Skip to content

NWN:EE for Silicon Macs?

Hello,

Are there any plans to release NWN:EE as a universal app for Silicon Macs?
I've heard there is some assembler code, hope this does not pose a big hurdle, or maybe it was ported to C.
MickMcKee

Comments

• Swbf2lordSwbf2lord Member Posts: 10
    I'm interested, as well. There is an iOS client, so perhaps some of that base could be used? Though, I'm not familiar with what NWN development looks like behind the scenes.
    Symphony
  • nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    Do you have one of these devices? Try running it with Rosetta2 and report back how well that works!
    JuliusBorisov
  • barkoneusbarkoneus Member Posts: 1
    Just got a new M1 MacBook Pro w/ 16 GB of RAM. I can report that NWN:EE runs great on it under Rosetta, probably better than it ran on my 2018 13" MacBook Pro (2.0GHz i5). Added bonus is that while before my fans were always crazy loud while playing, now the fans either aren't on, or are on but silent.

So I would not hesitate to upgrade to an M1 Mac if you play NWN:EE.

JuliusBorisovSymphony
  • darrenkitlordarrenkitlor Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2020
    There are some quirks: zooming will sometimes create a horseblinder/periscope effect where there's a circle around the character and anything else is blank screen. Disappears as you zoom in and out.

Nothing game breaking so far, just weird quirks. Runs maxed out with no fan noise.
    JuliusBorisov
  • jimdad55jimdad55 Member Posts: 75
    Runs maxed out with no fan noise.

That's good to know. My daughter bought the new MacBook air and watched 6 hours of streamed video a couple of nights ago without it throttling down ( there are no fans).

Only trouble for me then is the toolset. I currently use WINE for it so can't update to Catalina but when the new iMac with Apple Silicon arrives ( first quarter of next year?) I'm not sure I'll be able to resist.

JuliusBorisov
  • MickMcKeeMickMcKee Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2021
    Imagine how even better it would run if it was optimized for the M1 Chip ;)
    Like what they're doing for Baldur's Gate 3
    Post edited by MickMcKee on
  • SymphonySymphony Member, Developer Posts: 142
    jimdad55 wrote: »
    Runs maxed out with no fan noise.

That's good to know. My daughter bought the new MacBook air and watched 6 hours of streamed video a couple of nights ago without it throttling down ( there are no fans).

Only trouble for me then is the toolset. I currently use WINE for it so can't update to Catalina but when the new iMac with Apple Silicon arrives ( first quarter of next year?) I'm not sure I'll be able to resist.

It's not free, and I don't have this exact problem yet, but the only way I could say to go here would be to use Parallels.

I use wine for my mac for the toolset sometimes, but can't always trust it to display properly. Anything that goes wrong, like models displaying oddly or shadows being weird, is considered "It could just be WINE" until I can switch to Parallels (or my Windows bootcamp) to see if the issue persists.

I haven't been keeping up with M1 development, but I at the least remember seeing Parallels used in the pre-release demonstrations. By the time you or I may need/want an M1 Toolset solution, Crossover, which is where my WINE currently comes from, may also be compatible.
  • DesathDesath Member Posts: 2
    I just got the macbook air m1 today, and nwn ee crashes on startup for me (both through steam and direct) - rosetta installed and other apps using it fine. any tips on what could be going wrong for me? I have reinstalled and checked all files via steam, but no success :(
  • jimdad55jimdad55 Member Posts: 75
    Have a look here. @virusman has both game and toolset working on Crossover on the new M1 Mac so it must be possible.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/82450/toolset-for-mac-in-the-future#latest