Skip to content

[v1.53] Helga, a Dwarven Priestess of Haela Brightaxe for BG:EE and SoD and EET

Comments

• SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,054
    1.46 is a minor update.
    -Removed an unnecessary pause timer.
    -Adjusted how song audio fires so it can be interrupted by my other NPCs song audio.
    Gusinda
    1.47 is also a minor update:
    -Added 1 crossmod with AionZ's Aura
    GusindaFina92xiaoleiwen
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Member Posts: 176
    The latest master on GitHub has two copies of Setup-Helga.tp2. One is located in the main Helga folder, while the other is located in the Lib subfolder. The one in the main folder has 375 rows, while the one in the Lib subfolder only has 369 rows. Are both needed, or can I safely delete one? Having both is causing Project Infinity some problems.

@Skitia @ALIEN
    The one in the lib folder shouldn't be there. I'll delete it real quick.
    Thanks!
    edited August 2020
    Kit testing feedback for the Priest of Haela @Skitia
    • The Hurl Stone ability description in the kit description is not quite correct in the uses / day section
      -May Cast Hurl Stone Once Per Day. Gains one use at level one and an additional use every five levels thereafter.
      The character with the kit gets a use at level 1, then a second at level 5 (only 4 levels after 1). The correct wording for all the nitpickers out there would be
      -May Cast Hurl Stone Once Per Day. Gains a use at level one, level 5, and an additional use every five levels thereafter.
    • In the description for hurl stone you can also remove the word "direct" from "direct magic damage" as the game just uses "magic damage" for things like Magic Missile or other spells that do untyped magic damage. Note that the creature is knocked unconscious for 2 rounds, not just knocked down. This could matter for other abilities which affect unconscious creatures, but not just creatures that are stunned or knocked back.
    • This change will also need to be made in the right click text for the ability description
    • Slight typo corrections and clean-up of phrasing in Flamebolt in bolded section which now reads "The caster is treated as a fighter with mastery in the weapon."
      FLAMEBOLT: The priest calls forth a holy two-handed blade of flame named after Haela Brightaxe's favored weapon. The caster is treated as a fighter with mastery in the weapon. The magic weapon does 1d10+1 fire damage per 5 levels, with a THACO bonus of 3. These are all improved by one every ten levels. The blade acts at a speed factor of nine and lasts for one turn. During this turn, the priest cannot cast any spells.
      This change will need to be made in the right click text description of the ability.
    • Same wording correction in the Flamebolt uses/day text for nitpickers.
      -May Cast Flamebolt Once Per Day. Gains a use at level one, level 10, and an additional use every ten levels thereafter.
    • Clean integration with Refinements HLAs.

Awesome feedback. I'll see about cleaning up the text for the update coming next week.
    edited August 2020
    Helga 1.48 Includes
    -Banter Compatibility for EET. (I will reach out to the Masterlists so it can finally be added under compatible, I can't think of any other EET issues remaining.)
    -Cleaning up of the Kit Info thanks to @Caedwyr
    -Probably some undocumented spelling fixes in other places.

Like her counterparts, Helga should have at least some test version of her BG2 content out this month. (Pending lack of distractions!). No particular inspirations for Helga's story elements, though I wanted to script out a simple set of arena fights for a more action-controlled quest for her. Of all of my character's, she's the most open to violence as an answer to anything and everything, including getting rich enough to get to Brynnlaw.
    megamike15Fina92Gusinda
    Very minor, non-consequential 1.49 Update:
    -Silenced No More: Helga can now use spells while wielding Flamebolt.
    --While playing through BG2 to find NPCs to add interjections with, I've gone back and forth on allowing her to cast on it or not, and ultimately decided to let her cast again. It should make things a little easier in situations where Flamebolt turns out to not be the solution to a problem at hand. The kit descriptions have been updated accordingly.
    Gusinda
    1.5 Update is just a minor bugfix for SoD:
    -No longer loses xp when joining the party. (Kale and Vienxay do not have this issue.)
    Something that might be worthy of some crossmod content is between Helga and Brandock by @jastey . The main thing of note between them is that the two of them are both encountered right next to each other and it would be nice if the two mods recognized this. Perhaps something along the lines of one or the other hearing voices and joining the conversation. Since Helga has just killed an ogre, it might make more sense for Brandock to be the one joining into the conversation.
    I'm not familiar with Brandock. I'd have to try otu the mod first and then get Jastey's permission, but I can add it in future considerations!
    jastey
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    I'm not familiar with Helga's content yet either. But if she just killed an ogre than that would fit perfectly because Brandock is in search to kill one (the one that is on the map originally). I am imagining his face when he realizes that he was waiting right next to someone who would have sufficed alone for the task.
    @Skitia likewise, if I come up with something I'll come back to you. I'm not sure when I'll come to this, though. But Bandock just has to react to Helga mentioning an ogre.
    @Caedwyr thanks for the idea!
    edited January 2021
    As an aside, I updated this mod to 1.51 to fix a major bug I found:
    -Fixed a bug that caused Helga vanishing from the start of SoD.
    Not necessary to redownload this mod if you've already past the start of SoD. As an aside, it's only necessary to do the save/reload fix for the start of SoD if you are importing a save. Games played through BG:EE naturally don't need the save/reload.
    ilduderino
    Did another 1.52 update.
    A minor fix that only matters for EET playthroughs. No need to redownload if you're playing EET, or are playing EET and are in SoD.
    Gusinda
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 480
    Hello, thank you for another well made NPC !

