Skip to content

Soloing the full saga - F/M/T or F/M?

Heya!

Having recentlY soloed IWE I’m now planning a solo playthrough of the full EE saga on insane difficulty.

My plan was to use a F/M/T character, but now I’m having some doubts. Thing is, with my (strongly) preferred playstyle I don’t use the things that make the Thief part so powerful - I never use stealth (and thus backstabs) or traps. With this constrain in mind I’m wondering if an Elven F/M or Gnomish F/I would not be a much better choice.

What would I miss out on if I skip the Thief? I.e are there locked doors and chests I will not be able to either bash or cast Knock on? I realize I’ll lose some XP from this, but I’m a bit of a completionist and don’t want to leave areas and chests unexplored just because I can’t open them.

One main reason I planned the F/M/T was the Use Any Item high level ability, but I also have the feeling it’s not as useful as I remember it, especially for a F/M/T.

Any thoughts, insights or advice very welcome! :)

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    If you go F/M choose true neutral for the rabbit familiar. It can take care of many of the traps for you. You can even boost its skill a bit with the Luck spell!

There's also an exploit where you can have your familiar (rabbit, ferret or cat) pickpocket potions and/or wands and use them from their quickslots. If you don't mind cheating a bit...
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Spike traps and unlock/disarm XP come to mind right away, along with the opportunity to pickpocket your way through scroll vendors and the Copper Coronet. There are also some places like Durlag's Tower which are quite difficult to navigate without a thief in the party, which would have to be you since you're talking about a solo run. But FM is plenty strong as well and you can certainly finish the game with one if you so choose.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    If I were doing it I would think of which items/skills I need to win the final battle in ToB and work backwards from there. And given that soloing involves a certain amount of pre-knowledge my first thought would be Spike Traps! So I would go FMT.
  • VicissitudeVicissitude Member Posts: 47
    edited February 2021
    For anyone caring about the F/M style, the Blade is something to consider. This is especially true if you like spike traps.

OP said he didn't care about stealth and traps so he won't mind that the Blade doesn't have those built in from the start. Being true neutral will help out with locks as mentioned before plus the Blade will get Use Any Item and Offensive/Defensive Spins which are great for soloing, not to mention fast-leveling. It's a strong option.
    Post edited by Vicissitude on
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Not a fan of triple-class MCs personally, but going solo I'd probably take FMT just for the convenience of being able to do basically everything. UAT I guess is less needed when you're already having access to things from three classes. Personally I love traps though, I use them a lot (especially early game) to give an EXP boost from killing ie Elminster etc.

Never soloed all the way with neither FM nor FMT, so not sure my advice amounts to much though :) The furthest I've taken a FMT was through SOD and an F/I gnome up to maybe halfway through SoA.

Good luck, hope you get a great run whatever character you end up choosing.