Skip to content

Longer Road working in BG2EE

RooksxRooksx Member Posts: 57
edited December 2014 in BGII:EE Mods
I've managed to get Longer Road, the mod that allows Irenicus to join your party in ToB, working with BG2EE. Couldn't have been simpler. Download the mod from here: http://iegmc.shphockey.com/longerroad/LongerRoad_v1.5.1.zip and extract to your BG2EE directory.

Open setup-longerroad.tp2 in notepad.
Comment the "REQUIRE_FILE" lines near the top by adding "//" so that they read:
//REQUIRE_FILE ~Data/25Dialog.bif~ @2
//REQUIRE_FILE ~Data/25Scripts.bif~ @2
Save.

Now install! You'll know it's working if when you start a new game of ToB, Ellesime almost immediately appears to talk to you. Just to be safe, don't click the stone heads until she appears.

You have to have a combined INT+WIS of 24 and choose the right (slightly odd) dialogue options with Ellesime in order to get a necesseray tem. Note that Irenicus is hilariously OP. He's a level 30 mage with with an item that gives him +4 spells at every level, +1 INT and permanent haste. He also has innate immunity to petrify and charm and reduced casting time.

Please note that I have only playtested it up to the point when Irenicus joins. I'm actually playing through SoA right now so won't be testing further until I've got to ToB. I'm playing with SCS, Tweaks, Atweaks, BP Ascension, UB, Kelsey and Banter Mods. I installed Longer Road last. One of the mods I have prevented the Longer Road music from installing but no other problems that I can see so far.

Post edited by Rooksx on
JonelethIrenicusCrevsDaakelminsterJuliusBorisovlolienT2av

Comments

• JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    I shall return!!!!!!!!
    CrevsDaakelminsterJuliusBorisovlolien
  • ScourgeScourge Member Posts: 97
    edited December 2014
    It's not Irenicus being OP, it is just story-wise that if he wasn't that strong like portrayed in this mod, I doubt he would have been able to try to become a god not once, but twice.
  • RooksxRooksx Member Posts: 57
    The point is that he's going to be OP in comparison to the rest of your party and any unfortunate enemies. There are any number of RP reasons one could come up with to lower his power to more reasonable levels. Gameplay is just as important as story. I've already edited his mask to make it less ridiculous.
  • ScourgeScourge Member Posts: 97
    Which Rp reasons? I'm interested.
    edited December 2014
    All it takes is a little imagination to justify his power being a more reasonable level that doesn't outclass everyone else.

Maybe all the fights against Charname have drained him of his power. Or being killed has had an adverse affect. Or he's taken a beating in Hell and coming back from there has depleted him. Or he simply wasn't a level 30 mage who can cast a huge number of spells per day, with an innate reduced casting time, to begin with.

I'm not interested in discussing this further because RP discussions go anywhere useful - there's no "right" answer. just opinions. The bottom line is that at the beginning of ToB, an NPC who is clearly overpowered can join your party. If you don't think that's a gameplay problem, fine.
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    edited March 2015
    Alright, my curiosity got the better of me and I tried the mod.

Irenicus is certainly a bit overpowered but contrary to the popular opinion, his high level is actually a flaw - he can get only one more (31) and therefore his access to HLA is extremely limited. He can get one and while it will be certainly Improved Alacrity, he can't get anything beyond that. No Dragon's Breath, Comet or Summon Fallen Planetar.

That being said, he really doesn't need it since by the time you get him he will more often than not be a second arcane spellcaster in your party. On the other hand, he is a natural when it comes to casting the Wish spell.

Now, as far as the mask goes - why it grants him Haste is beyond me. It looks weird. I was always a fan of the Paws of the Cheetah because the movement increase looks so much more natural than after a simple Haste spell. Here he looks ridiculus.

4 extra spells per level is too much. I'd give him 2, like Edwin's Amulet. Also, I wouldn't change his innate spellcasting speed (though he was a bit slower than my Neera with RoV and Amulet of Power) - if anything, to preserve his image from the cutscenes, I would give him permanent aura cleansing but that's just wishful thinking since it would make him ridiculusly overpowered if he wore the Robe of Vecna. If he could be prevented from wearing it, though, it could be nice. He would be still powerful but couldn't launch some extreme combos other wizards with the robe can make (timestop, improved alacrity and twenty spells).

