Skip to content

Zaram Maldovar's Poorly Played No-Reload Cemetery (Attempts #1-42)

Comments

• ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    My short July 23rd session summed up in a few words

odqyp2u75f2e.png
    vbwm6gsmlpp0.jpg
    Aerakarmonico
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    This run seems like a giant obituary :smiley:

Don't give up though, Gorndar at the very least seems to be doing fine :wink:
    AerakarZaramMaldovar
    @monico
    Only for Xzar :P

My run with Gorndar has been temporarily suspended as my laptop charger isnt working. I was also displaced in a house fire but didn't lose anything. I can still play on my other laptop but I don't have the Gorndar game on it.
    My laptop is working now but I need a mouse to play the game and unless a friend has one it'll be a while. I"m hoping for the best but it isn't looking good.

At least my games are still good though, they are just on Hiatus.
    Aerakar
    edited August 2020
    Guess who found his mouse (and it still works, I swear this thing can survive anything)

jhbu2ca81gvd.png

I think that might be the easiest time I've ever had dispatching these Flesh Golems

0oo7jmno8icq.png

This week on The Misadventures of Xzar and Montaron

7pcmgl4jdr7a.png

A rather lucky move that Montaron was so far away from the group (I'm investing more in traps later)

og7zab0ngri2.png

*Pokes Doom Guards* Bad Idea! Bad Idea! Retreat!

whn3iaaf0rk1.png

On this weeks episode of "Zaram Maldovar Never Seems to Learn His Lesson" watch Gorndar make a futile attempt to face 2 Dwarven Doom Guards (we managed to kill the other 2)

uzpeiecegyl3.png

Death: So let me get this straight? You poked 4 doom guards? When you could've easily came back later? Even though you were well equipped to beat the rest of the dungeon?

Gorndar: Yes

Death: (Wheezes) You're through to the afterlife...

Attempt #25: Xorris the Fighter/Mage Thief

14bh0uvan24r.png

Honestly I don't expect her to last long but I'm going to give it the old college try. Only problem is even without making stupid mistakes, I could very well die during the early game. Wish me luck
    Post edited by ZaramMaldovar on
    i0ualw0imce7.png

Disregard Nobles; Acquire Pantaloons

a8nt5v2qwo7e.png

Holy crap, Khalid destroyed that guy!

d58u36hnq9pc.png
    u1cokjgou6n2.png
    rkroigd4ptuo.png
    7anb92f824mv.png
    s1x8pu05qp2c.png
    crxl0u4ftker.png

A rather amusing conversation between Montaron and Khalid

4nfxwewzaciy.png

KFC: Kentucky Fried Commoner

oecnxwyg1j60.png

An embarassing near-TPK by Zordal of all foes (I feel violated)
    Aerakar
    nxzgl3wdx6r2.png

*Incoherent Screeching*

x15u0j9hnifu.png

So that didn't go as well as planned
    hfc4lu8vg38u.png

I legit can't remember why I took this screenshot but I'll take this time to notice that I apparently didn't save after taking the pre-game screenshot of Xorris. I'll fix the portrait during my next session

ovlhia6sj8gh.png

Well that's a handicap. I have zero idea how I survived that.

ybnx7w5qq26i.png

And zero idea how Dorn DIDN'T survive this. But this is actually I believe the 2nd time Dorn has died during one of my runs.

ibojixfetkr6.png

A rather amusing wild surge on Neera's part that actually ended up working in my favor.

h7925amhm2we.png

Rasaad steals my kill for the 2nd time in a row

bp3r2rwkb23y.png

I really haven't learned my lesson about not going to this map...but that Two Handed Sword +1 is just too tempting.

Aerakarmonico
    2pczbrs0dmkt.png

Made the pretty wise decision to switch Isra to the +2 War Hammer and abandon this death trap of a map

edmvg2kotx1f.png

I thought these guys only showed up if I was high level...well crap

o1f4puv9kiep.png

These guys followed me and I was lucky to survive

0atndq06clhu.png

Neera provides a rather amusing near-TPK

ty1r0cy896ek.png

I regret this dialogue choice.....REGRET!!!

l7lkd71mxnlh.png

Tazok absolutely destroys me (and has surprisingly high MR I might add)

