Skip to content

Bug in House Jae'llat.

I’ve just killed everyone in House Jae’llat, and immediately encounter a bug. Edwin died during the battle, and I use the Rod of Resurrection to revive him. It was alright at first, but at some point he becomes these “lumps”. Now after the battle I can’t give him commands to do anything, even moving. When I pull up his inventory his avatar is also not there. Is there any fix for problem like this?

1q2he2s847bp.gif
Isewein

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Most likely the character has been chunked but it hasn't registered fully.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited December 2020
    That's kind of disturbing in a Herbert West - Reanimator sort of way... ?
    ZaxaresIsewein
  • ensbanaensbana Member Posts: 80
    I ended up fighting them again. So it’s all good.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Most likely the character has been chunked but it hasn't registered fully.
    I have a reproducible procedure, though not a practical occurrence:
    1. Apply chunking death and Maze effect on same tick.
    2. Quicksave. (DO NOT pause or enter any other screen prior).
    3. Load quicksave.
    4. Use Raise Dead / Rod / Resurrect on dead party member.
    5. Party member has chunked animation but still remains in party.

@ensbana
    For the short-term, any Polymorph/Shapechange effect will allow Edwin to move normally.
    For the long-term,
    • If you have access to the console: C:Eval('Polymorph(MAGE_MALE_HUMAN)') over his portrait.
    • If you have access to a save editor (NI/EEkeeper), change his animation to MAGE_MALE_HUMAN.
    You will also have to reset his characters colors, which can only be done through a save editor.
    (Being chunked sets all color indexes to this nice reddish gore color).
    ensbana
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    kjeron wrote: »
    For the short-term, any Polymorph/Shapechange effect will allow Edwin to move normally.

As long as it doesn't crash the game and break the save. Stacking two or more polymorph/animation change effects on the same character tends to do that, and your entire party is already under one for the Ust Natha sequence.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited December 2020
    jmerry wrote: »
    As long as it doesn't crash the game and break the save. Stacking two or more polymorph/animation change effects on the same character tends to do that, and your entire party is already under one for the Ust Natha sequence.
    If Edwin was under the effects of Adalon's Drow-Form it would have persisted after being chunked.

FYI - the crash reported here is not reliant on multiple polymorph effects, all it requires is the following:
    • Any Polymorph effect
    • Offhand: any weapon/shield
    • Mainhand(any slot): any two-handed melee weapon.
    Neera and Viconia have a Two-handed melee weapon (SotM and Carsomyr) in their weapon slots, with a weapon in their offhand, removing these two will stop the crashes. (They have these weapons in their 3rd weapon slot, which isn't visible without altering their class or NUMWSLOT.2DA.)
    You can also block the crashing by casting a spell like Flame Blade on both of them, as the Magical Weapon Slot's priority will prevent the other slots from being checked. (Just don't cast a spell that creates a two-handed weapon in the Magical Weapon Slot). A cursed one-handed weapon may work as well, but never checked.
    It is somehow involved with the Equipment Comparison, as an unidentified BMU can be picked up and equipped without crashing, just not on Viconia. (Unidentified items do not trigger the Equipment Comparison when picked up).

The EE code that normally disables the offhand when a two-handed melee weapon is equipped is choking somewhere involving polymorphs.
    Repo:
    1. Start new ToB game with Abdel.
    2. Drop all equipment except Arbane and Amulet of Seldarine.
    3. Equip Arbane in offhand, leave mainhand empty.
    4. C:Eval('ReallyForceSpell(Myself,WIZARD_POLYMOPRH_FLIND)')
      (Flind uses a two-handed melee weapon)
    5. Open Inventory.
    6. Attempt to pick up the Amulet of Seldarine.
    7. Crash.
    8. Repeat with WIZARD_POLYMOPRH_OGRE
      (Ogre uses a one-handed melee weapon)
    9. No Crash.
    A similar crash does NOT occur in BGSoD (or likely BGEE), even after importing the relevant files ("SPWI493.SPL" and "PLYFLIND.ITM") from BG2EE (they are different), so this might be something that was fixed in v2.5.17.x (while BG2EE is still on v2.6.16.x).
    jmerryStummvonBordwehr
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Thanks. That clears things up somewhat, and leaves me with high hopes for it being fixed in BG2EE when 2.6 is released. Maybe I'll be able to get back to my transformation-themed run when that happens.