathering round. I wouldn't expect closed Beta to hit backers until January personally. As for the release build itself? WotR's kickstarter says that Owlcat targets a June 2021 release window at the earliest.
    When will be available to non backers??? I an already sick of low level dungeons & kobolds, already finished bg3 ea and solasta. Wanna play this masterpiece soon!!!

I wouldn't be so excited about WoTR having in mind Kingmaker. I really hope Owlcat can deliver a true RPG this time, with exciting plot and locations. I would not worried about game mechanics, this was actually the strongest part of P:K, but I dont't want to see WoTR becoming RPG-strategy hybrid. And for the love of god, no time sensitive quests this time.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Cahir wrote: »

I wouldn't be so excited about WoTR having in mind Kingmaker. I really hope Owlcat can deliver a true RPG this time, with exciting plot and locations. I would not worried about game mechanics, this was actually the strongest part of P:K, but I dont't want to see WoTR becoming RPG-strategy hybrid. And for the love of god, no time sensitive quests this time.

And tune the difficulty down so that you don't have to powergame to win.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I realize my experience with kingmaker actually follows Baldur's Gate as well. I found the balance to be fine for the most part then The House at the Edge of Time/Throne of Bhaal happens and everything is ridiculously difficult unless you know the specific counters beforehand.

I know a lot of people prob don't find Throne of Bhaal hard but I had to lower the difficulty to story on a few parts and in my original run of the trilogy by sub-optimal blackguard gave up as he was getting crushed by fire giants (My blackguard had 14 str because I thought that meant +2 like in 3.X at the time, I now know better of course since I'm familiar with 2e much more now). It took a 2nd try years later that I finally finished the trilogy+SoD with a Bard.
    Cahir wrote: »

PFKM was a masterpiece. By far the best modern TT adaptation.

As for time sensitive, I an all for "not game over failures". Eg - If during a troll invasion, you take too much time, they devastate part of the kingdom, sending a lot of refugees to your city and now, you have increased chance of random encounter, events on your capital and so on. Or if you take too much time to prevent a necromancer and he becomes a lich and now, he is far harder and an optional puzzle is now mandatory since you need to destroy his phylactery.

If you mean, DnD/Pathfinder rules adaptation, sure. But as a RPG game, for me it was one of the biggest letdowns of the last couple of years. Story-wise the game has VERY little to offer. Since for me the game mechanics is just a nice addition to overall gaming experience, which role is just to not get in the way of playing, I don't find it that much impactful for my overall verdict.

I don't want to repeat my arguments, I explained why I don't like the game in P:K general thread, but I do wish Owlcat do MUCH better this time, obviously, since unfortunately I did a grave mistake of backing WoTR. Yes, I was so sure I will love P:K.
    edited October 2020
    I think "compelling" or "interesting" or "engaging" depends on your personal opinion. The fact that was not interesting for you does not mean it´s not for other people.

Personally, I found Nyrissa has some of the best dialogues of a Villain I´ve seen in a long time in a CRPG ( "My bloodhound") and a plot surrounding building a kingdom with some random adventurers beats the usual "chosen one" and an "Evil entity sealed for 100 years" any day of the week.
    You reach godly levels in the end, but not because you are a "special snowflake with a hidden power" but because you work for it. Every step of the road.

If you take your time most of your companions have proper backstories and dialogues to follow, albeit I think some of them could have used more (At least I wanted more about some of them) and liked that most of the companion quests have different outcomes depending on your decisions and alignment. I surely liked how the way you treated your companions could determine something in the endgame.

I didn´t like the excessive combat in the endgame, at all; but I like the main plot and how you uncover the motivations of the people involved and the real Big bad evil guy a lot, finding worthy adversaries in the road, like Irovetti or Armag.

After the first game, I have high expectations about this second one. They have the full ruleset and the game engine, so I wonder what they could do with more budget and a new story.
    I think a compelling or interesting or engaging depends on your personal opinion. The fact that was not interesting for you does not mean it´s not for other people.

Personally, I found Nyrissa has some of the best dialogues of a Villain I´ve seen in a lot of time in a CRPG ( "My bloodhound") and a plot surrounding building a kingdom with some random adventurers beats the usual "chosen one" and an "Evil entity sealed for 100 years" any day of the week.

I didn´t like the excessive combat in the endgame, but I like the main plot and how you uncover the motivations of the people involved and the real Big bad evil guy a lot, finding worthy adversaries in the road, like Irovetti or Armag.

Sure, it's just my personal opinion. It's perfectly normal that it is a great game to many players. And I agree that evaluating story elements is very subjective matter and it can be engaging to others. But I find locations design OBJECTIVELY repetitive and not interesting at all. And no amount of arguments can persaude me it's not the case.

When it comes to overall story, NPC's are divinitely the strongest part of it. I find some of them quite adorable. But that's it.
    edited October 2020
    I understand it's not interesting for you, but I fail to see what has in common a battleground between mites and kobolds, a luscious capital of a foreign kingdom, a mysterious abandoned town, a goblin village, the changing passages of the first world, the caves, barbarian camps, a huge fight versus a barbarian horde, underground tombs with puzzles, etc.... in philosophy and in dungeon design so I don´t think the adequate word is "Objective" unless you do not care much about dungeon design or details.
    And I do not try to persuade you, the heart wants what the heart wants, I just say the use of the word "objectively" is going a little overboard here.

I usually find repetitive when it´s a game like the FF games, where you just run over multicoloured straight hallways surrounded by lots of graphic tricks to hide it; or games like Dragon age or KoA: Reckoning where you fight the same 6 enemies with different skins and looks the entire game. PF: K has relatively small maps, but usually full of things to do and explore and the enemies have different strategies, abilities and resistances so it makes you have to think a little more than usual.

If you are saying an indie game has the same looks in the rocks and walls and herbs when they design the environment and some tiles look the same. Yeah, it does. It´s an indie game. I do not really care that much about it, to be honest.
    Post edited by PsicoVic on
    All right, fair enough. Don't want to argue. Let's just leave it like that. I just hope that WoTR will suit my needs more than P:K :) An argument about an Indie game is solid, I probably set my expectations a wee to high.
    I think "compelling" or "interesting" or "engaging" depends on your personal opinion. The fact that was not interesting for you does not mean it´s not for other people.

Well said. I loved the story and lore of kingmaker. Ancient curses, fey, tricks, first world invading, an antagonist which isn't good or evil, just wanna play and sees humans as his pawns, ancient lich awakening an army of undead cyclops and wreaking havoc, traison, an mother who sold her own daughter to slavery, this is just an small part of the game's story and is so interesting.

WoTR will feature a succubus companion which can be "turned" into Good. Just like the first game explored a lot the feyworld, I expect WoTR to explore a lot the Abyss.