Skip to content

Seeking Beta Testers | Is the NWNEE Patch (8193.19) Ready For Release?

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
edited November 2020 in News
We’re just about ready to ship Patch 8193.19 for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition— but we need your help to test the Beta!

Last month we shipped an epic patch with some huge graphical upgrades. This month we’re looking to tackle a few bugs that the big patch introduced, and improve the overall polish of our favorite RPG.

How to Participate:
In your Steam Library, Right-Click Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition and choose “Properties”
Click on the Beta Tab
Choose the build8193.19 in the drop down menu
Play the Beta on Steam
Vote Below!

Patch Highlights:
  • Fixes issue where Non-English voice overs played in English
  • Fixes several crashes in campaigns, menus & toolset
  • Refines the shaders and lighting renderers added in the last patch

Keep in mind, we plan to release future patches, so if a fix or feature you’re keen to see added isn’t here, we may be able to address it in a future update. The feedback we need from you today is to make sure this patch is stable and moves the game in the right direction!

Is Beta 8193.19 ready to release as a patch for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition on Steam?
  1. Seeking Beta Testers | Is the NWNEE Patch (8193.19) Ready For Release?21 votes
    1. Yes, it’s ready to release!
      90.48%
    2. No, it’s not ready (please explain).
        9.52%
ArviaAranthysDerpCityOldTimeRadioTarotRedhand

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    how much do we need to play to know that it is ready to release? the 3 main campaigns? Just the one? or does it only need to be able to load a game?
  • drillerdriller Member Posts: 17
    edited November 2020
    DestroyArea(OBJECT_INVALID) causes a crash. Not a show stopper, but it is unexpected behavior.

*Added explanation.

You asked to explain why. The DestroyArea() bug can cause issues for servers that use a lot of instancing.
    If they mistakenly try to cleanup an invalid area, it will cause a crash that might be difficult for some people to track down.
    Post edited by driller on
    JuliusBorisovDerpCity
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited November 2020
    @niv It is a relatively minor issue in the grand scheme of things, but Julius asked me to mention it to you, so here goes...

A while ago I reported an issue on the github tracker (issue #68) and it appeared to be closed due to being fixed. The issue was that texture animations would often not animate despite being turned on in the settings. I just tested this fix briefly, and noticed that, while most of the texture animations seem to work now, there is one specific type that still never seems to work. The one I am having trouble with still is the rippling animations that the "Spell Mantle" spells. It used to work 100% of the time in Diamond Version of the game but, as far as I can remember, it has never worked at all in the Enhanced Edition. I made some videos a while ago to demonstrate how it is different between the two versions.

Enhanced Edition behavior:

Diamond Version behavior:

I am specifically referring to the blue ring texture that appears around the character's feet after the spell casting has been completed (not the casting animations). In the Diamond Version, this blue ring appears to "ripple", while in the Enhanced Edition it is completely static and does not ripple. I am just curious as to why this one texture seems to refuse to animate like it used to.
    JuliusBorisovDerpCitySymphony
  • DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    edited November 2020
    @niv I was told to tag you if I found anything not working correctly.

I've noticed a change in the behavior of hardness for placeables, which I assume was caused by the change in Development Build 8139.18, though I didn't play that build and only found it while testing 8139.19. I've already reported it on the service desk, but I'll go over it below. Also, apologies if this has already been reported.

On the current patch, if you smack a placeable with a weapon, the weapon's physical damage (bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing) gets reduced by the object's hardness, but any bonus non-physical damage, such as Gloves of the Yellow Rose that have electrical damage, damages them as normal. As for spells, non-physical damage ignores an object's hardness.

On Dev Build 8193.19, however, it seems that hardness also affects the non-physical damage done by magic weapons. Additionally, spells that do non-physical damage report that their damage has been reduced, but don't actually seem to be reduced, considering Ray of Frost can't do 6 damage.

I accidentally voted "yes" in the poll, but I meant to vote no as I consider this a pretty major, and presumably unintentional, deviation from the original behavior, but I assume (or rather, hope) it should be simple enough to fix in the actual patch or in a subsequent hotfix.

In my example screenshots below, the armoire has 1000 hit points and 19 hardness. The dagger William Red is holding has a 20 Cold damage bonus applied to it, and the spell he is casting is Ray of Frost.
    j5shbx9b8ucl.png
    73kr7b8zrtpm.png
    pvem231n56nl.png
    b9qycc64uj6s.png
    Post edited by DerpCity on
    JuliusBorisovTresset
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    driller wrote: »
    DestroyArea(OBJECT_INVALID) causes a crash. Not a show stopper, but it is unexpected behavior.

*Added explanation.

You asked to explain why. The DestroyArea() bug can cause issues for servers that use a lot of instancing.
    If they mistakenly try to cleanup an invalid area, it will cause a crash that might be difficult for some people to track down.

Thanks, this is now a known issue, it will be fixed by one of the future patches.
  • drillerdriller Member Posts: 17
    Thanks Julius.
    JuliusBorisov
This discussion has been closed.