Skip to content

I messed up TOEE, what should I do?

lazynomore52lazynomore52 Member Posts: 22

(This video is me, killed by Demon at Fire Node. You don't have to watch it, it just shows what happens when I fight stronger enemies)

Hello.

I'm playing Temple of Elemental Evil with Co8 and Temple+ patched.

Long story short: my character is lv 2 Rogue/2 Figher/9 Sorcerer that makes lv 13,

However, I can't level up anymore because I've wiped out almost every enemies.

However, all remaining enemies are too strong to kill.

Here's the Long version:

I've wiped out Deklo Grove(Spiders), Moathouse, Emridy Meadows(Hill Giant and some skeletons)

Wiped out Temple Dungeon Level 3, wiped out Fire Temple after I've done their quest,

Wiped out Water Temple.

Wiped out Lich Mathel, his minions.

All remaining enemies are Demons from Elemental Nodes, Earth Temple, Air Temple, Hendrack(Iuz Summoner guy), Zuggtmoy

However, they are too strong to kill and I don't have any enemies to get exp.

Sometimes I rest inside Temple to have random encounter, but most encounters are ogres and they don't give me much exp.

Furthermore, I can't recruit NPCs because I don't know why, but people of Hommlet are hostile to me. Elmo, Burne, Rufus died.

I can't go to Nulb too because I killed Dala and Nulb are hostile too.

Remaining companions are Zaxis(Bard), Sargen(Wizard) but they are too weak.

I have Fragarach and Scather and these are good weapons but it's not enough to beat them.

What should I do? I don't want to use console commands, should I re-start the game?

Comments

• m7600m7600 Member Posts: 318
    Hmm... maybe you could recruit the druid NPC that's inside the temple. And you could use the Orb of Golden Death.

Regardless, the balor fight is tough in general.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I never had a problem with TOEE with Co8 mod even when going solo so I'd say rethink your tactics. Use spells that you didn't think were useful before...
    As a side note, the P&P version of The Temple of Elemental Evil is far more unforgiving. In terms of dungeon design, Gygax was a straight-up sadist. As in, when you try to retrieve the Frost Brand sword in the fire temple, your hands get chopped off by a scythe-blade trap, and there is no saving throw.

This dungeon's design is nowhere near the level of sadism exhibited by The Tomb of Horrors, but it's still Gygaxian to the core. Point being: don't expect an easy victory, instead try to survive for as long as you can, lol
    Balrog99
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    m7600 wrote: »
    As a side note, the P&P version of The Temple of Elemental Evil is far more unforgiving. In terms of dungeon design, Gygax was a straight-up sadist. As in, when you try to retrieve the Frost Brand sword in the fire temple, your hands get chopped off by a scythe-blade trap, and there is no saving throw.

This dungeon's design is nowhere near the level of sadism exhibited by The Tomb of Horrors, but it's still Gygaxian to the core. Point being: don't expect an easy victory, instead try to survive for as long as you can, lol

I'd say it must have been considerably nerfed for PC then. Other than the game-over vorpal toads I never had a problem...
    m7600
    edited November 2020
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    I'd say it must have been considerably nerfed for PC then.

It was, and it can still be challenging, despite the nerf. There's a cool video about the P&P version here if you have the time.

The same guy also made a video for the Tomb of Horrors. Now that is one sick dungeon design. I don't know anyone that ever survived that module to the end. It's still a lot of fun to play though, just keep in mind that your PC will almost certainly die. Gygax was harsh as a designer, but at the same time he somehow made his designs really fun.
  • lazynomore52lazynomore52 Member Posts: 22
    edited November 2020
    Hmm... maybe you could recruit the druid NPC that's inside the temple.

Uhm, I checked gamebanshee to see where that druid is, turns out I've wiped that area already.

Furthermore, I don't know how to use Orb of Golden Death. It has only poison and Discern Lies(I don't even know what this is.)
    Hmm... maybe you could recruit the druid NPC that's inside the temple.

Uhm, I checked gamebanshee to see where that druid is, turns out I've wiped that area already.

Furthermore, I don't know how to use Orb of Golden Death. It has only poison and Discern Lies(I don't even know what this is.)

After killing each boss in the elemental nodes, you can upgrade the Orb of Golden Death so that it has more powers. Each boss drops a gem that you can add to the orb. This allows you to summon some boss monsters of your own. For example, after killing the Glabrezu, you can summon your own Glabrezu using the orb.

Here's my party, with the orb at full power:

spyfb095exfn.png

You could summon a hezrou in your fight against the balor.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

It was, and it can still be challenging, despite the nerf. There's a cool video about the P&P version here if you have the time.

The same guy also made a video for the Tomb of Horrors. Now that is one sick dungeon design. I don't know anyone that ever survived that module to the end. It's still a lot of fun to play though, just keep in mind that your PC will almost certainly die. Gygax was harsh as a designer, but at the same time he somehow made his designs really fun.

I think it was run as part of a convention once and a team of players managed to beat it with some rule loophole abuse. Like, to the point that they literally called Gygax to rule whether it was legal or not.
    m7600WarChiefZeke
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    ThacoBell wrote: »

I think it was run as part of a convention once and a team of players managed to beat it with some rule loophole abuse. Like, to the point that they literally called Gygax to rule whether it was legal or not.

We played it using Baldur's Gate characters when @LadyRhian ran it as a role playing challenge on this forum a few years back. It was a lot of fun but the body count was very high. We lost Aerie (twice), Edwin. Xzar. Keldorn, Ajantis, Tiax, Minsc, Viconia, Xan, Coran, Korgan and Kivan

I played Alora and I thought I was going to make it right to the end but the lich stole my soul in the final fight.

Kivan and Imoen survived though.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/3171/the-roleplaying-challenge-tomb-of-horrors/p1
    ThacoBellm7600
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    Some areas respawn very quickly, xp generators, at character level 13 it might be too little too late though. It was the best way I learned to level up early, I'm not sure how useful it would be above level ten.