Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Modifying the GemRB demo

m7600m7600 Member Posts: 260
edited November 2020 in Off-Topic
(EDIT: I changed the title from "GemRB to "Modifying the GemRB demo")

I thought I'd start a GemRB thread, since I haven't seen one (apologies if one already exists). Not sure if I should post this here or in General Modding.

Anyways, here's a screenshot of the demo. I'm running this on Ubuntu. In the demo, you can walk around, and that's about it. I really like the area background. I'm planning on adding stuff to the demo, like monsters, NPCs, and all that jazz. Don't expect a full game from me yet, though : P

b9yrauc0jwsl.png

Post edited by m7600 on
Kamigoroshi

Comments

• m7600m7600 Member Posts: 260
    So, here I'm using IETME (Infinity Engine Tileset Map Editor) in order to make a new area for the GemRB demo. I'm using WINE in order to run IETME.

The new area is a swamp. I made it using Blender 2.79, Tiled, and GIMP. Originally I made it for a FLARE mod.
    As you can see, the cliff walls were not done by me, those are from the original ar0100.bmp that comes with the GemRB demo. All I did was paste my swamp .bmp on top of that, the new area is ar0200.bmp.

I then run GemRB, and I teleport the character to the new area using the console command MoveToArea("ar0200")

qb85uj3mnha0.png

fvpzgdaluoxh.png

KamigoroshiPokotaWarChiefZeke
    I hope that nobody minds that I'm using this thread as a sort of journal, where I plan to post updates on my attempt at expanding the GemRB demo.

Before making enemies, I'd like to have a more visually appealing GUI. So, I start by removing the white background GUI that comes with the demo, together with all of that text. What I end up with is just the game window. The next step will be to make some images for the buttons, etc.

i0nu7gih4pwp.png

KamigoroshimodestvoltaGrammarsalad
    Making a good looking GUI is no easy task, and it can take a while. What I made here is simply a wooden background image for the GUI, but only as a placeholder, the image has to be improved (a lot).
    For this stage, I used a public domain image of some wooden planks that I found on burningwell.org, and then some editing with GIMP. In order to make the .mos file, I used DLTCEP (DragonLance Total Conversion Editor Pro)

fu7uht3676tb.png

rd3h7vfa0549.png

Kamigoroshi
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 807
    I would suggest using a less noisy texture for the demo - the wood planks you're using now are going to cause font readability problems.

m7600
    edited November 2020
    @Pokota : Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep that in mind.

Here is a modification of the character animation. I made a 3d orc model with Blender 2.79, which I then exported as a series of .png files, these were later edited with GIMP, and finally I used BAM Workshop 2 for making the .bam file.

It doesn't look great, but it's a start.

Oh, and I've changed the topic of this thread from "GemRB" to "Modifying the GemRB demo".

EDIT: In case you're wondering what those black squares in the game window are, that's the fog of war. I'll eventually modify that too.

bmcwfbl7ujj4.png

ymnkh5lgtyzb.png

tstygxbuiugp.png

KamigoroshimodestvoltaPokota
    Another way of putting custom animations into the game is to use DLTCEP instead of BAM Workshop. Here you can see the 3d model in Blender, which I then export as a series of separate .bmp files, one for each frame.
    Then I use DLTCEP to combine all of the separate frames into a single animated file, with a .bam extension so that GemRB can read it.
    You can also see that I've tried to improve the image a little bit, making it a bit larger and less pixelated.

Finally, here is a .gif for one of the animation cycles.

y8bx36a9yj63.png

welmu45rrn6b.png

2oitk5cez1cl.png

p120ll16r89m.gif

KamigoroshimodestvoltaGrammarsalad