Skip to content

NWN Modules for Beamdog to pick up and polish - what would you buy?

StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,356
edited July 2020 in NWN:EE Modules
I have played NWN for many years now. Ever since picking up my Diamond edition back in the days. So an avid fan - for many years now.

I am now enjoying the game on a switch, and have to say that I really love the console version of the game - it’s truly enhanced as I see it

I didn’t know what to expect from the renderer, but have seen that people speculated about the future of NWN:ee since it was scrapped. To remedy the loss, I hope that we will see Beamdog picking up some quality modules and truly enhance them.

First on my wish list would be
- Baldur’s Gate: there is an old module as I recall? But I would love to see the full saga to be honest,
- Eye of the beholder: it’s a classic, and I wouldn’t mind to see the whole trilogy adapted,
- A Leto’ish mod for Switch

The adaption of old household and well known stories should be a kind of cash grap ? - it’s old, but good. And if Beamdog ever made the above, I would gladly flush them with money. Come get em!!

But that’s just me. What would you pay good money for?
Post edited by StummvonBordwehr on

Comments

• AncarionAncarion Member Posts: 155
    If it was anything like the last attempt.... Nothing.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    It seems unlikely that fan-made modules will ever be adopted commercially, owing to the complicated ownership issues. Most of them contain work by a legion of authors, many of whom are hard to contact, so there would be too many legal and payment questions.

As we have seen, it might be possible in the case of cancelled premium modules, which were presumably made by a well-defined legal entity.

Arguably, the question is academic, since many well-made modules are freely available on the Vault.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,356
    edited July 2020
    It may be academic, but some considerations should be taken into account.

The coding of the module may belong to the coder, but the content may not. The BG trilogy is in the custody of WoTC. The WoTC seem quite set on safeguarding the old modules in their stock. So an agreement with WoTC would be the most crucial step after all.

But I will fully agree that Beamdog should steer clear of any moves that would upset the community. So coorporation is the way to go. But the legal work of handling an old module should be manageble.

But how about a battle royale module then. With highscores and leaderboard?

Some of the old gold box games may also be a safe pick?

Ps. Modules for the consoles and tablets cant be picked up on the vault - thats why it holds interest
    Post edited by StummvonBordwehr on
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    Proleric wrote: »
    It seems unlikely that fan-made modules will ever be adopted commercially, owing to the complicated ownership issues. Most of them contain work by a legion of authors, many of whom are hard to contact, so there would be too many legal and payment questions.

As we have seen, it might be possible in the case of cancelled premium modules, which were presumably made by a well-defined legal entity.

Arguably, the question is academic, since many well-made modules are freely available on the Vault.

and the only cancelled premium module left is hex coda. and the creator has no interest in doing that.
  • CalgacusCalgacus Member Posts: 273
    megamike15 wrote: »

and the only cancelled premium module left is hex coda. and the creator has no interest in doing that.
    I never played Hex Coda. If the original author was interested (or transferred rights to beamdog) and did an EE remake of part 1 and/or did an EE remake of part 2 and release them as one or two premium mods I would definitely buy.
  • CalgacusCalgacus Member Posts: 273
    Another I would buy is Fester Pot's 3rd Auren trilogy mod (Fate of the Auren) if it was finished and released as a premium mod.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    There are loads of good 2nd edition modules that were made back in the day. Surely some of these can be ported into NWN modules?

The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun, The Fires of Dis, Under the Dark Fist, so many great ones worth mentioning, and certainly worth playing if you can get a group together.
  • RohomildRohomild Member Posts: 26
    I wonder what the reason not to support fan modules on console is. Is it because it would be hard to code? Or does it open the console up for hacking? I mean Mario maker has an active "modding" scene, so it's not like console players don't like fan made content.
    This was discussed with Bioware back in the day. At that time, at least, console companies subjected all content to a rigorous vetting process at the developer's expense. That was potentially worthwhile for the core game, but no one had the resources to put fan-made modules through all that grief.

Personally, I've never owned a console for that reason - why submit to censorship by monopolies when we have the open internet?

If anyone knows how modding is now regulated on those platforms, I'd be interested to know, but commercially it's unlikely to happen, for the reasons I gave above.
    Proleric wrote: »
    This was discussed with Bioware back in the day. At that time, at least, console companies subjected all content to a rigorous vetting process at the developer's expense. That was potentially worthwhile for the core game, but no one had the resources to put fan-made modules through all that grief.

Personally, I've never owned a console for that reason - why submit to censorship by monopolies when we have the open internet?

If anyone knows how modding is now regulated on those platforms, I'd be interested to know, but commercially it's unlikely to happen, for the reasons I gave above.