So that's the end of that but you know me, I won't EVER give up

Attempt #26: Brekker the Beserker

x1b4ux055l60.png

I didn't have a very good photo but this is the one I'll be using for now, maybe it'll grow on me. (That was not intended to be a pun I swear to Ao)
    Aerakarmonico
    Update: I'm alive and well at my Mom's place (as of Aug 24th) for the foreseeable future after the fire but due to various issues my laptop that has access to the game has to be kept in a storage unit and I don't have another computer that can run Baldur's Gate so my playthroughs are still on hiatus for the foreseeable future. I probably won't log on very often but I just wanted to let everyone know I'm okay.
    energisedcamelAerakarmonicoAdam_en_tium
    So after nearly three months of trying I finally solved my Baldur's Gate problem. I still have yet to install cheat codes and I'm going to have to recreate Brekker and figure out the portrait problem but I should be able to start Attempt #26 very very soon.
    monico
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    Update: I'm alive and well at my Mom's place (as of Aug 24th) for the foreseeable future after the fire but due to various issues my laptop that has access to the game has to be kept in a storage unit and I don't have another computer that can run Baldur's Gate so my playthroughs are still on hiatus for the foreseeable future. I probably won't log on very often but I just wanted to let everyone know I'm okay.

Glad you're alright !

I'm looking forward for attempt #26 then. Good luck !
    ZaramMaldovarAerakar
    lams4f0lujuc.png
    psony7sals0f.png
    fbt57uwvacl3.png

I'm unsure as to the context but here are the three screenshots from my current run. I appear to be the woods near Nashkel atm. I shouldn't take too long to get my bearing and hopefully this won't effect my run. Wish me luck
    Aerakarmonico
    050hdx55a730.png

We met a woman named Neera and became unintentionally bound to protect her from unknown assislants. I did not however take up her offer to join the party. The forces of chaos are an enemy to nature and I will not allow them to accompany me.

i0njxmfch29k.png

AN: Garrick is struck by lightning and takes zero damage....how?!

ldclabnn7rbg.png

I abandoned Xzar and Montaron who proved to be agents of chaos in favor of a strongman named Kagain. He is not likely to provide the wisdom of my foster father's former companions but he will suffice for what must be done.

fxuflbw8ygdf.png

On our travels we encountered a man named Melicamp who can turned himself into a chicken. Wishing to the restore the balance we attempted to help him but failed. He has returned to the dust from whence he came, perhaps it will serve as a reminder to us all not to tamper with forces we do not understand.

k6hjsknnesbw.png

I encountered a drow named Viconia, this drow is strange among her kin as she too worships the night goddess Shar. Perhaps we shall form a kindred bond.

q2dl5eyvn34b.png

And so my journey ends, slain by a weak creature...yet somehow I can feel that the story continues. Perhaps in the next life I will succeed where my previous incarnations have failed.

AN: I can't believe I took 20 damage from a Gibberling! I've got to stop seeing these things as an afterthought.

Attempt #28: M'yrnn the Shapeshifter

ttss5dv66wuo.png

My name is M'yrnn and I am but a servant of the balance of nature, I can sense a previous life once cared for the balance but for far more sinister reasons. I do not seek revenge for my fallen predecessors, I merely seek to undo the wrongs of the world. Gorion seems concerned of the path we must take and that greatly worries me, perhaps even the powers nature has bestowed me are not strong enough to face what may come next, but I know one thing: I have to try.
    energisedcamelAerakarArviamonico
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    AN: I can't believe I took 20 damage from a Gibberling! I've got to stop seeing these things as an afterthought.
    Great rolls on both the attack roll (critical 20) and the damage (6 on 1d8), with the +4 bonus from attacking someone without a melee weapon equipped.

The lesson? Switch to a melee weapon when enemies close on you, even if they're just gibberlings. If you had, you would have only taken 12 damage - survivable. Even the maximum 16 wouldn't have killed you from full health.
    Adam_en_tiumZaramMaldovar
    @jmerry
    A mistake I realized far too late I'm afraid. I was going to not only switch to melee but also run away but I hesitated for a split second and that's all it took. Contrary to my terrible luck after my monumental success in Attempt #11, I have gotten better at learning from my mistakes....I just keep making new ones lol :P
    Get ready for a big image dump. I forgot to post for a while

u1744675tcju.png

We finally arrived in Nashkel and discovered more on the Iron Crisis. Whatever we are searching for lurks within the local mines.

xlq3u3jzzbrq.png

In Nashkel we found a ranger named Minsc who enlisted our help in finding his companion Dynaheir. Minsc is a strong and brave warrior but has proven to be unhinged. Keeping him in our party would prove to be danger than it is worth.

AN: I *Love* Minsc, but I'm trying to RP my character so I just don't think he would want Minsc in his party.

s22tdvqhax5z.png

We rescued Dynaheir and wished her along with Minsc good luck on their travels. Perhaps one day we shall see them again.

dqaeyg78ts5d.png

AN: Is that the 3rd or 4th time that Dorn has died during his recruitment battle? I've lost count.

vwnxz5gayear.png

AN: Oh and Neera died too, how lovely!

yrudgxnx9lpt.png

AN: Is this the *same* area that Senjak was in? I didn't even know that was possible.

xq6pwhqwixuo.png

I've started having nightmares...no, perhaps visions is a more accurate term and after several nights I can no longer hide them from my companions. Imoen worries greatly and perhaps she should for I have inexplicably gained innate powers I did not possess before.

