Skip to content

Question: Ending Cinematic of BG:II - Men around table?

This has bugged me for years, just who are these guys? What were they planning? Were they an early idea for an antagonist in the next squeal?

There may be a perfectly clear explanation in the games that I've somehow just always missed. Anyone have any ideas or insights?
iosfrustration

Comments

• IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    I always figured it was Balthazar's associates.
    iosfrustration
  • UlshUlsh Member Posts: 17
    Isewein wrote: »
    I always figured it was Balthazar's associates.

Same here. I understand that the development of ToB was rushed and the Five (and the other antagonists) were supposed to be much more fleshed out than they ended up. Maybe we would have seen an explanation for that council if they'd had the time to realize all the plans they had for the expansion.
    iosfrustration
  • iosfrustrationiosfrustration Member Posts: 153
    The development of BG2 and TOB were both rushed at the end and enormous amounts of content were cut.
    You can see signs of this all through the game. The twisted rune makes no sense at all, the mysterious compound in the temple district takes up half the map, is loaded with interesting gear and characters, and is connected to nothing. The mages stronghold is detailed, the paladins stronghold is... the stables? There were lots of interviews with the devs at the time, will see if I can dig some up.

A lot of the cutscenes were created early in development, and by the time the game was done they made less sense, or prominently featured characters who were far less important. But cut scenes are (were) expensive to make, so they threw them in anyway :-)

I would have loved to see the game as it was originally intended by the designers. But on the other hand the final result is one of the best games ever made, so maybe those cuts were for the best.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I had always thought the people around the table were meant to be the Six, but the cinematic was made before Bioware had really fleshed out who they were going to be.
    ThacoBellmegamike15
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Agree with Zaxares.
  • UlshUlsh Member Posts: 17
    Now that you mention it, that makes sense too. Thing is, I always thought there were 7 at the table but looking closer I see that one chair is empty. Wonder if that had any significance.
    It's also funny that they mention "THE child of Bhaal" if they all are...
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    they are the five but their designs weren't finalized yet.

a comparison i like was to one piece and when they introduced the warlords of the seas. one of them was female but all the shadows were cleary male.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    That's why I thought it was Balthazar's monks rather than the Five, otherwisse "The Child of Bhaal" would make precious little sense.
  • SirickSirick Member Posts: 92
    So consensus seems to be an early concept of The Five?
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    Isewein wrote: »
    That's why I thought it was Balthazar's monks rather than the Five, otherwisse "The Child of Bhaal" would make precious little sense.

maybe the five weren't originally bhaalspawn when that scene was made?