Skip to content

To test or not to test, that is the question

StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,356
edited January 2021 in The Road to 2.6
The Road to 2.6 is long and narrow. And filled with bugs and play testing.

A question whether the forum was alive and well, sparked an interesting discussion: Does all people have the capacity and skill for testing?

I am a tester.... but just for mobiles (iOS) only, so I am sitting this one out (and I am not the very best tester in the world to be honest).

But I am mightily pleased to read the threads on the testing of the 2.6 patch. I see many post from a lot of different poster, who are doing one hell of job play testing and documenting the bugs. A big round of applause to you all. Thank you.

But back to the interesting question: I don’t have a clear cut view on the whole testing or not testing issue? Should we all do it, or isn’t ok to sit this one out if one don’t have the skills?

Comments

• MiraStastnyMiraStastny Member Posts: 813
    Sorry, there's no grand dilemma.

Paying customers are under no obligations (not even moral) to act as free testers, even if they have all the skills in the world.

And I would assume that for most fans who double as testers, it's basically a hobby (still, big props to them).
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited January 2021
    Mirak wrote: »
    Sorry, there's no grand dilemma.

Paying customers are under no obligations (not even moral) to act as free testers, even if they have all the skills in the world.

It is also true that no one suggested that customers have any such obligation, so I don't see what the big fuss is about. Plenty of people are happily willing and able to volunteer to help, and good for them. For those who feel offended by the totally 0 obligation, and honestly, IMHO, quite generous offering of an open beta, I really don't know what to say, other than "Don't help if you don't want to; no one is forcing you to do so with a gun to your head". Open betas are in no way, shape, or form a novel concept in the game developing world, nor are they solely used by Beamdog. I have seen plenty of other companies, including some big names, use open betas. Nothing wrong at all with relying at least partially on altruism to get a job done...

The way I see it, various people will complain no matter what Beamdog does and no matter how they do it. Probably best for them to just do what works best for them and take feedback as it comes.

So indeed, there is no grand dilemma. Help if you want to; don't if you don't.
  • oakheartoakheart Member Posts: 65

But IE games fans, and this forum regulars, in particular, have always been very enthusiastic about these games. It's no joke that the game first released in 1998 is still popular in 2021. The modding community has been doing wonders. Players who like challenges have been documenting their attempts for many years. This is why it sounded like a good idea to come to the community openly and provide beta builds for you to test - if you really want it. Maybe as a hobby. Maybe for other reasons. Whatever they are, we're very grateful.

Yep, seconding this. IMHO, IWD is the most perfect version of computerised AD&D; it's still a masterpiece after all these years in terms of the art, the music, the atmosphere, and the ability to feed the imagination. I've been playing the game for 20-odd years and I still find new things, or new ways to enjoy it. Long may it continue!