8zgqlakbrhjt.png

AN: Ok see now that's just ridiculous

h1izaw33m66g.png

After defeating the Kobolds plaguing the mine and their master Mulahey, we discovered letters connecting the Iron Crisis to the increase in bandit activity. We also spoke with an elf wizard named Xan who informed us he was also sent to investigate the mines by a group known as the Greycloaks of Evereska. I know little of this group but any who are worthy of wielding a moonblade can be considered a friend of me.

308iv50xvww4.png

AN: Just realized I can dual-class Neera into a Thief. Food for thought certainly gives me a few ideas.

l0r7x2lvxuh7.png

AN: For once, Rasaad doesn't steal my kill.

rcxtkkuypg84.png

We left Neera under the protection of our good friend Firebead, perhaps one day he can teach her to better focus her wild magic. For now I sense that wherever we take Neera will not safe for any of us.

d7nydbcnabqt.png

Just north of the Friendly Arm whilst searching for the Bandit Camp we discovered a man named Ajantis, a Paladin of Athkatla's Order of the Radiant Heart. He is a noble man who also seeks to restore these lands to peace.

zohe0z1nhe9o.png

Everyone Hates Bassilus: Druid Edition!

jgyrmcxw5epo.png

AN: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

ufpwputxhk28.png

AN: Khalid gets a little toasty near the Ancient Ruins.

kve1p3x0ged1.png

AN: To make a long story short, I was NOT ready for those Three Ogre Mages, and I'm starting to think I really keep pushing my luck here.

i3z1ypwrmu4k.png

After clearing the Bandit Camp, I continue to dream and gain more powers, I have spoken to both Imoen and Xan about this and they are highly concerned. Xan believes the gods are enacting some sort of divine punishment against me, though for what reason I cannot say.

x0bplk72pp2m.png

In the Cloakwood we negotiated a peace between a noble by the name of Aldeth Sashentar and a group of druids who once knew Jaheria. They have tasked us with finding an enclave of Shadow Druids and destroying them whilst rescuing one of their own. I know of these Shadow Druids, dark creatures of the order who seek to maintain the balance through dark magic and needless bloodshed. They must be stopped at all costs.

pitsjsw0s993.png

AN: I can never seem to get through these woods without springing at least one of these web traps.

um8dfskkr743.png

AN: And of course going up against this Hamadryad, the one fighter who doesn't have any charm protection is the one that ends up being targeted. Luckily I have some charm spells of my own, unluckily Xan did not survive the forthcoming battle against the Shadow Druids and now I'm stuck near the Friendly Arm with no money to resurrect my dead mage. So that's fun!
    energisedcamelAerakarArvia
    1fehbmiu45fm.png

After defeating the Shadow Druids, we returned to Seniyad and his circle. We received a powerful club in exchange. Now I believe it is time to finish my investigation of the Cloakwood, though I suspect this plot is far deeper than I could have ever imagined.

f9ypzvrhzm3p.png

AN: A very persistent Bandit has excellent timing

9l5c1sgl55ra.png

AN: I literally *just* resurrected you.
    Arvia
    q5b2tdpjxls3.png

AN: So a few mistakes here and a few mistakes there and I've been costed another run. Shame, being a shapeshifter was actually kind of fun.

Still, I subject myself to constant torment :P for you guys and I refuse to give up.

AN: I think I'm going to stop the Journals (unless I really feel like doing a post in character) because I feel like it's more fun to make random commentary. I hope that doesn't disappoint too many people. I'm still RPing my characters, I promise.

Attempt #29: Thorne the Fighter/Thief

aj18kp3s5ja9.png

AerakarArvia
    atzf9dhux5tr.png

Man, I love Auto Pause. It's so useful

yioij2qtojd6.png

And with the recruitment of Verr'sza I have my early game temporary party.

7vokixbwpvpw.png

But maybe recruiting Verr'sza wasn't such a good idea, I'm not exactly sure what happened but this guy he sent me up against killed me pretty quickly right before the party killed him.

vbwm6gsmlpp0.jpg

I don't have Attempt #30 created yet, but I'll have it up soon. It's easy to be overwhelmed and discouraged sometimes and I wanted to take a break for a few days. I promise myself a long time ago I'd never give up and I'll be ready. I feel good about this one.
    Arvia
    Attempt #30: Tredik the Priest of Tempus

htomocxchooa.png

So here is. His name means Thirty in Esperanto. I'm not even entirely sure where that language is spoken but I wanted to do this so I used Google Translate until I found an awesome name.
    AerakarArvia
    9zm2554qcs43.png
    gcn263frmayl.png
    71m5oumjk046.png

As this point I should just expect It, lol.

