Skip to content

PC´s using crossbow

jmkarlssonjmkarlsson Member Posts: 30
Hi I would like to request that someone make a mod that would exchange some BG:EE warriors ranged proficiency from longbow to crossbow if the warrior in question has 12+ strength but not 18 strength as this type of warrior can use a heavy crossbow but not the composite longbow.

PS. I would exclude elves from this due to their elven bonus with longbows.

Comments

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Member Posts: 176
    Are you talking about NPCs that can join the party, or random NPCs that can't join the party?
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    edited January 2021
    Not many NPCs that this would apply to actually. Only warriors can use composite bows, bards can use longbow if they are strong enough.

TL;DR is that it would only change Khalid and Ajantis. No mod needed just use EEkeeper to edit the NPC proficiency.

There are 10 BG NPCs and 2 SoD only NPCs who can use bows and have Str between 12 and 18.

Could change:
    Montaron but he does not default to bow proficiency so N/A
    Voghiln but he does not default to bow proficiency so N/A
    Garrick but he has crossbow proficiency so N/A
    Kagain but he has crossbow proficiency so N/A
    Khalid would be changed
    Ajantis would be changed

Would not change due to your criteria:
    Eldoth has special poison arrow crafting which requires bow to use
    Coran is an elf
    Dorn can use composite and has crossbow proficiency
    Kivan can use composite
    Minsc can use composite
    Shar-Teel can use composite
    Corwin can use composite
  • jmkarlssonjmkarlsson Member Posts: 30
    edited January 2021
    Not many NPCs that this would apply to actually. Only warriors can use composite bows, bards can use longbow if they are strong enough.

TL;DR is that it would only change Khalid and Ajantis. No mod needed just use EEkeeper to edit the NPC proficiency.

There are 10 BG NPCs and 2 SoD only NPCs who can use bows and have Str between 12 and 18.

Could change:
    Montaron but he does not default to bow proficiency so N/A
    Voghiln but he does not default to bow proficiency so N/A
    Garrick but he has crossbow proficiency so N/A
    Kagain but he has crossbow proficiency so N/A
    Khalid would be changed
    Ajantis would be changed

Would not change due to your criteria:
    Eldoth has special poison arrow crafting which requires bow to use
    Coran is an elf
    Dorn can use composite and has crossbow proficiency
    Kivan can use composite
    Minsc can use composite
    Shar-Teel can use composite
    Corwin can use composite

I know that I can use EEkeeper to edit their proficiencies if I could download it but it has always failed to download for me so that is why I asked for it as I am tired of not being able to use crossbows with a good(ish) aligned party without wasting a proficiency point.

Update:
    I have finally been able to download EEkeeper so how do I edit Khalid and Ajantis so that they will use the crossbow from the start so I don't have to edit the save file?
    Post edited by jmkarlsson on
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    jmkarlsson wrote: »

Update:
    I have finally been able to download EEkeeper so how do I edit Khalid and Ajantis so that they will use the crossbow from the start so I don't have to edit the save file?

That is more into modding territory, might need something like Near Infinity to edit the base character files for permanently changing the desired proficiencies. Someone who knows what they are doing might be able to give you something to pop into your override folder to make this happen.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    jmkarlsson wrote: »
    Update:

IIRC there is a function called “edit creature file” and you should be able to find the npc character files in there. Often (if not always) there is more than one file for each npc, so you need to pick the right one. In my experience it’s usually the one with the lowest exp point value, but admittedly it’s always been trial and error for me.
  • ShirakShirak Member Posts: 84
    It is much smarter (and safer) to just edit your saved file, rather than mess with the .cre files. Especially considering your level of basic modding expertise.

So just get Khalid and Ajantis into your party, adjust their weapon proficiencies using EEKeeper from your saved game, and move on.

It is much easier to open 1 x saved game in EEKeeper and just 2 sets of weapon proficiencies, vs opening EEKeeper, opening 3 x 2 .cre files and adjusting a total of 6 sets of weapon proficiencies.

In any case, before you do anything, ask yourself WHY you're doing this. Whatever you change in BGEE, won't follow you for the rest of the trilogy all the way to BG2EE. Ajantis isn't even in SOD, and you get Khalid very late in SOD.

So you are going through all this trouble just to use the Army Scythe? Bearing in mind that most smart players will never get the Guide in BGEE, cos siding with Aldeth gets you Kondar, which is much more useful (and important), and lots more xp as well.

Crossbows only turn godly in BG2EE when you can get the Firetooth +4/+5, making all your efforts pretty irrelevant.