Skip to content

Small mods you would like to see

12346»

Comments

• ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    Mantis37 wrote: »
    She’ll refuse to fight or even turn against you if your reputation is low enough. 1-5 should do it. Most of my characters - who probably haven’t adventured with her in BG1- don’t have the same attachment to her in any case.

Thanks for the info, but I almost always play as a good or at least neutral character.

Cicatrix wrote: »
    You can achieve this pretty easily by sending her into the traps in Chateau Irenicus or equipping her with only a spear and sending her to fight enemies like Tarnor the Hatchetman. That is what I do when I don't want her (and/or Minsc) in the party.
    Maurvir wrote: »
    Couldn't you just not open their cages? You don't even have to go to that end of the hall, as there is another teleport portal elsewhere.
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    I know they're just pixels so I'm not overly concerned about them, but when I don't want Jaheira/Minsc I just tell them that they're on their own. I even do this if I'm playing lawful or neutral evil. If nothing else, they will cause distractions, allowing me to escape more easily (especially Minsc who will likely clear some evil butts on his way out). If I'm chaotic evil, however, I just leave them (I don't play CE very often though, can't really rp that alignment convincingly in my mind).

Thanks for all the advice, but the problem here is that they're all immersion-breaking - if I had no qualms about being a d*ck to Jaheira, I wouldn't have any issues just saying goodbye to her in the first place.

And besides, I don't dislike Jaheira being in my party, but at some point I just look to swap her out with someone I like better.

An alternate path to the Galvarey encounter would not only provide an immersive reason to remove her from the party, but would also add some more depth to her character and make for an interesting story twist IMO.

I can totally understand you. I've always wanted to try other NPCs, but never had the heart to leave Jaheira behind. So I was almost relieved when, during a minimal reload run (reload on Charname death only), I ran around at night and she got chunked by a vampire. Somehow I can handle it with Minsc, leaving him at the Coronet after a while and imagining we meet there frequently, but Jaheira is another matter.

On the other hand, it would be out of character for her to side with Galvarey. And I think it really speaks for the writing of this game if it makes it hard for you to leave a fictional character behind. To some of us, even knowing they're just pixels doesn't help much. That means it's a well-written story.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    If you want to drop Jaheira and not be a jerk, you need to do it before the Galvarey event.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited October 2020
    @ThacoBell 100% agreed.
    by the way it is perfectly possible to avoid to explore the starting room and never find both Jaheira and Minsc, and it is something that I partially do often.
    Partially because I often like to solo the starting dungeon, vanilla or with Tactics mod that make it particularly interesting, to get the most XP from it, as charname gets 100% of the kills xp. Then, right when I have cleared all the dungeon charname "checks it" to see if there is some more loot to recover and "finds" his former companions, that by the way have gained some xp as the NPCs one tries to match the one that charname has the first time he meets them.

I do it for PG reasons, but it can be also used for RP ones, never find them and pretend that they are not there, that are among the BG characters that never show up in BG2.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited August 2021
    I have thought of another small mod I would like to see:

Random Locations for Hidden Items

Basically I would like a mod that moved things like the Ring of Wizardry, the scroll of Cloudkill, the Ankheg plate armour to new locations so you actually have to stumble across them rather than just head to where you know they are hidden.

No idea whether that is possible but I think it would make searching the maps more interesting.