Attempt #31: Zhindra the Cleric/Thief

p60e0w00eww1.png

Another class I've always wanted to give a try, but I'm going to try to be a lot more careful with this one.
    AerakarArviaAdam_en_tium
    ghv1owxqkokb.png

Khalid shows the Red Wizards of Thay who's b-b-b-boss

bmztb2x8tymw.png

Umm....run?!

41gisigvst0u.png

Never change, Minsc. Never Change.

5mb6z6nl5bal.png

Dododododo....another Dorn bites the dust

bckj2751hd3b.png

Gods damn it, Rasaad; you kill stealing....

8sr8c6zdx516.png

Dynaheir falls victim to a stray spear (and this after having to resurrect Minsc three times on this map alone and my computer lagging and crashing the game over and over again, it was not a good couple of days)

en6ptbzzca71.png

Did I say something wrong? Legit question, I'm confused.

ujxje3vhbkj5.png

Strategic retreat! I'm not quite certain I can take the whole Bandit Camp right at this moment.

And on that note, Attempt #31 will be going on hiatus as I will be doing a Narrative Minimal Reload run using my character from Attempt #6 as the author. I hope you enjoy and don't worry, the adventures of Zhindra will return.
    Arvia
    nz67prw17p47.png
    yh3dpg3t6rwd.png

Thanks in no small part to Jaheria's poison club, I was able to nab the XP for killing Shoal and Droth even though I took the noble option!

f66b8ac175zm.png

How about a screenshot of the Carrion Crawlers that almost cost me my run!

z55gj0v299ec.png

Or how about the well-placed Black Talon Elites that did!

Attempt #32: Troughton the Cleric/Thief (Plays Recorder)

qn33vycxmgug.png

gp4e2jco1bb8.png

*Incoherent Rage*

wc570sl231su.png

Replaced Neera with Valerie in Nashkel and was pleasantly surprised by this interaction with the non-Bhaalspawn but still very much hostile woman named Sendai.
    AerakarArvia
    Edit: Fixed a small error wherein the title of the thread was Attempt #32: Troughton the Recorder.

Can you tell I'm a fan? Lol
    npmmoed3mq7u.png

Does anyone else hate that the Greywolf fight leaves you with no choice as to your lineup when you fight him?

Attempt #33: Buffy the Undead Hunter (I'm so glad that this one was female so I could make this joke)
    hhcz1taiseil.png

te4hrdxcs0iu.png

A promising AC from the start

c3w8tj94xwkm.png

Tethtoril is blind apparently and doesn't notice I'm already talking to Gorion

kqvo8tl60c78.png

Poor Melicamp, anyone for Nashkel Fried Chicken?

d5gesp353r8m.png

There's something great about leveling up from helping this ungrateful twit.
    Grond0AerakarArvia
    I've been gone for a while so these screenshots might appear jumbled. I've also forgotten the complete context.

bbw2rvv3j5fc.png

Khalid gets roasted (This was actually before the previous screenshot)

o6sf1phybp7d.png

And.....there goes another Dorn

99hcm4fj0nsm.png

Greywolf is the bane of my early game existence, I swear to Gods.

Attempt #34: Discord the Illusionist (If you don't see what I did there..I'm disappointed)

6tjw2n7bqcot.png
    7lsg7qjby8hb.png

p715ylvciz0l.png

If you can't deal with the problem yourself....outsource it.

zr20ovfx7584.png

And this is what happens when you don't outsource it

Attempt #35: Kithra the Fighter/Cleric

ptnym0gcwfy2.png

v2iwrprdrtm9.png
    3037launyr0v.png

That awkward moment when you crush Silke and then get curb stomped by a lowly pack of Gnolls :(
    ArviaAerakar
    My Friends, it has been too long since Boo and I have seen you!

It's been a few months, I've been through a lot: Some depressive episodes, visiting some friends in Alaska, looking for jobs (found one for a little while), I went on my first ever date and then a second one (she only wants to be friends but that's cool with me, at least I made progress) and I just thoroughly had a varied experience.

But I'm fully vaccinated and trying to put effort into my life and I'm also ready to start my No-Reload Thread again. Unfortunately I've lost track of what classes I've used and what classes I haven't so I'm going to be starting at square one and restoring every class to the board...wish me luck.

*Drumroll please*

Attempt #36: Armund the Illusionist

muh41wlg4tco.png

Don't expect this one to last folks but I will be trying my best.
    ArviaAerakarGrond0monico