Ok, so it's most likely a problem with age ratings? That's to bad, because even tho NWN:EE on console includes the OC, SoU, HotU, Darkness over Daggerford, and other adventures, and that is alot of game, it's to bad that I can't discuss new modules with my friend that plays the game on switch.
    thats an issue i had with nwn ee on consoles. you can't play the fan modules so once your done with the official content you got nothing left.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    One fan module series I routinely revisit is Steve B's Blackguard Trilogy. But I am under no delusion this classic will ever get picked up by Beamdog for consoles. It having a mature tone and focusing on a Chaotic Evil plot and all.

Mods and community modules are the main reason I still play NwN. So, for myself, I see little value in purchasing one of the console ports. That being said: a steady flow of new Premium Modules would be a godsent for console users precisely because of the lack of fan-made offline modules on these new platforms.
    it does not help that afew of what are considered the best fan modules broke after the last few patches like prophet and Tales of Arterra
    it does not help that afew of what are considered the best fan modules broke after the last few patches like prophet and Tales of Arterra

Are they totally unplayable now? I can install diamond edition from gog, but I rather not bother if I don't absolutely have to.
    I may be wrong, but I don't think any older modules are unplayable, though in some cases workarounds are necessary.

It helps when players finding glitches or solutions report them on the Vault.
    the issue with the 2 i used are scripting related. there is a work around for prophet so you can finish the game on the vault page for chapter 3.

for Tales of Arterra you just outright lose access to your party members in part 2 of awakening.
    edited September 2020
    the issue with the 2 i used are scripting related. there is a work around for prophet so you can finish the game on the vault page for chapter 3.

for Tales of Arterra you just outright lose access to your party members in part 2 of awakening.

make shore to report the bugs to the vault if it's not already done by somebody else.
    Rohomild wrote: »

make shore to report the bugs to the vault if it's not already done by somebody else.

they were on the pages of them. but both modules authors are pretty much gone at this point.
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited September 2020
    Swordflight series (pay the man to finish ch5!) and ... probably Aielund saga.

I suspect Swordflight might be too challenging for most casual players these days; it feels like an old school vibe epic scale RPG ala Infinity Engine games (or even Pathfinder Kingmaker), though of course lacking full party control.

Aielund is also epic in scope, much, much easier, and feels more like you're with a party.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    I wish Fester Pot could be hired to finish up the Auren trilogy with the third installment as a Premium module. That is the one unfinished module series I still hold out hope for. Witch's Wake II wuld be a dream, of course, but seems impossible...
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Authors of Swordflight and Aielund both seem promising since they have both created high quality, much loved content and are still active community members.

But there are also a lot of lesser known module makers out there who produce amazing stuff with much less in the way of recognition. They deserve a shout out.
  • chevalierchevalier Member Posts: 51
    Anything really, and plenty of it. It would be a great thing if someone were so kind as to go through promising modules and take care of haks, CEP versions and all sorts of installation problems by creating a simple, easy installer. And go through known bugs to resolve them? Even better.

I'm kinda sad there isn't more going on.

I wouldn't actually mind a sort of subscription service. It wouldn't be difficult to crowd-finance a part-time or even full-time coder/fixer through community subscriptions, depending on how many people took part.

Crowdfunding a couple of people to keep creating modules full-time wouldn't be bad either.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited April 2021
    take care of haks, CEP versions and all sorts of installation problems by creating a simple, easy installer

@chevalier Do you mean something like Neverwinter Nights Mod Installer Tool - NIT? It does all of that for you. Seek and ye shall find.

TR
  • chevalierchevalier Member Posts: 51
    take care of haks, CEP versions and all sorts of installation problems by creating a simple, easy installer

@chevalier Do you mean something like Neverwinter Nights Mod Installer Tool - NIT? It does all of that for you. Seek and ye shall find.

TR

Yeah, well, I mean this from the user's side and so will use user terms, not developer/modder terms, meaning basically a wishlist sort of approach focusing on the desired end effect — I mean not having to check which of the many versions of CEP is required, not having to install and juggle multiple CEP versions. Better still, not having to manually download other community extensions, some of which may no longer be available (or at least may have relocated).

Thanks for the link. :)
    edited April 2021
    @chevalier NIT handles all the files needed in order to play any particular module. If you don't have a particular hak (or CEP) it will download and install it for you.

TR
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    I would love a new trilogy of small premium modules that would use only new/enhanced graphical assets and gradually start transforming the base game.

With full party control so it would actually feel like D&D to play rather than being forced to solo or watch your henchmen do stupid things with no control over them.

That would bump NWN: EE into the next level it needs to thrive again.
    edited April 2021
    @1varangian said
    With full party control

Only if I can turn it off and
    Only if it does not change NwN into turn based.

NwN is not Baldur's Gate, it is its own beast and I like it like that. Sure improve the AI but don't mess with how it plays.
    so it would actually feel like D&D to play

NwN is a Computer RPG, not a tabletop game. There are systems out there that come very close to emulating that experience but they require constant human interaction/intervention. Enjoy NwN for what it is and not what it isn't.

TR