Skip to content

Are civilization loving rangers real?

So rangers are woodsmen by and large, and have a reputation for being nature lovers.

I hear in the earliest editions, a ranger's thing was that they'd explore the deepest ranges of the untamed wilds, and tame it. Far from nature preservationists, they'd be paving the way for their employers to send more men and pillage these natural resources. Is there any truth to that?

Comments

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Thank you guys. This has all been quite informative.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Rangers are pretty versatile roleplay options, even with strict alignment. I tend to play mine like a Paladin that travels the wilderness. Someone who looks for lost travellers and protects villages from threats long before anyone is even aware the threat is there. They do lean a bit more towards nature in priority though. Like say, protecting a Dryad's grove from hunters and stuff like that.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    I read something about some rangers being infatuated with the treasures and riches of the unexplored world at some point.

That's a concept I've had in the backburner for a bit. Like a One Piece Strawhat type just out there to claim the unclaimed.

It kind of rings true with the Forgotten Realms to me. The idea that out there in the deepest wilds you could find some fountain of youth or some temple of a forgotten god or something. Some repository filled with awesome stuff that belongs to nobody in particular.

There are a couple points in the Baldur's Gate series where that's basically what you're doing anyway. Durlag's Tower is just some death trap a madman built in the middle of nowhere and filled cool stuff before dying and leaving it all for anybody enterprising enough to to fully plumb its depths.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Chronicler "I read something about some rangers being infatuated with the treasures and riches of the unexplored world at some point.

That's a concept I've had in the backburner for a bit. Like a One Piece Strawhat type just out there to claim the unclaimed."

That was my Pillars of Eternity Ranger! I've also run Rangers as zoologists, monster hunters, and even archaeologists.