I was wondering about Helga's berserker ability when low hit points, is it a feature from her kit or a special ability for her only ?

I also encountered a dialogue loop between Helga and Alora (Helga version 1.5) :
    when Helga says to Alora that cute glances will not always save her
    each new banter between my NPC was always this one, so I tried to add the variable "X3HELGAALORA=1"to my savegame, and then it was fixed.
    Thanks, I'll fix it.

The berserker ability happens once a day when her hitpoints are low, it's a special script for her only to show her personality, and isn't part of her class.
    Trouveur
    It was a nice surprise, at first I was wondering why is she glowing red ?
    edited February 2021
    Helga 1.53 includes:
    -Fix to Alora/Helga dialogue loop.
    -Added new custom Helga art by @Acifer . Thank you for your creation! (Also added into BG2.) You can still use the old NWN portrait if you like by indicating you want the NWN version during installation.
    Post edited by Skitia on
    Acifer
    The new portrait is beautiful.
    Acifer
    edited February 2021
    Skitia wrote: »
    Not necessary to redownload this mod if you've already past the start of SoD. As an aside, it's only necessary to do the save/reload fix for the start of SoD if you are importing a save. Games played through BG:EE naturally don't need the save/reload.
    Hello, I did a full reinstall with Helga 1.50 just days before you updated it to 1.51, so I don't have this fix, and just encoutered this bug.

Is there a way to fix it without reinstalling the mod ? I have many mods installed after Helga so it would probably mess up my current game.
    For your playthrough, you'd probably have to wait to meet Helga again in Chapter 8 amongst the Dwarves of Dumathoin. She'd have everything she was carrying on her, at least, so it would just be her leaving two areas too soon.

Otherwise you'd have to remove the erroneous escapearea line she has associated with the first area you start in SoD within Nearinfinity, but that's pretty advanced, and wouldn't work if your save is past the point of the bug.

My recommendation is to download the new version over the old files, then reinstall. Reinstalls usually go better than uninstalls->installs, since removing it changes string order/custom kit install order, etc.
    Thank you, I tried reinstalling but after that my savegame crashed.

I did a backup before testing, and since I can met Helga later, I will just try that.
    I recently completed a playthrough of BG1 with my game book club and Helga as well as all of your mods were very well received.

Recorder, Helga, Vienxay, Kale, Emily NPCs: Skitia's BG1 NPCs and very high in quality. No one took one of these NPCs with them for their final party, but I think everyone took at least some of Skitia's NPCs part of the way through the story. Except Emily. Two people took Emily and really liked her. Very much worth it even if you don't plan on taking them, for the little sidequests and texture to the world. These are going on every install of mine in the future.
    Acifer
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    I have just got to the end of BG:EE, and have loved playing with Helga. When I got to the SOD Helga wasn't there. Emily has transferred to the prologue with no problems. Is this supposed to happen?
    I've played the final battle again to make sure she hadn't died suddeny without me spotting it - but the same thing happened again and she was definitely alive.
    If you're playing with an old version of Helga, I remember this being a bug I fixed.
    Skitia wrote: »

I'm also working on updating their PID to have a line to fix audio strings if you have the mod installed and updated from 2.5 -> 2.6 before delving into finally working on BG2 mods.
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    edited April 2021
    @Skitia Thanks for such a prompt reply. I can't find anything to tell me the version of Helga I have, but I think I downloaded it on 20/01/21 - but this may have just been the date I set up a new folder :(
    Also I played this game through naturally - not importing a saved game, but going straight from the final battle.
    Post edited by kiwidoc on
    If you choose not to redownload it, On the plus side you'll see her at her next spot, which is with the dwarf expedition in chapter 8. Since its only for two small areas in chapter 7 its impacted that might work for you.
    I updated this mod to 1.54 which includes:
    -Audio String Fix for any 2.5->2.6 updates.
    -Traification for BG:EE and SoD content. Someone requested and now its fulfilled!
    skushaZaghoulAciferbonewhiteglory
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    edited October 2021
    I ran into an error installing Helga into my EET build:
    //[E:\Games\Tools\WeiDU\247.00\weidu.exe] WeiDU version 24700
    //ERROR: No translation provided for @0
    //ERROR: problem parsing TP file [Helga\setup-Helga.TP2]: Not_found
    //FATAL ERROR: Not_found
    //
    //WARNING: Helga : 0 has encounter errors durring installation, exited with ExitCode = 4

Not sure what went wrong, but I will say that I had the same problem with PI, where it showed "UNDEFINED STRING: @1" instead of the named option. As an aside, the folder structure is identical to Emily, Kale, and Recorder, which all installed fine.