The plot of the mod in the beginning is quite engaging and very rich - his banters are philosphical in nature and it's fun to watch some of the other team members react to him. Also, it's fun to have the main antagonist from BG1 (Sarevok) and from BG2 (Irenicus) in the same team ;)

With all that being said, I had to - unfortunately - uninstall the mod since it crashed my game once I met with Gromnir in Saradush. I don't know if this is an isolated issue or not, but after uninstalling him everything was ok. It's like he was supposed to say something there but for some reasons couldn't.
    Lathlaer said:

With all that being said, I had to - unfortunately - uninstall the mod since it crashed my game once I met with Gromnir in Saradush. I don't know if this is an isolated issue or not, but after uninstalling him everything was ok. It's like he was supposed to say something there but for some reasons couldn't.

Had this same problem and spent a long, fruitless time trying to trigger Irenicus's dialogue. Finally I gave up but figured a way round it.

After installing the mod, download the attached RAR file and extract the gromnir.d file into your BG2 base directory. Then compile the file using weidu:
    Command Prompt - weidu gromnir.d

Copy the gromnir.dlg file that results into the override directory. This should bypass Irenicus's lines and the fight will commence as normal.
  • SarevokokSarevokok Member Posts: 171
    Not working for me at all, infact it turned a lot of things to invalid.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    Sarevokok said:

You installed the mod to a different language or you AV block modification to dialog.tlk
  • SarevokokSarevokok Member Posts: 171
    Only dialog.tlk I have in my folder, which all my other mods have used, is english
    Encountered another game-breaking bug but found the fix on the Spellhold forum. A CTD may occur in Watcher's Keep near the conclusion of the Deva quest. See this post: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/18993-a-very-annoying-crash/?p=239825
  • SharDundredSharDundred Member Posts: 6
    I loved that mod, I'd really like to play it again. Gonna try this fix out, I only managed to make it installable when BG2:EE came out, couldn't fix the Gromnir bug myself, sadly. Thanks a lot for this!

It'd also be nice if this mod, should it ever be updated, contained new interactions with the new EE NPCs. I see quite a lot potential there.
  • JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    dorotea said:

Hi folks,

I am actually the author of this mod. Was wondering if there is anybody around who is still interested in fixing LR for EE and or, modifying content. Would appreciate any input.

D

Any plans to finish Bitter grey ashes? :disappointed:
  • esengeasesengeas Member Posts: 23
    If this mod actually gets fixed to work with ee I would be so happy! on of the best writtenmods I remember playing in the original baldurs gate tob
  • starwarsstarwars Member Posts: 1
    ALIEN said:

Sarevokok said:

You installed the mod to a different language or you AV block modification to dialog.tlk
    what is AV block modification to dialog.tlk how to fix it i am a noob here thanks
    @dorotea Missed you post, I've send PM.
  • Friendly_NerdFriendly_Nerd Member Posts: 5
    Rooksx said:

After installing the mod, download the attached RAR file and extract the gromnir.d file into your BG2 base directory. Then compile the file using weidu:
    Command Prompt - weidu gromnir.d

Copy the gromnir.dlg file that results into the override directory. This should bypass Irenicus's lines and the fight will commence as normal.

Hey, I'm new to WeiDU and I'm trying to fix my BG2 game without uninstalling mods. I'm trying to do as this post said but I have no idea how WeiDU works. Could somebody write me a step-by-step guide to doing this? Any info is welcome, really. Thank you!
    Never mind - fixed it.
  • rossbach451rossbach451 Member Posts: 165
    Hoping someone is around to answer this, but I am getting no love in downloading this. Chrome calls it malware, the site itself was deemed malicious. Can anyone chime in on this? I have played this pre-EE, and really enjoyed it.
  • agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    Is anyone working on adding EET compatibility to this mod? There's definitely player interest.
  • agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    @dorotea I'm working on patching this mod to work with EE and EET and looking at the issues reported in this thread. Do you have any interest in collaborating with me on a new release?
    @agb1 please, please do this. that would be wonderful. last time i played with this mod it took ages to figure out how to install correctly and my game would crash at the worst times. it's so nice to see that the bg2 modding community is still going even after all this time.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    @agb1 the mod had a few issues, like triggers not working correctly.
    bob_vengMantis37lolien
  • saber0saber0 Member Posts: 84
    awesome thanks!
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Any chance of a version that is based on Wheels of Prophecy but not Ascension?
  • ZakerosZakeros Member Posts: 75
    Never mind - fixed it.

Hey there, can you please tell me how did you fix it? I'm facing the same problem and can't get it working.
    edited November 2020